News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I don't understand what they were thinking in not releasing the feature for Apple Pay too. I don't know a single person who owns a Google phone and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Apple is over 50% of the mobile market in Canada, you'd need to be brain dead to not expect customers to demand it.
It's just another fumble from Presto and the government.

Anyone able to use Google Pay (via Android NFC) at a TTC fare-gate? I've used that mechanism to pay for GO and UP rides but it's rejected at Dufferin and Union Station. Tried both debit and credit at a couple different banks.

A physical card was accepted.
I had problems this week on some busses that posted a message that only presto cards were accepted.

what phone are you using and are you in any beta for the operating system. The only reason why I'm asking is that sometimes with Pixel phones when they are in a beta they sometimes have an issue with Google wallet working as it should.

It's a Pixel 4a running Android 13.

I had problems this week on some busses that posted a message that only presto cards were accepted.
What happened if you didn’t have your presto? I can’t imagine they can deny your entry when that payment method is widely advertised

Can anyone explain this one? First tap on York Region (north of Steeles. Second tap on TTC 53 Steeles. Then I tapped onto GO at Milliken and out at Kennedy.

Somehow, I got 18¢ because I took GO after a YRT trip, than I'd have had if I just took YRT. Did the TTC trip in the middle screw it up?
1696472603712.png

Can anyone explain this one? First tap on York Region (north of Steeles. Second tap on TTC 53 Steeles. Then I tapped onto GO at Milliken and out at Kennedy.

Somehow, I got 18¢ because I took GO after a YRT trip, than I'd have had if I just took YRT. Did the TTC trip in the middle screw it up?
View attachment 511237
Overall, you were charged correctly. The fare from Milliken to Kennedy is $3.70 on GO. When you take YRT to GO, your trip on YRT is free which is why you were refunded $0.18.

Overall, you were charged correctly. The fare from Milliken to Kennedy is $3.70 on GO. When you take YRT to GO, your trip on YRT is free which is why you were refunded $0.18.
Oh ... I guess YRT is more expensive than GO now (!).

I'm surprised they don't charge the greater of the GO fare and the local fare. Perhaps they never considered the lowest GO fare would be lower than the local fare!

Last night I was unable to pay for the GO bus at Union Station using Google Pay nor an actual credit card, this isn't the first time that happened, but I was let on for free. Just looks bad when the majority of people are using regular cards that work fine.

I also got my train fare inspection from using Google Pay, it seems to make a secondary beep on the inspection machine, probably it needs to check online or something.

From Union to Kitchener GO, the standard fare (E-Ticket) costs $19.40. However, if paying by PRESTO, the adult fare is:
1. $16.32 if taking the GO train all the way to Kitchener GO (best way if you can catch a Kitchener train)
2. $17.00 if taking the train to Bramalea and transferring to the 30 GO Bus (best way on Weekends and when trains terminate at Bramalea)
3. [just for comparision] a whopping $22.93 if I take the 71 to Unionville, 56 to Bramalea and then the 30

All of these would cost the same ($19.40) using E-Ticket. When comparing (1) and (2), it makes no sense to me that PRESTO users are charged 68 cents more for an inferior experience (slower and less convenient).

edit: links updated with future date

Last edited:
From Union to Kitchener GO, the standard fare (E-Ticket) costs $19.40. However, if paying by PRESTO, the adult fare is:
1. $16.32 if taking the GO train all the way to Kitchener GO (best way if you can catch a Kitchener train)
2. $17.00 if taking the train to Bramalea and transferring to the 30 GO Bus (best way on Weekends and when trains terminate at Bramalea)
3. [just for comparision] a whopping $22.93 if I take the 71 to Unionville, 56 to Bramalea and then the 30

All of these would cost the same ($19.40) using E-Ticket. When comparing (1) and (2), it makes no sense to me that PRESTO users are charged 68 cents more for an inferior experience (slower and less convenient).

That's an interesting quirk worth contacting Metrolinx about. Kitchener GO Bus and Kitchener GO must be different zones in the Presto System.

FYI, when linking trip information use a future date.

Reactions: jys

edit: links updated with future date

Union Zone 2
Bramalea Zone 32
Kitchener Zone 27
Unionville Zone 71

The transfer credit is set at the old base PRESTO fare of $4.41 (it's $5.30*0.841...).

Toronto to Kitchener via Train is Zone 2 to Zone 27
$19.40 cash fare, $19.40 Cash Fare*0.841 PRESTO Discount = $16.32 PRESTO Fare

Toronto to Kitchener with a transfer at Bramalea is Zone 2 to Zone 27 via Zone 32
Zone 2 to Zone 32 cash fare is $9.55*0.841 = $8.04
Zone 32 to Zone 27 cash fare is $16.25*0.841 = $13.67
The total total fare without transfer credits is $21.71.
After transfer credits, it's $17.00.

Toronto to Kitchener via Unionville and Bramalea is Zone 2 to Zone 27 via Zone 71 and Zone 32
Zone 2 to Zone 71 cash fare is $9.25*0.841 = $7.78
Zone 71 to Zone 32 cash fare is $12.95*0.841 = $10.89
The total fare from Zone 2 to Zone 71 without transfer credits is $18.67
The first transfer credit of $4.41 is applied.
After transfer credits. the trip from Union to Bramalea via Unionville is $13.97
Zone 32 to Zone 27 cash fare is $16.25*0.841 = $13.67
The total PRESTO fare with only one transfer credit is $27.64
A second transfer credit of $4.41 is applied.
The total fare is $22.93 after all transfer credits.

The Tariff of Fares is available here: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/upload/Documents/GO/By-Law_No2A.pdf

Reactions: jys
The total total fare without transfer credits is $21.71.
After transfer credits, it's $17.00.
That implies the transfer credit is $4.71, which comes from where?

As I understand it, GO fares are supposed to be determined by start and end zones. Why is a transfer, within the GO system, doing anything to the price?

There used to be a calculator on the GO website where you could simply enter the start and end zones and it would give the prices of that trip, either full fare, presto, student, etc. without needing to specify the day to "plan" the trip. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore.

Found the link in my history: https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/calculate-fare
but it now redirects to the "trip planner".

Last edited:
That implies the transfer credit is $4.71, which comes from where?

As I understand it, GO fares are supposed to be determined by start and end zones. Why is a transfer, within the GO system, doing anything to the price?

There used to be a calculator on the GO website where you could simply enter the start and end zones and it would give the prices of that trip, either full fare, presto, student, etc. without needing to specify the day to "plan" the trip. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore.

Found the link in my history: https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/calculate-fare
but it now redirects to the "trip planner".
Bus-Rail and Rail-Rail transfers are $4.71, Bus-Bus transfers are $4.41. The old fare calculator doesn't exist anymore. But, if you mess with the one that's there now enough, you'll find patterns.

I forgot, $4.71 is a legacy from when UP Express fares were integrated with GO since the lowest 1-stop UP Express fare is $4.71.

Back