News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 946     1 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Politics aside, was she an effective board member? I've only seen 1 or 2 videos so have little to go on.
It's impossible to say because the public session of the Board meetings are just "theatre" put on for us. No serious questions are ever asked of those presenting and the materials they present are always absurdly high-level and often out of date - last quarter reporting when we're 6 weeks into a new quarter for example. Any actual work the Board does takes place with the public excluded.

The question is not, why was this Board member fired..... the question is, why are all the others being retained?

We don't need a ceremonial Board that meets in camera. Just appoint a Deputy Minister and let ML be the government department that it is.

- Paul

This could go in several threads but I'll put it here.

1699303466214.png

Searched for Durham-Scarborough BRT thread and assume weve been dumping stuff here... Anyways, more slippage in the schedule...

In mid September I asked if the preliminary design business case was still on schedule as I knew we were approaching the the end of year. I received the following response:

Screenshot_20231221_103510.jpg

Frustratingly received the update today that it will be done at some point in '24 (<insert Eglinton LRT joke here>):

Screenshot_20231221_103913.jpg

Any insight as to what changes they are making to the bus terminal that are causing a delay? AFAIK, construction in Durham (Pickering) is slated to start next or early '25.

Any insight as to what changes they are making to the bus terminal that are causing a delay? AFAIK, construction in Durham (Pickering) is slated to start next or early '25.

The TTC and Mx have been fighting over the size of the terminal, the TTC thinks its too small and that will cause problems.

The TTC and Mx have been fighting over the size of the terminal, the TTC thinks its too small and that will cause problems.

One of the hazards of separating the agency making the capital investment from the agency bearing the operating costs.

That said, given that Union Station is a comically undersized bus terminal (4 full-time staff directing bus traffic so they don't run into each-other), I lean toward siding with the TTC without even looking at the details.

Last edited:
That said, given that Union Station is a comically undersized bus terminal (4 full-time staff directing bus traffic so they don't run into each-other), I lean toward siding with the TTC without even looking at the details.

The USBT is shoehorned in an office tower so that could be the reason here.

As for Scarborough Centre, if I recall were they not relocating a number of routes once the subway opened? I could have swore they were terminating a number of routes at McCowan and Sheppard.

You haven't seem comically undersized bus passageways until you have been on a bus pulling into the Avenida de América bus terminal in Madrid. The buses goes through thin passages, tight turns, and not much in the way of emergency escapes are seen. Buses can barely pass parked buses, and the ramps to the second level are crazy thin.

Last edited:
Well they reduced the number of Milton buses while increasing the number of trains on other lines, so how many buses are really using the Union Bus Terminal now? The Milton buses used to be pretty frequent, often every half hour. With the vast majority of Milton buses no longer going to Union, how busy can it possibly be there?

Well they reduced the number of Milton buses while increasing the number of trains on other lines, so how many buses are really using the Union Bus Terminal now? The Milton buses used to be pretty frequent, often every half hour. With the vast majority of Milton buses no longer going to Union, how busy can it possibly be there?
Well, there's 18 buses departing the Union Station Bus Terminal between 12:11am and 1:31am.

^Nitpick: The OL video states that the line will have three tracks - but shows four.

Love those renders showing a P42ish GO loco....

- Paul

Back