News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 626     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Leaside

Unless I missed it before...

I just saw the other day that there is a new fish market opening up on that strip: De la mer

That Bayview strip is great if you're a foodie. Two great independent bakeries, Cumbrae's for meats, that fish store that's about to open, a couple of small grocery stores that sell higher end stuff. That strip is great to walk through, but I don't think it will be a weekly destination for us, mostly because we can't afford $30/kg chicken breasts.

The little stretch on Eglinton in Leaside is pretty dismal though (just before Eglinton and Laird) a few rundown / for lease properties.

I really like the homes around the Bayview strip ... the best time to take it in is typically Sunday morning / afternoon - it's quite busy during this time. There are a few cake shops that are really great too. Hollywood Gelato anyone? :)

Last edited:
Ooohhh! Hollywood Gelato! I forgot about that one. My wife is a gelato freak since she tried in Italy a few years ago. I have the feeling that spot will be a regular stop for us...

Ooohhh! Hollywood Gelato! I forgot about that one. My wife is a gelato freak since she tried in Italy a few years ago. I have the feeling that spot will be a regular stop for us...

Oh it's the best by far!

I'd love for others to recommend better in the city, I haven't found any - for the flavours I like - not the fruity types :) It's not hard to make a decent -> good fruit Gelato

Anyway, I just realized those empty stores on Eglinton were leased by the restaurant mentioned above :)

Solferino's closure in St. Lawrence has left us with fewer gelato options, but La Paloma in Corso Italia is pretty fantastic.

http://lapaloma.ca/home.php

Back to Leaside - it's good to see some life returning to that stretch of Eglinton.

Last edited:
Oh it's the best by far!

I'd love for others to recommend better in the city, I haven't found any - for the flavours I like - not the fruity types :) It's not hard to make a decent -> good fruit Gelato

Anyway, I just realized those empty stores on Eglinton were leased by the restaurant mentioned above :)

what restaurant? is Hollywood Gelato opening a store on Eglinton?

There's one on Queen East that's supposed to be very good. I've never tried it, mostly because every time I've walked by, it was jammed to the hilt. I can't remember its name right now... NOW magazine had an article on ice cream places in T.O. in one of their July issues, they might have it archived on their site.

If you're talking about Ed's I'm aware of that.

I'm asking about the best ice cream place in Leaside.

Il Gelatiere at 647 Mt. Pleasant is, IMHO, better from an ingredient perspective. Their flavors are truer and more intense although their quality seems to be declining. They also cheat a bit on the amount they give you with their semi false bottom cups (i.e., the bottom of the cups are not actually at the bottom but about 3/4 of the way to the bottom).

What are the plans for the old diesel train shed on Laird? There was a plan to put in a car dealership. Is this still going ahead? I recall the plan included a refurbishment of the old shed.

The car dealership plan fizzled and they are looking at turning it into, guess what? - more shopping! Something that the neighbourhood is against.

I'm not sure if it still counts as Leaside (I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually), but does anyone know the fate of the now abandoned Bob Bannerman dealership on the west side of Bayview a few blocks north of Eglinton? It's been empty for a few months now and am curious if any plans are in the works for the site.

Back