News   Apr 24, 2024
 286     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 696     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

One more theatre, (the only one I know of based on quonset hut construction), the Roxy in Woodbridge, seemingly in a farmer's field, opened in 1950, closed in 1960.

roxytheatrewoodbridge1950-1.jpg
roxy-1.jpg

It's been a while since I last visited Uxbridge, but if I recall correctly there's a small Quonset hut hidden behind the facade of the Roxy Theatre there.

One more theatre, (the only one I know of based on quonset hut construction), the Roxy in Woodbridge, seemingly in a farmer's field, opened in 1950, closed in 1960.

roxy-1.jpg

The Cooksville Roxy, exactly the same as this one was at the NW corner of King and Hurontario. I attended the last show, don't ask me the date. It's now the expaned Orchard Family Restaurent. The original Orchard used to be behind the Roxy. It had great roast beef sandwiches.

Looks like it was a school or something in the then photo and not a Bell switching centre.

I have no idea the history of this building. The pair of lamps flanking the doors are real survivors.

roxy-1.jpg

That is probably the most unique thing I've seen here in awhile. I'm imagining this photo in colour.

October 2 addition.

DSCF1117-1.jpg

fo0217_ser0249_f0217_s0249_fl0083_i.jpg

DSCF1118-1.jpg

DSCF1112.jpg

Another location I frequented often. Totally forgot RS Kane Funeral Home used to be located here. Another location I've unfortunately had to frequent often in recent years at the current location.

Lansing Historic site and building...saved!

Mustapha: Good pics of the Lansing historic site and building-which was saved.
That first pic with the Dempsey's Hardware Store is my guess 1970 judging from the cars(note the Ford T-Bird with the hideaway headlights) and the area.
JL is right-that tagger marked up a perfectly good historic note sign-NOT cool at any time! Thoughts from LI MIKE

Dempsey Hardware

Nice to see that old photo of Dempsey Hardware.
Here's a photo of Jim Dempsey in the store with an old scale made by International Business Machines (IBM).

Attachments

• Jim Dempsey Hardware.jpg
    Jim Dempsey Hardware.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 762
What idiot(s) tagged the heritage sign? Absolutely no class!!

The stainless steel plaques showing photographs of the old Yorkville Town Hall and historic map of the neighbourhood at Townhall Square (18 Yorkville) were tagged by keying within a week of installation a few years ago.

IMGP1667i.jpg

Photo by Taller, Better at Skyscrapercity.com

Last edited:
2942 Dundas St.West

Anyone have a photo of this site as it looks today?
The Beaver Theatre at 2942 Dundas St.West.

Attachments

• Beaver cinema 1930 -2942 Dundas St. W.jpg
    Beaver cinema 1930 -2942 Dundas St. W.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 653
Anyone have a photo of this site as it looks today?
The Beaver Theatre at 2942 Dundas St.West.

From www.movie-theatre.org:

Beaver
2942 Dundas West
The Beaver Theatre, located on the south side of Dundas Street West, 3 blocks west of Keele Street, opened in mid-June 1913.
It became part of the Allen Theatre chain early in its’ history. In the 1920’s the theatre advertised with the Palace, St. Clair, York (Bloor and Yonge), Beach, Capitol, Oakwood, Alhambra, Parkdale, and Danforth Theatres forming the “Neighbourhood Theatres†of Toronto. By October 7, 1933 the Beaver became part of the B & F Theatre chain. Following a long run of the movie “Gone With the Wind†the Beaver closed on December 2, 1961. Following the 1962 demolition the site was occupied by doctor’s offices, an accordion college, cleaners, a children’s wear shop, and a finance company, with 3 floors of apartments above. 1162 seats.
Godfrey Mallion provided additional info for this theatre.

Last August, Mustapha, you posted some pictures of the SW corner of Yonge and Adelaide. Looking on the Ontario Archives Visual Database site I ran across some photos of the Adelaide Street Coach Terminal (offering express service to the suburbs) that once existed on the south side of Adelaide, just west of Yonge (now site of Scotia Plaza). Not sure of the dates as to when it was built and when it got demolished, but it stood on the site of the old Grand Opera House, which was taken down in 1927:

1921:

413px-Grand_Opera_House_in_1913.jpg
1948:
adelaidebusterminal1948a.jpg

adelaidebusterminal1948.jpg

1960's:

YongeandAdelaideSWaa.jpg

October 3rd (sorry I'm late) and 4th additions.

Then: King and York SW corner, c1960?

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0035.jpg

Now: August 2009.

DSCF1122-1.jpg

Something from a display at this years Canadian National Exhibition. Artifact item 4 - soda bottle - dug up from the grounds of Stanley Barracks.

The A & W Burns soda business at 406 Yonge was in the NW quadrant of the present Yonge and Gerrard intersection.

DSCF1130-1.jpg

DSCF1131.jpg

Looks to be hand made; I don't know anything about bottles of this vintage. It would also be nice to know something of the history of this business.

Back