News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

:)

They hydrant has since been replaced with a new McAvity Brigadier, so the model wouldn’t match, but the location of the hydrant matches.

I do have a concern about the utility pole, though. In our mystery photo the pole is ahead of the front of the house, with the lamp facing us, but in the Archives image the pole is behind the front line of the house and the lamp is facing the wrong direction. However, the Archives image was taken in 1913, and road work could have been done later. If the pole was moved from Hamilton to Dundas it could explain why the house has an unused walk-up. Having said that, I think this intersection remains an excellent candidate as I review further evidence.

My many thanks to all the members of the UT History Squad who gave up personal time to chase my obsession!

Does this help?:)
s0071_it10478.jpg

Loved the hunt, wwwebster. So, here's an advanced quiz for the team. First prize goes to whoever identifies the location first:

1952:

mysterylocation.jpg

Attachments

• mysterylocation.jpg
    mysterylocation.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 663
These two amazing Then & Now's are from an animated GIF (by Ian Harris) published in "Fife and Drum", Fort York's newsletter (Dec/2013).
They were introduced by this amusing headline: "Beware of Geeks Sharing GIFs."

TNFortYork_zps76701a80.jpg

okay, here's a "then" image, which will be available on google streetview for a short while (a year? two?) before they come through again and update --

http://goo.gl/maps/jvpnN

the building to the right of the coca cola sculpture on overlea blvd is currently in the process of being torn down -- there was a crew with a back hoe busy there today

i'm not sure if anyone knows when the new "now" will be completed, whatever it turns out to be

the cocal cola demolition reminds me a bit of this video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBKSwxS7Ko0

the bata building and aga khan complex nearing completion would make another nice "then and now" comparison

Toronto's Railway Lands: Then (70s?) and Now...

These two amazing Then & Now's are from an animated GIF (by Ian Harris) published in "Fife and Drum", Fort York's newsletter (Dec/2013).
They were introduced by this amusing headline: "Beware of Geeks Sharing GIFs."

TNFortYork_zps76701a80.jpg

Goldie: Interesting comparison looking W from the CN Tower showing the development of Toronto's Railway Lands
comparing the 1980s to today - this is arguably one or Toronto's most notable changes since my first visit to
Toronto back in 1979...This prime real estate has undergone impressive development to say the least...

I noticed the GO Transit flyover in the right of the picture that was built during the early-mid 1980s that can
help give an idea to the older picture's date - it is later then I had originally thought...

It is pictures like these that make this section one of my favorites here at UT...LI MIKE

P.S. Happy (belated) New Year 2014 to all here at UT!

Last edited:

Back