News   May 22, 2024
 21     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 270     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 2.2K     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Searched for Durham-Scarborough BRT thread and assume weve been dumping stuff here... Anyways, more slippage in the schedule.
In mid September I asked if the preliminary design business case was still on schedule
Frustratingly received the update today that it will be done at some point in '24...
The upcoming Durham Region Transit Executive Meeting agenda has been posted with an update on the DSBRT. The PDBC is still in progress and imagine is scheduled for completion this year given other information:

It looks like the first construction of section is now going to be in Ajax (I believe Pickering was slated first before) starting hopefully the end of this calendar pending first nations consultations (the last thing to hold it up?):
1714744229929.png

1714744198358.png

It's quite a slow moving project, but maybe this is only the infra-canada funded segments? I'll guess I'll wait to see the presentation on the 8th...

The update also has information about studying the Simcoe St rapid transit in Oshawa...and this stood out for me:
1714744326225.png

Cable cars in Oshawa? Or are they just trying to force the BRT over LRT discussion?

Last edited:
I just do not buy those advantages.

Shorter construction time?
Ability to easily add capacity?
Level boarding??? (Well - you have to take an elevator up, and I guess once you’re up there it’s level boarding, but…)

But, maybe I’m speaking out of ignorance.

I would just nix this off the bat because we don’t have experience with this mode. We’re starting to get construction and operational experience putting together LRTs and BRTs. Let’s take advantage of that institutional knowledge.

I just do not buy those advantages.

Shorter construction time?
Ability to easily add capacity?
Level boarding??? (Well - you have to take an elevator up, and I guess once you’re up there it’s level boarding, but…)

But, maybe I’m speaking out of ignorance.

I would just nix this off the bat because we don’t have experience with this mode. We’re starting to get construction and operational experience putting together LRTs and BRTs. Let’s take advantage of that institutional knowledge.
they just needed a second option to compare against their preferred BRT option. they will for sure go with BRT

The upcoming Durham Region Transit Executive Meeting agenda has been posted with an update on the DSBRT. The PDBC is still in progress and imagine is scheduled for completion this year given other information:

It looks like the first construction of section is now going to be in Ajax (I believe Pickering was slated first before) starting hopefully the end of this calendar pending first nations consultations (the last thing to hold it up?):
View attachment 561032
View attachment 561031
It's quite a slow moving project, but maybe this is only the infra-canada funded segments? I'll guess I'll wait to see the presentation on the 8th...

The update also has information about studying the Simcoe St rapid transit in Oshawa...and this stood out for me:
View attachment 561034

Cable cars in Oshawa? Or are they just trying to force the BRT over LRT discussion?
Following up from the May 8th meeting: Sadly this project is going to take well over 10 years...for a BRT. My understanding is that funding is the main issue, yet we are still at least 5 years away from any construction for segments not mentioned above. Here are some segments I thought merit discussion:

45 min:
Anyone have any insight as to why the indigenous consultations is a new process (as claimed in the meeting) and this is the first time we've done this? Because this is federally funded, I'm guessing somehow Metrolinx (or is it Durham Region?) was unaware of some federal requirement to engage indigenous population? Would that make sense?

50 minute:
1715698983311.png

They utilize the above bullet point (as it relates to existing DRT Pulse service/bus lanes) to promote the benefits of using a BRT service along Simcoe St in Oshawa, and at the same time, give an update to a BRT project that probably won't start construction for another decade (in Oshawa). One hand is saying look at all the great things we've got once we've got it...and the other is saying we aren't in a rush to build anything anytime soon. For a transit agency that has shown great latent demand this is frustrating to hear.

A bit further along, I found it funny they referenced the Portland Aerial transit system, which had cost overruns (over 4 times initial costs), at the same time they promote cost savings from using this method (over BRT). I cannot fathom that they are actively moving forward to study this method. Another example of them looking for excuses to not move projects forward with any sense of urgency.

1hr 6 minutes:
The team shared the small sections of the DSBRT (mentioned in previous posts) are indeed the only ones funded (via Infrastructure Canada). Metrolinx is working through the PDBC which will be completed by the summer, and will need to seek funding for other sections...which at the earliest would take 5 years once it goes through treasury. This means starting construction 2029-2030 (again, best case scenario - basically unlikely as I read).

So....yes, what an incredibly slow project. Again, we're not looking at anything partially complete for another 6 years at this point...ridiculous for something that has been going on for 5 years already and that they promised portions would already be complete next year. I embarrassingly had to lookup the Eglinton crosstown dates to compare how long things take...

@crs1026 has been the great analyzer of Mx financial expenditure plans over the years..........

So...I was just perusing the 2024-2025 supplementary estimates (cause what else does one do for reading material while eating some Tabouli for lunch?)

Thought I'd share this and then let Paul do the hard work:

1715708284341.png

@crs1026 has been the great analyzer of Mx financial expenditure plans over the years..........

So...I was just perusing the 2024-2025 supplementary estimates (cause what else does one do for reading material while eating some Tabouli for lunch?)

Thought I'd share this and then let Paul do the hard work:

Sure, offer a couple of potato chips and then make me go look for the bag....... ;-)

The raw numbers from the past three years' Estimates are shown below. Certainly at face value there is no reduction in funding out there, the real question (which remains unasnwered) is - what's the projected cash flow of the various projects that Ford added, and how does that affect the funds available for what was already on the plate?

One would expect that capital spending must be increasing as projects such as the Hurontario and Finch LRT, Ontario Line, Crosstown West, and Scarborough Line 2 reach the shovels-in-ground stage. So the significant ramping-up of capital spending in this year's estimates is certainly credible. The estimates don't break out GO Expansion nor do they indicate where the money for Crosstown - presumably a bill that is still outstanding - is coming from (has it been set aside in past years?)

Going back through the previous years' estimates, the most interesting thing is the addition of the "Dedicated Funding for Public Transit" line which seems to show additional funding of some sort.

One certainly doesn't see any reduction in transit investment, which is a pleasant change from past Conservative governments. Gotta give Mr Ford credit for that. But how well ML is spending the money would need a bit more granular data.

- Paul

1715716117900.png

I absolutely think we need to make it easier for buses to get in/out of the terminal. That said, how would it be limited to public transit vehicles?

I absolutely think we need to make it easier for buses to get in/out of the terminal. That said, how would it be limited to public transit vehicles?

There is no 'design' attached. So I would be inclined to the City's default approach here.

Red paint, signage, and maybe, if we're lucky, some enforcement.

I doubt there will be a physical barrier, for now, unless road work is planned, but we shall see.

There is no 'design' attached. So I would be inclined to the City's default approach here.

Red paint, signage, and maybe, if we're lucky, some enforcement.

I doubt there will be a physical barrier, for now, unless road work is planned, but we shall see.
Ugh - I was hoping for hardened infrastructure, similar to what the Port Authority has from NY’s PABT to the Lincoln Tunnel. I believe there’s an exclusive lane inside the tunnel too, but…can’t be certain.

I know that people disagree with me on this, but having public transit-only lanes on the Gardiner/Lakeshore would be amazing and get more out of our buses.

Ugh - I was hoping for hardened infrastructure, similar to what the Port Authority has from NY’s PABT to the Lincoln Tunnel. I believe there’s an exclusive lane inside the tunnel too, but…can’t be certain.

I know that people disagree with me on this, but having public transit-only lanes on the Gardiner/Lakeshore would be amazing and get more out of our buses.
I think a lot of the backlash is due to the fact that basically every bus on lakeshore or the highway is from outside the city. (GO or regional buses) You're effectively prioritizing the 905 commuters 24/7 over the people who actually live in Toronto.

I think a lot of the backlash is due to the fact that basically every bus on lakeshore or the highway is from outside the city. (GO or regional buses) You're effectively prioritizing the 905 commuters 24/7 over the people who actually live in Toronto.
I don’t understand this argument. What percentage of Gardiner/Lakeshore traffic is estimated to be sourced from Toronto residents? I’d be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority is from outside the city. And if that’s the case, why not reapportion roadways to make public transit for out-of-city commuters more effective?

Generally I would agree that increasing capacity of the roadway by strongly encouraging higher density vehicles would be the way to go. However, with the expected near-future rail service to that specific location I think we might be better off encouraging transfers to GO services in places like Oakville, Oshawa, and Aurora instead. Metrolinx should allow intercity coach services to bulk purchase future-use GO tickets at a steep discount. I.e. FlixBus could buy 10,000 GO trips in e-ticket format from Union to Oakville for $30,000, and include a GO e-ticket as a bundle with their own service. Discount tickets could be time restricted to off-peak and counter-peak use only.

Only very long-distance coaches, where baggage is abundant and an extra hour in traffic congestion doesn't matter (like Trailways to NY or Detroit) be running to Union.

I don't object to large events using those discounted prepaid e-ticket packages either. That $20 Jays ticket could have the option for a round-trip off-peak discounted GO e-ticket bundled in. It's basically the MVNO cellular service model.

Last edited:

Back