News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

LCBO / The Beer Store

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know that they actually said 24-hour access. 24-hour supermarkets are not permitted to sell alcohol after 11pm currently.
I do wonder how attractive that will make it to certain retailers given how some downtown supermarkets have actually removed alcohol already.

As well, if you're open and the booze is there people might want it regardless of the time. While I'm sure you could get a locked fridge, people may assume you have the key and be disruptive anyway or worse, just start with the damage.

"Gas stations that sell food" always cracks me up. Wasn't it 7-11 that said they had an 'eat in' area. Takes date night to a different level.

I actually don't mind the LCBO and Beer Store retaining distribution. Provided their mark-ups and handling fees are reasonable (big 'if) it should expand the market access for craft breweries and distilleries.

I do wonder how attractive that will make it to certain retailers given how some downtown supermarkets have actually removed alcohol already.

Shrink is part of the issue above; but its also the way in which the Wynne government did the supermarket licenses, they (the supermarkets) got them by bidding down how much margin they would take.

Several supermarket licenses have margins at or slightly below 2% attached to them.

In other words there's no real profit in the booze at the best of times, and a material loss if you have high shrink (theft/breakage)

Supermarket's gobbled the licenses largely as traffic drivers, (you'll get your dinner/snacks/groceries, because you came here to get the wine) and to prevent their competitors from benefiting from same.

I would expect the margin limitations will go away under the new regime, TBD

If I work sales for a Coca-Cola, I'm fuming right now knowing that fridge space that was once allotted to my brand is being replaced by beer.

I'm also curious if craft breweries will be allocated space in corner stores, or if AB InBev and Molson-Coors will form a corner store duopoly.

Last edited:
If I work sales for a Coca-Cola, 'm fuming right now knowing that fridge space that was once allotted to my brand is being replaced by beer.

Coke often supplies the fridges you see in convenience stores, (as does Pepsi) and they control what goes into them, in exchange.

I'm also curious if craft breweries will be allocated space in corner stores, or if AB InBev and Molson-Coors will form a corner store duopoly.

I'm hearing that their will be some provision for local/craft; but I'm not sure what form that will take.

Fascinating! 24 hour access to a variety of booze - where was this when I was a strapping young buck in search of debauchery??

I don’t think it will be 24 hours – likely a legislated 11 pm cutoff similar to licensed supermarkets.

The only downside of requiring Brewers Retail and the LCBO to be the distributors will be the likely lack of variety that one can find in great beer deps in Montreal or the sort of amazing selection one can find at Premier Gourmet near Buffalo.

Not going to happen as long as The Beer store and LCBO retain the distribution. They will be pushing the macro piss like they do in the grocery stores.

This isn't going to be like NY state, where the grocery stores have nearly all shelf space filled with craft beer. It will be mostly marco with a few craft brews squeezed in Ontario.

I welcome the new changes, hopefully this will open the door soon for independent beer stores, that sell imports and craft beer. We have independent owned cannabis stores, why not have indie beer stores? We got enough hipsters to run the stores lol

Not going to happen as long as The Beer store and LCBO retain the distribution. They will be pushing the macro piss like they do in the grocery stores.

This isn't going to be like NY state, where the grocery stores have nearly all shelf space filled with craft beer. It will be mostly marco with a few craft brews squeezed in Ontario.

I welcome the new changes, hopefully this will open the door soon for independent beer stores, that sell imports and craft beer. We have independent owned cannabis stores, why not have indie beer stores? We got enough hipsters to run the stores lol
But we do have independent beer shops!

Is it push or pull? Most grocery and convenience stores have limited shelf space and will only want to stock what moves in volume. I don't pay all that close attention but I can't say I've seen any craft beer in a grocery or convenience store.

We have independent owned cannabis stores, why not have indie beer stores? We got enough hipsters to run the stores lol

Give it time. Once the market shakes itself out, there will be lots of vacant ex-cannabis stores coming available.

Is it push or pull? Most grocery and convenience stores have limited shelf space and will only want to stock what moves in volume. I don't pay all that close attention but I can't say I've seen any craft beer in a grocery or convenience store.

Give it time. Once the market shakes itself out, there will be lots of vacant ex-cannabis stores coming available.
I see dedicated craft beer sections in every grocery store that stocks booze.

Back