News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 286     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 812     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Wellesley Station's faregates are being installed.
From Twitter
Check out @c_9's Tweet: https://twitter.com/c_9/status/725158767243984896?s=09

IMG_20160427_082502.jpg

I been on a bus recently with a broken fare box. It was on the 186. Free rides for everyone. It's not just presto.
But really, how many times have you seen a broken farebox compared to an Out of Service reader? (Not the same but seriously, it's ridiculous how many readers are OOS lately)

Attachments

• IMG_20160427_082502.jpg
    IMG_20160427_082502.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 867
Is this a known TTC Infrastructure issue or a Presto hardware reader defect?

There gotta be a warranty on electronics by the manufacturer, as part of the contract...

Also Brad Ross tweeted this. Couple of routes will be enabled this summer as well.

Screenshot_20160427-100950~01.png

He also provided the division order for implementation.
Screenshot_20160427-102950~01.png

Is this a known TTC Infrastructure issue or a Presto hardware reader defect?

There gotta be a warranty on electronics by the manufacturer, as part of the contract...

From what I know, the readers are PRESTO property and the new faregates are the TTC's. And I'm pretty sure Metrolinx is pretty toothless on the reliability of the readers, stating that they're readers are more realible than the Thales readers. Most likely however, this is a software issue. Ever since TTC transfer rules have been implemented, instances of OOS readers have become more frequent than when the temporary 2hr transfer rule was in place.

(EDIT: All buses to couple of routes)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160427-100950~01.png
    Screenshot_20160427-100950~01.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 808
  • Screenshot_20160427-102950~01.png
    Screenshot_20160427-102950~01.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:
The bottom line is that Metrolinx isn't fixing them. Perhaps you keep seeing car 4120?
I think at this point that does legitimately mean free rides if the Presto readers are out of service. TTC says that all streetcars and essentially connecting subway stations have Presto readers now. If I'm planning a trip that uses Presto-accessible stations, I shouldn't have to carry a back-up token.

I think at this point that does legitimately mean free rides if the Presto readers are out of service. TTC says that all streetcars and essentially connecting subway stations have Presto readers now. If I'm planning a trip that uses Presto-accessible stations, I shouldn't have to carry a back-up token.
It does mean free rides. TTC keeps saying that if both readers are out, you don't have to pay on that vehicle. Either tap on the next vehicle/station, or if only one leg, it's a free ride.

Wellesley Station's faregates are being installed.

But really, how many times have you seen a broken farebox compared to an Out of Service reader? (Not the same but seriously, it's ridiculous how many readers are OOS lately)
Depends on the cars you ride, I haven't notice too many broken ones.

I haven't seen broken fareboxes for a very long time until recently. Even if fareboxes were half broken back then, the driver will still take your fare. Now they just let people rider for free.

Steve Munro noted that in a post-paper transfer world, a person making a three leg trip where the middle one involves an inoperative Presto vehicle may be charged for two trips, since the tap for the third leg would see the trip as new and not a transfer from the second.

Wellesley station is now PRESTO enabled.
The Downtown U is now PRESTO enabled. (With the exception of some secondary entrances.)
I think the TTC's new map of Presto stations should asterisk those with multiple entrances not all of which are enabled, e.g. King Station Commerce Court. I do hope that when gates are installed there that an opportunity is taken to change the currently awful layout and traffic flow, especially permitting exit via the turnstiles during the PM rush when a steady flow of people is entering. If the revolving gates are good enough to take the entire AM peak load why can't those leaving the station during PM peak use them?

Wellesley station is now PRESTO enabled.
The Downtown U is now PRESTO enabled. (With the exception of some secondary entrances.)

I'm looking forward to the Yonge Street entrance to Bloor-Yonge being enabled
Steve Munro noted that in a post-paper transfer world, a person making a three leg trip where the middle one involves an inoperative Presto vehicle may be charged for two trips, since the tap for the third leg would see the trip as new and not a transfer from the second.

I log into my Presto card account regularly now to find out whether I got overcharged on a trip. It appears that the TTC has quietly adopted Montreal-style rules for Presto, which means:

- After initial tap, all travel is included for two hours, except:
- Tapping back on to the same surface route
- Re-entering the rapid transit system

Short stopovers are now possible, as are return trips as long as you take a different route. For example, I was in Parkdale for about 30 minutes (the person I was supposed to meet was a no-show). I took the 501 Queen there, and to try it out, I walked down to King Street and took the 504 back. I didn't get charged for the second trip.

http://ttc.ca/News/2016/May/05-02-16.jsp

Some buses are now Presto enabled today.
Article says 19, and doesn't mention any specific routes. (I'm aware that any bus could have it - but I hoped that it would at least be assigned to buses on specific routes asit rolled out - say the Express bus routes operating from Kipling)
Unless I'm mistaken, it's buses from Queensway garage first.

"A PRESTO-sign will be displayed on buses that have PRESTO readers so customers know if their bus is equipped with PRESTO."
Anyone seen one live yet?

Back