News   Apr 26, 2024
 498     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 206     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 676     0 

London Rapid Transit (In-Design)

One of the reasons why LRT was ditched in London was because Western University said there would be vibrations during construction that could affect some sensitive equipment and whatnot. And maybe some from the trains themselves when operating.

I thought... okay.

Then I visited York University station where they tunneled below the freaking centre of the university, right below some buildings too! What gives, Western? :eek:

The UofT made similar complaints when the Spadina streetcar was being built in the 1990s.

The $90M figure sounds ridiculously low.....especially if it included an underground station.

It doesn't help LRT's cause when things are lowballed this way. The huge escalation turns off the public, even if it's converging on reality.

I wonder whether the same $300M would buy a CP bypass (over the CN corridor) that would solve the problem altogether. That level crossing on Richmond is worth eliminating.

- Paul

Yes, tunnel was scrapped.

Large article on the London Free Press today regarding the tunnel kill
http://www.lfpress.com/2017/06/11/b...uring-which-londons-brt-tunnel-plan-collapsed

In a nutshell the tunnel went from 90 million
to 220 million
to potentially 300 million+

Cost for the tunnel would be almost as much as the rest of the system, and would be 'expected' to be covered by the province / feds. The city thinks some of that cost would be 'shifted' back to them which is one reason why they backed out.

That damm railroad!

That's really a shame... that tunnel would have given the BRT an actual time savings over driving, which would be an incentive to take it. The best way to achieve a mode shift is to give transit an edge in travel time, so it's not just a slower and indirect way of transport for people who can't afford cars.

What the city, province, feds and railway companies have to do is get rid of the CP track through London's core. Either reroute it on the CN line or build a new line north or south of the city.

If an incident like the Lac-Mégantic rail disaster happened in London, it would be 100x worse or more.

Would also really improve the transport network and livability of the area too. I swear a quarter of the city the city can hear the loud noises from the CP freight yard alone.

What the city, province, feds and railway companies have to do is get rid of the CP track through London's core. Either reroute it on the CN line or build a new line north or south of the city.

If an incident like the Lac-Mégantic rail disaster happened in London, it would be 100x worse or more.

Would also really improve the transport network and livability of the area too. I swear a quarter of the city the city can hear the loud noises from the CP freight yard alone.

The CN rail is about 1 km away and goes right through the city as well. Of course through a poorer and less well connected neighborhood. NIMBYism at work here

And with the future goal of having HSR to the train station wouldn't the CN line be even busier?

Maybe London can so a Strachen solution sending the tracks in a ditch and slightly elevating Richmond to get rid of the crossing. I'm not sure of the elevation change near the Thames to know it's feasible. Of course that would mean closing some of the side streets nearby and switching Oxford from going under the tracks to over.

I can't see a trench, considering that the river is only three blocks west of Richmond and the line has to cross Oxford before reaching the river.

The sensible solution is a bypass to get CP out of the area altogether, but that crosses too many corporate and government lines to be quick and easy.

- Paul

Western has proven itself, despite all it's talk, of being very much against any rapid transit going thru it's grounds.

Bus rapid transit: London city hall is restarting talks with the last big hurdle along its BRT route, Western University
Western University's demands are quite something. BRT with maximum frequency of 15 minutes, anyone?:rolleyes:

It's too bad Western is being stubborn. It was at the forefront of offering students transit access back in the day.

Now Fanshawe and UWO students are crippling the system. They make up about 1/2 (47%) of the users but only pay $0.90 per ride. This low fare has made London one of the lowest fares per ride in Ontario (on average...$1.50 per ride). And the beneficiary of this...UWO who is reducing the amount of parking on campus.

Now they want a car-free campus thanks to the London bus system but for some reason wants to limit the number of buses? I can't understand why.

They need to bypass Western. These demands are just ridiculous. You can't build a transit system with them.

Reactions: jys
They need to bypass Western. These demands are just ridiculous. You can't build a transit system with them.

With the potential money lost to bypass and service reductions i say they should just buy out whoever is against this or make a "donation" to the university.
people will never say no to $$ including the party university if the price is right.

Back