447     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 662     1 

M1 + M2 + Metropolis + Parkside Condos (Liberty Development) - Real Estate -

My Design Choices

I just got back... I upgraded:
  • 42" Kitchen Upper Cabinets (I have 9ft ceilings)
  • Kitchen counter top edge (nice thick square edge)
  • Stainless steel Appliances (not the premium...they were offered as a purchase incentive)
  • Ceran top range rather than the steel spiral elements (see pic)
  • Bathroom Handle Hardware - barrel pulls
  • Kitchen Handle Hardware - barrel pulls

I was considering mirrored closet doors, but at $250 a pop, I figure I can easily buy those from Rona at 1/2 the cost and install them myself quite easily.

Here are some photos of my colour choices...

Attachments

• Kitchen Backsplash - Bamboo Grey.jpg
    Kitchen Backsplash - Bamboo Grey.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Handle Upgrade (long) Kitch & Bath.jpg
    Handle Upgrade (long) Kitch & Bath.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Kitchen Counter - Nero Impala - upgraded edge.jpg
    Kitchen Counter - Nero Impala - upgraded edge.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Bamboo Cream.jpg
    Bamboo Cream.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Master Bath Floor - Bamboo Beige.jpg
    Master Bath Floor - Bamboo Beige.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 238
  • Paint - Cream.jpg
    Paint - Cream.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 243
  • Bed (2x) Floor - carpet rocky springs.jpg
    Bed (2x) Floor - carpet rocky springs.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Both Bath Wall Tile - Subway Tile White.jpg
    Both Bath Wall Tile - Subway Tile White.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 258
  • Foyer Floor Tile - Bamboo Brown.jpg
    Foyer Floor Tile - Bamboo Brown.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 239
  • Guest Bath Floor - Bamboo White.jpg
    Guest Bath Floor - Bamboo White.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Cabinets (Bath&Kitch) - Metro Espresso.jpg
    Cabinets (Bath&Kitch) - Metro Espresso.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Condo Theme.jpg
    Condo Theme.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Kitchen Counter Top - Edge Upgrade.jpg
    Kitchen Counter Top - Edge Upgrade.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Kitchen Floor Tile - Bamboo Grey.jpg
    Kitchen Floor Tile - Bamboo Grey.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Hallway & Main Flooring - std Laminate warm hickory.jpg
    Hallway & Main Flooring - std Laminate warm hickory.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 243
  • whirlpool.jpg
    whirlpool.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Hi Neongoddess! I am a first time home owner/buyer and I will be in the M2 building sometime in Aug. 2010 (according to a recent letter I got in the mail). I am 31 years old. :) I too am excited to move it!!! Can't wait. YES, I agree upgrades are crazy expensive. Smart choice to do them on your own and on your own time :)

Cheers,

Joe

I just got back... I upgraded:
  • 42" Kitchen Upper Cabinets (I have 9ft ceilings)
  • Kitchen counter top edge (nice thick square edge)
  • Stainless steel Appliances (not the premium...they were offered as a purchase incentive)
  • Ceran top range rather than the steel spiral elements (see pic)
  • Bathroom Handle Hardware - barrel pulls
  • Kitchen Handle Hardware - barrel pulls

I was considering mirrored closet doors, but at $250 a pop, I figure I can easily buy those from Rona at 1/2 the cost and install them myself quite easily.

Here are some photos of my colour choices...

Hello, do you mind me asking what your total upgrades cost? Were you able to negotiate a deal? Do you mind providing the following details:

Cost of ceran top range (I have the Stainless steel appliances as purchase incentive)
How many standard color laminate flooring choices
How many standard cabinet choices

Thanks in advance. Any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

balcony railings are starting to go up on M1 and expect the sales office to be gone within days

i was by there yesterday and they were rolling the model buildings over from the sales office to M1

Hello, do you mind me asking what your total upgrades cost? Were you able to negotiate a deal? Do you mind providing the following details:

Cost of ceran top range (I have the Stainless steel appliances as purchase incentive)
How many standard color laminate flooring choices
How many standard cabinet choices

Thanks in advance. Any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Upgrades can get quite pricey and out-of-control quickl if you choose for them to...I could easily see them totaling well into the $50k range if you went full out. However, you can still get bang for the buck if you choose wisely and are frugal like me. I focused on upgrading the small trims/items to bolster the visual appeal.

* The 42" cabinet uppers cost me an extra $600 for the extra 6 inches of space. While I know this is pricey, it is cheaper than going out and buying all new 42" cabinetry
* Standard granite countertop square edge - $888. For me to go out and buy a whole new granite counter top with edge plus install would cost more than this
* Ceran/glass top range - an extra $300 -- again, they are making a tidy profit, but still cheaper than me going out and buying a new glasstop range and trying to sell the standard one
* Kitchen handle upgrade - $200. I'm sure I can find these for cheaper, but then there's potential for all the holes in the cabinets not matching up with the standard hardware. I didn't ask if I could opt for them not to install any handles at all.
* Bathroom (x2) handle upgrade - $140 ...this is definitely a rip off considering lessor number of handles when compared to the kitchen. But for the same reason as the kitchen I chose to upgrade these

All in all it is costing me about $2200 with GST for these upgrades; and I consider this cheap as I didn't go for a locker. No haggling over prices as they are all pretty much set. Maybe they can throw you something in the package for free...not sure.

The range in standard choices are fairly limited, but out of what they had it was more than enough for me to put together a colour palette and design choice that suited my tastes without looking too cheap.

Lastly expect that they will nickle and dime you for everything...anything and everything is an upgrade...i.e. laying tile in a brick pattern vs. a standard grid pattern was going to be an extra $200 for the kitchen backsplash. I said no.

Last edited:
wow, charging you extra just to do something a certain way. i would have also said no and most likely in a "hahaha, are you serious?" sort of way.

Last edited:
Kitchen handle upgrade - $200. I'm sure I can find these for cheaper, but then there's potential for all the holes in the cabinets not matching up with the standard hardware. I didn't ask if I could opt for them not to install any handles at all.

You def could have asked them to opt out of the installation of any hardware - I opted out of the $200 handles and bought my own through a contractor and asked for no holes in cabinets, no bathroom installations i.e. paper holder, towel rack etc since its a pain removing when wanting to paint. Call him and say to revise your plan.

* The 42" cabinet uppers cost me an extra $600 for the extra 6 inches of space. While I know this is pricey, it is cheaper than going out and buying all new 42" cabinetry

That is quite a good deal you got, I see they went way down in price for the uppers since October.

i'm glad you say that joe. i hoped to opt out of the hardware and i was hoping they would just not drill the holes, so it's nice to hear that that's a possibility. i never even thought about opting out of the towel rack, etc. but thats also a great idea

i'm glad you say that joe. i hoped to opt out of the hardware and i was hoping they would just not drill the holes, so it's nice to hear that that's a possibility. i never even thought about opting out of the towel rack, etc. but thats also a great idea

My first question to them was, can I opt out of everything and just give me a raw space. I'd would have loved to do my own stuff in there, but obviously you know what the answer was, ha.

balcony railings are starting to go up on M1 and expect the sales office to be gone within days

i was by there yesterday and they were rolling the model buildings over from the sales office to M1

Have you noticed those nasty green metal blocks right outside of the main entrance to M1? Dont know exactly what they are, but by the stickers seems as though some sort of electrical units - I HOPE they dont stay there, horrible spot!

i hear you brother. i'm in the same boat. im still going to try an opt out of as many things as i can. i have far too many hookups to be buying things from an overpriced builder.

Aug, that's pretty good. A month after us. I wish we could go inside already lol. Have you picked out your finishes yet?

Alex

It can't come soon enough >_< It's a bit of torture passing by it everyday to go to work - especially on snow days... knowing that I could be living there... 10 minutes away from work, but instead heading home on the bus at the start of 1.5 hour treck home....

Yes - I picked my finishes early last month. Now I'm back to twiddling my thumbs waiting for my move-in date LOL

I noticed today on the way home that they've started tearing down the hangar buildings across the street...

I will see if I can swing by the site tomorrow to take some updated exterior shots - I did see the sunroof/dome between M2 and M3.

Question: Is anyone else a bit disappointed with the brown tinted glass?

Back