News   May 03, 2024
 817     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 517     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 256     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

According to presto when replying to someone they said this, for those that use android phones is this true
IMG_0531.jpeg

Reactions: PL1
Never supported the Presto system before it entre service as there were too many issues with it and info from someone close to the system in the first place. It was another built in Ontario to be sold worldwide like the SRT and were did the SRT go??

The Presto card and system was to save money for the various transit system for fare collections as well transferring from one system to another, but I have said it will cost more in the long run.

Fare collection/system is costing systems 6-8% if not more to the point Mississauga will see the rate jump from 7% to 9% starting in 2024. It been said that on a given day 15%+ of the buses see the Presto system out of service. Have experience it a number of times.

Any changes a system wants to make to their system. ML will require a payment to make that or those changes at high cost to do so.

It would be interesting to see how much the farecard system in Waterloo cost in comparison. Though the system is simpler, and has no discounts for transferring to other systems. And still has no sign of enabling the use of debit/credit.

Why does it permanently cancel the card...? What if your phone is dead, and you want to use your physical card as a back up? What if you want to give your card to someone else?

Trust Metrolinx to even bungle this.

Why does it permanently cancel the card...? What if your phone is dead, and you want to use your physical card as a back up? What if you want to give your card to someone else?

Trust Metrolinx to even bungle this.
I don't know how accurate this is, but in the reddit post it was mentioned that the card stores balance and pass values. If both the physical card and the phone pass card are used concurrently, they could become unsynchronized. Additionally, it's logical to restrict the card's use to prevent simultaneous access by multiple users especially considering how they're used for determining transfers and trip taps on and off on GO. If you really intend to share your card... just don't convert it to a digital mobile version.

I'm not sure about Android, but iPhones in a power reserve state can still function as a transit pass.

I don't know how accurate this is, but in the reddit post it was mentioned that the card stores balance and pass values. If both the physical card and the phone pass card are used concurrently, they could become unsynchronized. Additionally, it's logical to restrict the card's use to prevent simultaneous access by multiple users especially considering how they're used for determining transfers and trip taps on and off on GO. If you really intend to share your card... just don't convert it to a digital mobile version.

I'm not sure about Android, but iPhones in a power reserve state can still function as a transit pass.

I believe Clipper in the Bay Area is the same way. If you transfer it to your wallet the plastic card is permanently cancelled.

Attachments

• IMG_8556.jpeg
    IMG_8556.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 25
Someone just posted this on Reddit looks like presto card will go live on google wallet on November 14
View attachment 519196

Wow, this is downright a terrible implementation, lately I've just been paying with Google Pay with a credit card on the account for the last couple of months now, beats doing this plus you don't have to pay $6 for the Presto card to begin with.

Wow, this is downright a terrible implementation, lately I've just been paying with Google Pay with a credit card on the account for the last couple of months now, beats doing this plus you don't have to pay $6 for the Presto card to begin with.
How is it a bad implementation? What could they have done differently?

Requiring a 10 year old to have a credit card to take the TTC is annoying, particularly when the fare is free for them (tap still required for the faregate to open). This is a reasonable way of implementing a wholly digital special fare mechanism, and there is no technical benefit to limiting it to only special fares.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you could have two TTC Fair Pass presto cards a physical one and virtual one, especially at the beginning when u don’t know how well it will work especially when your phone is dead it could be useful having a physical one as well

Does anyone know if you could have two TTC Fair Pass presto cards a physical one and virtual one, especially at the beginning when u don’t know how well it will work especially when your phone is dead it could be useful having a physical one as well
No, once you change it to a digital card the physical card won't work. At least that's what people who have used digital cards on other systems like London's Oyseter card or others. It's so that you can't pass the card off to someone else to use well you use the digital one. If you have concerns about it and don't have a backup like a smart watch or another phone with google wallet don't do it.

Back