News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 718     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

London Rapid Transit (In-Design)

• There can be no more than eight BRT buses through campus per hour.
  • The school will never allow light rail to run through campus.

Ehhh?? What sort of nonsense is this?

If these are Western's demands, bypass the campus - unfortunately to the detriment of a major group of potential riders, students.

If these are Western's demands, bypass the campus - unfortunately to the detriment of a major group of potential riders, students.
aren't those riders, though, a key part of the projected ridership that justifies the spend on an higher order transit system? It is a bit of a circular argument, I get that, but if you are going to bypass the school, do you have the ridership to warrant anything more than just, you know, regular bus routes?

Is it possible to split the service into 2 branches?

8 buses per hour (4 in each direction) travel through the campus. Any additional buses take a shortcut along Richmond St., bypassing most of the campus. The students still can use both branches, but those who take the Richmond St. branch will have to walk longer distances.

If the cost of installing bus lanes is an issue, then perhaps they can be installed for the campus branch only. The Richmond St. branch can run in mixed traffic. That might have a positive side effect of equalizing the trip times for the branches, thus the blended service would remain evenly spaced.

Is it possible to split the service into 2 branches?

8 buses per hour (4 in each direction) travel through the campus. Any additional buses take a shortcut along Richmond St., bypassing most of the campus. The students still can use both branches, but those who take the Richmond St. branch will have to walk longer distances.

If the cost of installing bus lanes is an issue, then perhaps they can be installed for the campus branch only. The Richmond St. branch can run in mixed traffic. That might have a positive side effect of equalizing the trip times for the branches, thus the blended service would remain evenly spaced.

Eh what? Why the hell would you invest in the lower frequency service. If Western doesn't want to play ball, they should get nothing. So what if the campus buses get stuck in traffic? It's what the University deserves. Put the investment on Richmond and benefit the bulk of the ridership not bound for the campus.

Eh what? Why the hell would you invest in the lower frequency service. If Western doesn't want to play ball, they should get nothing. So what if the campus buses get stuck in traffic? It's what the University deserves. Put the investment on Richmond and benefit the bulk of the ridership not bound for the campus.

almost 1/2 of the current ridership is currently students (UWO and Fanshawe). The BRT is designed to get the students from their campuses to downtown. There is no need for BRT without students in London.

It's too bad Western is being stubborn. It was at the forefront of offering students transit access back in the day.

Now Fanshawe and UWO students are crippling the system. They make up about 1/2 (47%) of the users but only pay $0.90 per ride. This low fare has made London one of the lowest fares per ride in Ontario (on average...$1.50 per ride). And the beneficiary of this...UWO who is reducing the amount of parking on campus.

Now they want a car-free campus thanks to the London bus system but for some reason wants to limit the number of buses? I can't understand why.

They need to bypass Western. These demands are just ridiculous. You can't build a transit system with them.

Western student here! I just want to clear something up. Western students are pro-BRT. At the on-campus consultations, the students were speaking for the project, with various faculty members speaking against. One professor even said the BRT should be located up to 5km away from campus as to get students to exercise more. I got into a fight with him over those comments. Our current student council is pro-BRT also. It is a darn shame to see the university taking such a silly approach, even when the student body is supportive of the project.

Western student here! I just want to clear something up. Western students are pro-BRT. At the on-campus consultations, the students were speaking for the project, with various faculty members speaking against. One professor even said the BRT should be located up to 5km away from campus as to get students to exercise more. I got into a fight with him over those comments. Our current student council is pro-BRT also. It is a darn shame to see the university taking such a silly approach, even when the student body is supportive of the project.
And why is the university taking this dunderheaded approach? What are they gaining? Or avoiding - money commitments?

^Good for London. Maybe they can afford that grade separated crossing now.

It is really good for London, especially students. The grade seperation is needed, but I am encouraged that we are at least going to **hopefully** have BRT construction start by 2019. Down the road, I hope that a solution may arise, even if it requires a revision to the project after the fact. I am confident that the Feds will come up with the remaining share.

Reactions: jys
^Good for London. Maybe they can afford that grade separated crossing now.

Even if London was given even more money for a tunnel, it still wouldn't get built.

The tunnel would be under Richmond right at Oxford and the road is narrow and there would have to be several building destructions take place to accommodate the tunnel. This part of Richmond is referred to as "Richmond Row" and is a 1 km stretch of London's highest end shopping and is a nightlife and café mecca as well as having swaths of restaurants and patios. It's London premier entertainment and shopping district and is a beautiful street lined by trees, gorgeous old Victorians, some of the city's nicest architectural gems, lovely churches, and Victoria Park.

If BRT is suppose to not only help speed commuters but help create pedestrian and transit friendly neighbourhoods it would result in the destruction in one of London's finest such examples. Even if they had the money for a much longer tunnel to take it downtown to well north of Oxford, it would go thru the city's wealthy and politically powerful Old North neighbourhood.

Back