News   May 15, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 969     1 

Lakeshore rail line removal @ Front and Spadina

j_capitain

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere or is deep in another thread on the board, I trawled but my search was fruitless.

Over the last week or so the line that branches from the north-most (grammar?) line, that starts just before the Spadina bridge, was removed. This line led to the rush hour train parking lanes which could previously house around 5 GO trains side by side.

There have been engineers pacing back and forth for the last few days but I have no idea what the long term plan for this area is. Are they simply going to put down a new track, upgrading to a full service area, or are they preparing to sell the land for another use?

Anyone have any news/insider info?

They are currently rebuilding the Bathurst Street North Yard to accommodate 12 car trains. What you're probably seeing is related to this project.

From the looks of things, the embankment on the north is going to be raised to street level.

Another track is going to be added between the exist tracks as the north yard track is too short to support a 12 car. It will block off the access road to the yard going to 12 cars.

The big issue that's coming into play is the grade separation at Stachan Ave as to which plan is going to get built.

If the City wants the grade separation for Strachan Ave, then GO has to start sloping the west end of the whole corridor starting on the east side of Bathurst St. You only got .51 mile to get the grade down to the lowest pont.

It will require the switches to be on the slope. At the same time, the cut over track from track 1 on the Lake Shore line to track 4 on the West Toronto sub will have to be cut as track 4 will be in the trench at that existing point today.

The existing east end lead out of the yard can be lengthen as well some of the storage track to allow for longer trains.

We are talking about 12 car trains today, but what going to happen down the road when 13-14 car trains come on line?

The new motor power is supposed to handle 14 cars train.

Back