News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Mayor Miller wins award!

So.. why do the staff at City Hall affectionately call him "Heil-Miller"?

Could it be that they all see him as a power-grabbing, fascist dictator who steam-rolls over any disenting opinion, is completely inflexible and does not listen to the voices calling for moderation, co-operation or accommodation?

Anyone who seriously thinks David Miller is a "fascist" does not deserve to be taken seriously.

This raises a good question...

How much does Toronto spend per citizen on non-provincially-mandated expenses, and how does this figure compare to other cities?

(And are there any reasons why such a statistic would not be valid?)

This raises a good question...

How much does Toronto spend per citizen on non-provincially-mandated expenses, and how does this figure compare to other cities?

(And are there any reasons why such a statistic would not be valid?)

You can calculate it from the amounts on page 17 here. For 2007 the total is 729 million.

$277 per person or $708 per household.

I will see what I can find for other cities.

You could have funding for half a kilometer and over 4 years you can extend a subway to Steeles???

Not bad imo...

If we did this during the mid 90's we could have built 6.5 km of subway....
What's the point of this comment?

its rather simple, we want mega billion dollar subway extensions from the federal govt and I think the city could set aside a 100-150 million a year to slowly extend its subway. If we started this a while ago, we could have had A Eglinton Subway made by our own money....

Really the city has a damn 8.2 billion dollar budget and 150 million is literally nothing...

Since property tax bears little relationship to density (10 to 20%?) why should property taxes.

Not sure where you were going with that statement..

I pay income tax based on my level of income, not shoe size. Toronto residents should pay property tax proportional to the amount Toronto spends.

The use of assessment values is the only means in which the city can make property tax progressive.

If you think that Toronto's density automatically makes running the city cheaper, explain how less dense Mississauga (including Peel) spends $3850 p/a per household vs. $ 8420 in Toronto.

Are you pulling those figures out of a hat or do you have a source for them?

How much of that Toronto Property Tax money is Miller spilling on useless schemes and how much of it is on pork-barrel contracts? How much of it are they giving away to support minority special interest groups? How much of it is going to support the 905'ers use of Metro Services like the Transit and the roads?

And as for Market Value Assessment - how about a penalty tax for all the a******s who buy tear-downs, do a quick cosmetic reno and filp the properties for a huge profit thereby driving the market values higher? It's not my fault that I bought a small house at a reasonable price that I could well afford 8 years ago (under $200K) and now everything in my neighbourhood has more than doubled in value to the point where if I were trying to buy the house I currently live in I couldn't possibly afford it. If my property taxes keep going up based on unrealized income (the market value of my house) I may not be able to afford to keep my home. How the hell is THAT fair?

All things considered, I think I'd rather have Hazel the battle-axe running the show in the GTA. At least she'd kick some butt down at City Hall and whip them into shape.

its rather simple, we want mega billion dollar subway extensions from the federal govt and I think the city could set aside a 100-150 million a year to slowly extend its subway. If we started this a while ago, we could have had A Eglinton Subway made by our own money....

Really the city has a damn 8.2 billion dollar budget and 150 million is literally nothing...

Thanks for the clarification, and I agree. Setting aside money and having a Transit City type vision with both LRT and logical subways like the DRL would be a good move. One can't help but think how much different the situation would be if the elected leader actually had greater aspirations to build subways.

Not sure where you were going with that statement..

Simply saying that property tax in Toronto has nothing to do with property tax anywhere else. It is strictly based on Toronto's spending. Furthermore, the role of density in making Toronto tax burden seemingly smaller is a red herring. Most expenses that the city incurs do not scale much with increased density.

Are you pulling those figures out of a hat or do you have a source for them?
Toronto data
Mississauga data

Provincial list

How much of it are they giving away to support minority special interest groups? How much of it is going to support the 905'ers use of Metro Services like the Transit and the roads?

As a point of reference, more 416ers work in the 905 than the opposite.

If my property taxes keep going up based on unrealized income (the market value of my house) I may not be able to afford to keep my home. How the hell is THAT fair?

The fact is that your taxes have not kept pace with the increases in city spending. If fairness is what you are after, voluntarily pay the actual cost the city incurs on your behalf.

Simply saying that property tax in Toronto has nothing to do with property tax anywhere else. It is strictly based on Toronto's spending. Furthermore, the role of density in making Toronto tax burden seemingly smaller is a red herring. Most expenses that the city incurs do not scale much with increased density..

Then the City is definitely mismanaging their budget. Two people together are always able to live more cheaply than one alone.

For the edification of the other readers, I took the time to go through the Budget links Glen provided and do the math.

municipalspending.jpg

Something is definitely rotten here. It may have to do with the downloading of costs by the Province to the Municipalities and the disproportionate number of homeless, refugees, welfare-recipients and low-income people in the GTA. Perhaps we should pull a Mel Lastman here and just bus them all to other Municipalities? Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

As a point of reference, more 416ers work in the 905 than the opposite.

Again, where are you getting this from? The traffic jams on the DVP and every other artery heading into the City each morning and the GO train commuters through Union Station into the downtown core clearly indicates otherwise.

The fact is that your taxes have not kept pace with the increases in city spending. If fairness is what you are after, voluntarily pay the actual cost the city incurs on your behalf.

Then Metro's spending is WAY out of control (see the table above). Miller needs to be put on a much shorter leash instead of being given more power.

BlueBehemoth,

I think you might have to add the "upper tier" portions to the 905 municipalities. For example, for Mississauga you need to add the tax and spending from Peel region (proportional to Mississauga's share). Cool chart though, Thanks.

The traffic information comes from here (page 12).

In 2002, the 905 area became a net importer of labour from Toronto and the rest of Ontario. In 2003, the 905 area finally surpassed the City of Toronto in terms of total employment. Already in 2001, more City residents commuted to jobs in Vaughan, than Vaughan residents worked in the City.

There is also the Cordon Count.

BlueBehemoth,

The traffic information comes from here (page 12).

I think you might be misinterpreting that data there Glen.

The way I read it is -

- Since 2002, more jobs have been created in or moved to the 905 area from either Toronto or the rest of the Province as opposed being created in or moved to the City of Toronto.

- As of the time of the writing of that report (Oct, 2005) there were more jobs in total in the 905 area than there are in the City of Toronto. (Since the 905 is a much larger physical area than the City of Toronto that would be logical.)

- As of 2001, there were more City of Toronto residents commuting to jobs in Vaughan than there were City of Vaughan residents commuting to jobs in Toronto. (That says nothing about the total number of City of Toronto residents commuting to jobs in the 905 or the total number of 905 residents commuting to the City of Toronto for work.)

The Bar graph they included after the statement you referenced on page 12 is only comparing changes (decreases/increases) to total employment numbers in the 905 vs. Toronto for 1990-2004 and not the aggregate total number of jobs for each. (Paraphrased from the paragraph above the one you quoted: As of 2004 the 905 has added 800,000 jobs and Toronto has lost 100,000)

Since the stated purpose of the report you referenced is to make it clear to Toronto City Council that Commercial & Industrial Property Taxes in the City of Toronto are too high and that single issue is driving business and industry to move out of the GTA to the 905 or elsewhere - The writer's theory to resolve that perceived issue is to raise residential taxes in the City of Toronto and to pretty much flatline the Commercial & Industrial taxes.

What the witer of that report has failed to grasp is that, most people who work in the GTA also LIVE here.

If companies that are in the GTA who are already unhappy with their Commercial & Industrial tax burden suddenly have all of their employees being outraged at their increasing residential taxes then that will be EVEN MORE encouragement for those companies to flee the GTA. It's typical bureaucratic tunnel vision - they can't see the forest because all the trees are in the way.

The problem isn't Companies leaving the GTA because the taxes are too high - it's Taxes are too high because the City's spending is out of control. Keep in mind that the writer of that document is a City employee and the City's agenda will always be to defend its own financial position.

I don't know what "the Cordon Count" is but if you supply a link I'd be happy to take a look.

By the way - the Municipal expenditures for the City of Vaughan (which I left off the table in the previous message) are $3,230 Per Household or $921 Per Person.

This still tends to support my opinion that Metro Toronto's claimed spending of $8,291 per household or $3,244 per person per year is way out of line when compared to all of the surrounding municipalities. There is no reasonable way the City can justify these numbers. And cutting out the City Council's golf club memberships is not going to make it all better.

Glen - I just checked out your blog southofsteeles..

The average Richmond Hill home at $400,000 pays $3,169; the average Toronto home at $369,300 pays $2,256; and the average Oshawa home at $275,000 pays $4,157, almost twice the Toronto amount.

Comparing the average $400K Richmond Hill home to the average $400K downtown Toronto home is like comparing a 1 1/2 car garage to a very old beaten up cardboard box.

It would be more appropriate to do the calculations based on square footage of the structures in question and factor in the size of the lots.

The local realtors tell me my house is worth well over $400K but it's only 1,700 sq ft and the lot is 17' by 95' (with no garage) -- I'd take a $400K house in Richmond Hill or Oshawa over mine any day except that I can't stand the thought of the commute to work. (I've always had a firm rule that I will not spend more than 1 hour a day travelling to and from work altogether regardless of the time of year.)

I think the views you are expressing in your blog, though interesting, are quite misguided.

BlueBehemoth,

More people from Toronto work in the 905 than vice versa. As the quote from the report says. Since the time of the report, the disparity has increased. In fact, the job growth that occurred in the 905 region was to such a degree that its population growth could not support it.

If companies that are in the GTA who are already unhappy with their Commercial & Industrial tax burden suddenly have all of their employees being outraged at their increasing residential taxes then that will be EVEN MORE encouragement for those companies to flee the GTA. It's typical bureaucratic tunnel vision - they can't see the forest because all the trees are in the way.

The problem isn't Companies leaving the GTA because the taxes are too high - it's Taxes are too high because the City's spending is out of control. Keep in mind that the writer of that document is a City employee and the City's agenda will always be to defend its own financial position.

The report is not about companies leaving the GTA. It is about within the GTA, Toronto is not competitive. It has been at best stagnant while surrounded by a booming area.

What the witer of that report has failed to grasp is that, most people who work in the GTA also LIVE here.

Again this is not reflective of reality. As above, this is not about the GTA as a homogeneous tax climate. This is about the GTA as a heterogeneous one. Toronto's non residential taxes are far to high while residential taxes are too low. Businesses have left or ignored the Toronto part of the GTA but not the GTA itself. Despite higher residential taxes the 905 has flourished, while Toronto has not.

Glen - I just checked out your blog southofsteeles..

Comparing the average $400K Richmond Hill home to the average $400K downtown Toronto home is like comparing a 1 1/2 car garage to a very old beaten up cardboard box.

It would be more appropriate to do the calculations based on square footage of the structures in question and factor in the size of the lots.

The local realtors tell me my house is worth well over $400K but it's only 1,700 sq ft and the lot is 17' by 95' (with no garage) -- I'd take a $400K house in Richmond Hill or Oshawa over mine any day except that I can't stand the thought of the commute to work. (I've always had a firm rule that I will not spend more than 1 hour a day travelling to and from work altogether regardless of the time of year.)

I think the views you are expressing in your blog, though interesting, are quite misguided.

And I say again, when municipal expenses become directly or even significantly related to lot size they should scale as such. The truth is that the are only marginally related. Have a look at the FIR data again and you will see that, using Mississauga as a comparison, Toronto has no efficiencies afforded by density. I quickly compared per household police and fire expenses and they are practically equal. The only thing that is not not equal is the amount paid for them.

So I will say again property tax should represent an equitable portion of municipal (yours) expenditure on your behalf. What Torontonians pay has as much to do with what those in Mississauga pay as to those in Calgary.

Back