News   May 10, 2024
 916     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"So, this is the place ???"
QUOTE: Prof Goldie..

"THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED!"
Quote: IPCC..)

I sure hope so!
(But I have been blind in one ear and deaf in the other eye before.)

Regards,
J T

Moose here.

JT CUNNINGHAM found and sent me this Toronto Archive picture to host and post.

I've circled our no longer mystery store in yellow pen.

I've circled the still existing pair of semis on the opposite corner in blue pen.

1AWILTONEASTTOHAMILTON1913s0372_ss0058_it0188_zpsf68edf94.jpg

Hoping this is satisfactory, we remain, etc, :)

What a fine example of team-work. First-class detectives all!

That final treasure from JT is the clincher.

I love you guys - Merry Xmas to one and all!

I dunno, I'm still waiting for wwwebster's confirmation that it's the same fire hydrant :D

Good things come to those that wait. :) And wait.

Happy Holidays Anna, and Everyone.

Then. 1982?/83? Queen St. W, N side between John and McCaul Streets. That's not a real Christmas tree lot - this was a movie set location for 'A Christmas Story.'

2008_12_16_queenstreet_zpsff06da05.jpg

Now. December 22, 2013.

PC224610_zps1351c05b.jpg

I immediately thought of the Bo Ling Chop Suey Palace that appears in the same movie. This site has done our Then and Now for us.

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/index.php/filming-locations/bo-lings-chop-suey-palace/

Fah-rah-rah-rah-rah, rah-rah-rah-rah :)

The really cool thing about location movie sets is their seeming realism and excruciating attention to detail (until you walk behind them), obvious expense and total state of 'temporariness' (gone in a few hours, or less, after the 'wrap').

I'm still in awe of the Bay store's Richmond Street facade turned into a block of 1930s New York for 'Cinderella Man'. Wish I had taken a picture.

Fah-rah-rah-rah-rah, rah-rah-rah-rah :)

The really cool thing about location movie sets is their seeming realism and excruciating attention to detail (until you walk behind them), obvious expense and total state of 'temporariness' (gone in a few hours, or less, after the 'wrap').

I'm still in awe of the Bay store's Richmond Street facade turned into a block of 1930s New York for 'Cinderella Man'. Wish I had taken a picture.

attachment.php

17750042.jpg

This wonderful (Now) photo was posted by Empty_Quarter on the "Toronto Skyline" thread.
I immediately wanted to compare it to this c.1919 photo of the waterfront which features the Harbour Commission Building.
That building has never moved, but look at the amazing surroundings that have magically appeared during the past century.

Toronto_Harbour_c1919_zps7fd6fe13.jpg

HarbourCommBldg2013byEmpty_Quarter_zps3938f20a.jpg

This wonderful (Now) photo was posted by Empty_Quarter on the "Toronto Skyline" thread.
I immediately wanted to compare it to this c.1919 photo of the waterfront which features the Harbour Commission Building.
That building has never moved, but look at the amazing surroundings that have magically appeared during the past century.

Love love love your photo Goldie.

as for the changes, I dunno about anybody else, but I would hate to be in one of those waterfront condos during an earthquake. How stable is that landfill?

Anyway, the reason why I was searching the thread is because I think in *one* of these threads, there was a pic of Danforth looking t/w the Viaduct from Broadview c1962, showing a rooftop 7-Up "Fresh-Up" sign---if anyone can trace it...

Anyway, the reason why I was searching the thread is because I think in *one* of these threads, there was a pic of Danforth looking t/w the Viaduct from Broadview c1962, showing a rooftop 7-Up "Fresh-Up" sign---if anyone can trace it...

Is this the pic you're looking for?

4066 1962 04 00 broadview & danforth unknown small.jpg

Attachments

• 4066 1962 04 00 broadview & danforth unknown small.jpg
    4066 1962 04 00 broadview & danforth unknown small.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 712
That's it. (And boy, the building it stood on was tiny.)

Further questions...

(a) I'm trying to deduce from the photo, but would there have been an identical sign facing the opposite (W) direction?, and
(b) what was that monster sign facing the Viaduct (of which we see the backside)?

And, when would all this have been dismantled/vanished?

I do know that there was a near-identical 7-Up sign at Bloor & Jane as late as 1968 (though it's interesting to see the differences: thicker outlines and softer curves in the B-J example), paired off with an immense Goodyear sign that dominated the westward Bloor vista for years...

That's it. (And boy, the building it stood on was tiny.)

Further questions...

(a) I'm trying to deduce from the photo, but would there have been an identical sign facing the opposite (W) direction?, and
(b) what was that monster sign facing the Viaduct (of which we see the backside)?

And, when would all this have been dismantled/vanished?

I do know that there was a near-identical 7-Up sign at Bloor & Jane as late as 1968 (though it's interesting to see the differences: thicker outlines and softer curves in the B-J example), paired off with an immense Goodyear sign that dominated the westward Bloor vista for years...

I don't know when that 1962 view was altered, but this is the view today (Broadview Manor):

Screen shot 2014-01-01 at 11.09.28 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-01-01 at 11.09.28 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-01-01 at 11.09.28 AM.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 692
i'm having a real hard time seeing this as the view across broadview towards the bloor viaduct

that house directly above the white car, is that supposed to be on cambridge avenue or across the valley on castle frank?

comparable modern view -- http://goo.gl/maps/UmDrv

distances seem off to me

Back