136     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 376     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"something about that little ritual of when to pull out the clutch,"
QUOTE the lemur.

I am afraid that you have choked, clutch(ing) at straws.

There, I fixed it. Pull out the choke, let out the clutch. It's been a long time.

What I don't miss about my first car is the fact that it would noticeably slow down when you turned the AC on. Those were different times.

And if you care to stroll north up this lane you will come upon Marlborough Place, one of the most charming streets in our city.

I was born there in 1957 (well, born at New Mount Sinai, but the family lived there. Big brother was swatted repeatedly over the head for crossing the "big" road)

IIRC This was the original location of CTC's in-house Carburetor rebuilding plant which relocated to Yonge St across from the Young/Davenport retail store. It was also used for the manufacture of store fixtures (which they also did in-house)
I believe that is the "Relocation" referred to on the for lease sign.
This was never a retail store.

The sign says they are relocating to 'By-pass & Bayview' - aka the 401 and Bayview - the distribution centre opened there in 1963.

The sign says they are relocating to 'By-pass & Bayview' - aka the 401 and Bayview - the distribution centre opened there in 1963.
Yep, CTC distribution centre on Shepard west of Leslie, Long gone now as well!
Loving the chatter these last few days, Soy Sauce, Chestnut St., there was a Queen St. connection further east. IIRC China Lily was on Queen east near Leslie.
(No, it was a different company I think. Same one that packaged the little pouches for Chinese food delivery. I can't recall just now)
Canadian Tire, Loved the old stores with the terazzo logo at the entrances. And as to carburetted cars I present my 78 Chrysler NewYorker Brougham,
It is available for photo shoots, especially if it involves a TO then and now!
Picture058.jpg

Last edited:
"my 78 Chrysler NewYorker Brougham."
QUOTE mattelderca.

A truely fine automobile!

(I know, because I had a '77.)

Regards,
J T

I was born there in 1957 (well, born at New Mount Sinai, but the family lived there. Big brother was swatted repeatedly over the head for crossing the "big" road)

LOL, the roadway was/is wide enough for just one car. It's really a glorified lane. Those little homes lining it are real gems - probably don't last long when they are put up on the market.

Yep, CTC distribution centre on Shepard west of Leslie, Long gone now as well!
Loving the chatter these last few days, Soy Sauce, Chestnut St., there was a Queen St. connection further east. IIRC China Lily was on Queen east near Leslie.
(No, it was a different company I think. Same one that packaged the little pouches for Chinese food delivery. I can't recall just now)
Canadian Tire, Loved the old stores with the terazzo logo at the entrances. And as to carburetted cars I present my 78 Chrysler NewYorker Brougham,
It is available for photo shoots, especially if it involves a TO then and now!
Picture058.jpg

China Lily... such a memorable sign...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gingermaddy/4411036487/

This wonderful old car reminds me of something lurking just beneath the surface of this thread. That something is an admiration for preserved old objects, machines, instruments, etc; still in use. Goldie has shown us his old cameras in the past. Monk's dad's telegraph key has made an appearance. ValsHere's mom's heroism citation.

In that vein, I will be digging up some old objects from my closets and [very] occasionally post them.
Let's see how it goes. I encourage readers here to do the same. A show and tell if you will. Tie it back into your family history. I do realize most are here for the Then and Nows, but as I said let's see if it catches on or doesn't.

Then and Now for June 28.

Then. Globe & Mail newspaper article about January 17 1957 opening of Ontario College of Art on McCaul Street.

ASC06484.jpg

Now. March 2011.

DSC_4036.jpg

LOL, the roadway was/is wide enough for just one car. It's really a glorified lane. Those little homes lining it are real gems - probably don't last long when they are put up on the market.

I'm guessing people would be buying them primarily for the houses themselves and not because of the location, being right up against the tracks.

Then and Now for June 29.

Then. 'Last Day of Firehall.' sez the description for this Toronto Archive photo. 1970. Berkeley Street.

LastdayofFirehallNo41onBerkleyStreet1970.jpg

Now. March 2011.

DSCF4041.jpg

First day of the Firehall?

s0372_ss0041_it0806.jpg

The description says Berkeley Street fire hall - construction [1905]

Back