News   May 01, 2024
 314     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 353     0 

Maldive's Rendering of the Future Toronto Skyline

toforumer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thanks to Maldive at SkyscraperPage for creating an absolutely stunning future rendering of Toronto's skyline. I just thought I'd share it on these boards for those who have yet to see it. I really hope that Manulife Tower gets built, it fills up that void between the CN Tower and the Central Business District.

Large pics:
WATERfuture.jpg

manu2.jpg

Smaller version:
WATERfuture.jpg

manu2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, though that perspective on the city always over-emphasizes the size of the waterfront condos. I think I preferred Maldive's earlier rendering.

I am dreading - capital-D dreading - what they're going to do to the CN Tower with those LEDs.

what building is that in the second picture that is just east of the cn tower and lit up orange at the top?

^In the cropped version just above your question, from right to left the taller buildings are (partly visible) BMO, Shagri-La, rumoured Manulife, RBC, Ritz Carlton, CN Tower and Festival Tower.

About this rendering of the rumoured Manulife building, the height seems possible, but the floorplate seems excessive -- I did not think that the rumoured site was large enough to accommodate this monster, as depicted.

Bill

I hope the skyline looks this impressive in the near future.

Is there any visuals yet of how the CN Tower will be lit up? Is this just a guess, or has there at least been some description of how it will look?

Hopefully somebody will provide details on Manulife... I'd really want to get some graphics so that I can make a Sketchup/Google Earth model of it.

The way it is shown lit up there reminds me of how the Penobscot Building in Detroit is lit up.

detroit-night.jpg

Is this rumoured Manulife supposedly located on the parking lot at 174 Front Street West? I haven't seen any property sale notices or zoning applications. Where is the rumour coming from?

V of E started the rumour. Personally I believe him.

I agree with Mongo, Maldive may have messed up his judgement of the floorplate for the Manulife Tower. It will be both businss/office and residential so a floorplate as depicted is not realistic.

Although an excellent spot for a 58 story condo, we are building a skyline of buildings that sort of top out just shy of 600 feet. While this is tall by any standard, if they are all the same height it will not be particularly striking. There should be some variation in building heights in that part of downtown. With the Ritz, RBC, Shangri-La and the Cityplace towers all being flat-top buildings of roughly the same height we might end up with a Vancouveresque skyline, albeit twice as tall.

Yes, I am hoping this does not happen... A flat skyline is not particularly engaging.

All you really need are a few peaks.

Even still Toronto is a far way off from becoming Vancouver + 300ft.

New York seems to do fine with most of its buildings in mid-town at the same height. In the context of 'problems to worry about', buildings with similar heights has almost nothing to do with how livable or pleasing a city happens to be.

Yes, I am hoping this does not happen... A flat skyline is not particularly engaging.

I agree...I like the skyline with dramatic peaks and drops. That effect is reduced quite a bit in these renderings.

Back