News   Apr 26, 2024
 947     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 775     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

It was reported by the media in December 15, right after the meeting.

CITY didn't mention the tap out of subway stations (item 1c), but did mention the peak-pricing (item 1h) while referencing the staff report.

"Riders could see..." "The TTC is hoping.."

Metro reported it, erroneously noting that you'll have to tap out of buses and streetcars

"The TTC board is considering..."

"The TTC board is looking at...", "Possible changes include..."

It's not happening anytime soon, but it was clearly approved, and it's blindingly obvious to everyone else here! If you can't read the minutes and see that it was approved, I have to wonder about the value of your contributions here, as I'm not sure the reading comprehension is there.
Stop beating a dead horse and simply admit you were mistaken. It happens.

I'll just leave it at this: I would bet a lot of money that the TTC will open a subway station at Don Mills & York Mills before you have to tap off the subway system.

- Every recommendation except this one has "Approved" under it in the minutes
- There isn't a single news article saying it was adopted, which there obviously would be if it had been adopted
- There isn't a single TTC release saying it was adopted, which there also obviously would be if it had been adopted
- The TTC isn't setting up the infrastructure that is needed if it had been adopted

Holy crap, what more do you want? Do we need to put Andy Byford on a polygraph and post the video here?
For the 100th time, there doesn't need to be a news article saying it was adopted, the MINUTES say it was ADOPTED. And nfitz has provided a list of media links, so yes, there is more than a single news article.

Stop beating a dead horse and simply admit you were mistaken. It happens.

"Riders could see..." "The TTC is hoping.."
Oh good grief. I give up - clearly you are only interested in trolling us. The minutes and TTC release are abundantly clear. Which means that likely everything that you say here is equally as questionable.

Some of the news article predate the meeting where it was approved. Chris Sulley in the National Pissed is unequivocal however, the following day - http://nationalpost.com/news/toront...er-continues-slaughter-of-sacred-toronto-cows

Re-one ride tickets. There is no incentive to tap off buses or streetcars when the ticket is one-trip. I doubt the tap-off policy will mean anything - why bother?

On the subway, where the gates won't open without a tap, you may need to tap off, a la Paris. But - now the (no longer usable) ticket is in your hand, instead of your pocket. And you no longer need it.

Guess where 90% of those now-unusable cards will go : right on the floor.

- Paul

Re-one ride tickets. There is no incentive to tap off buses or streetcars when the ticket is one-trip. I doubt the tap-off policy will mean anything - why bother?

On the subway, where the gates won't open without a tap, you may need to tap off, a la Paris. But - now the (no longer usable) ticket is in your hand, instead of your pocket. And you no longer need it.

Guess where 90% of those now-unusable cards will go : right on the floor.

- Paul

They are not planning to require tap-offs from buses and streetcars fortunately,

And I do think that requiring tap-offs at subway stations is needless and dumb, and they will never get riders to start tapping on buses at fare-paid bus terminals. but that is a good point about tickets becoming litter at the fare gates when riders tap and exit.

There seems to be a major Presto programming issue today (Nov 16th) Several cards have been blocked in error. People are unable to tap on devices.

There seems to be a major Presto programming issue today (Nov 16th) Several cards have been blocked in error. People are unable to tap on devices.

I also noticed on their twitter that Brampton Transit terminals couldn't refill Presto cards at some point today. Probably related.

I can confirm the Presto issue on Thursday. I was unable to tap on at the bus stop and at the subway station on my way home from work. I checked the Presto website this morning, and my card is still reading as cancelled.

From the Presto website:
"A fix is being rolled out to address the issue we were experiencing where some cards were incorrectly cancelled, but it will take time to update the whole system. While many customers' cards are now working, some customers will continue to experience issues. If your card is still affected, please ride as you normally would. We appreciate your continued patience and we apologize for the inconvenience. Please disregard any email you receive stating your card has been blocked. Check back for regular updates."

From the Presto website:
"A fix is being rolled out to address the issue we were experiencing where some cards were incorrectly cancelled, but it will take time to update the whole system. While many customers' cards are now working, some customers will continue to experience issues. If your card is still affected, please ride as you normally would. We appreciate your continued patience and we apologize for the inconvenience. Please disregard any email you receive stating your card has been blocked. Check back for regular updates."

That message didn't make a lot of sense to me when I saw it this morning...especially the part saying "please ride as you normally would." How is that possible when the card won't let me through the gates?

That message didn't make a lot of sense to me when I saw it this morning...especially the part saying "please ride as you normally would." How is that possible when the card won't let me through the gates?

I know, I wondered about that too.
I think it was referring to transit trips that didn’t have fare gates and only required the driver to prevent you from riding. Maybe if there were fare gates, you had to get staff to open another one for you?

I think it was referring to transit trips that didn’t have fare gates and only required the driver to prevent you from riding. Maybe if there were fare gates, you had to get staff to open another one for you?

Unfortunately all fare collectors don't seem to be on the same page. The guy at Sheppard West station on Thursday basically told me that it wasn't his problem and that he was under no obligation to let me in. Thankfully I had a credit card with me.

Back