News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 437     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Kitchener-Hamilton Rail Connection

Interesting that even in 1955, when CN operated regular and mixed trains across the province, the timetable for that year directs passengers to use Canada Coach Lines buses between Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo.

From Hamilton CN Station that year, one could take a train to Niagara/St. Catharines, Toronto, Brantford/London/Sarnia or Windsor/Chicago (these three routes still have passenger service) but also Milton/Georgetown/Tottenham/Allandale, Caledonia/Jarvis/Simcoe/Port Rowan, and even Palmerston/Owen Sound

Interesting that even in 1955, when CN operated regular and mixed trains across the province, the timetable for that year directs passengers to use Canada Coach Lines buses between Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo.

From Hamilton CN Station that year, one could take a train to Niagara/St. Catharines, Toronto, Brantford/London/Sarnia or Windsor/Chicago (these three routes still have passenger service) but also Milton/Georgetown/Tottenham/Allandale, Caledonia/Jarvis/Simcoe/Port Rowan, and even Palmerston/Owen Sound

It would - as it wouldn't have been a CN service to begin with. CN's mixed train ran from Burlington to Georgetown and points north (I want to say that it ended in Barrie), and that service also ended in the late 1940s.

Check with any CP timetables that you can find from that era and see if they have anything.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It would - as it wouldn't have been a CN service to begin with. CN's mixed train ran from Burlington to Georgetown and points north (I want to say that it ended in Barrie), and that service also ended in the late 1940s.

Check with any CP timetables that you can find from that era and see if they have anything.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't have any CP schedules from that era - though I'd love to get my hands on one. Until 1955, CP ran passenger services on the Lake Erie and Northern and Grand River Railways between Port Dover, Simcoe, Brantford, Galt and Kitchener, and the allied Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway would have ran services between Hamilton and Brantford. The LE&N and TH&B stations in Brantford were about 10 minutes away by foot. The LE&N and GRR passenger services were, of course, busituted in 1955. (Today, there is no direct bus between Kitchener, Cambridge and Brantford.)

- the average traveller between Hamilton and Kitchener would have most certainly gone by CCL bus even in that era.

Dec 12, 1995: Canadian Pacific abandons 70 miles of its Owen Sound Subdivision from two miles north of Orangeville to Owen Sound. The abandonment ended 122 years of train service to the Georgian Bay port, begun in 1873 by the Toronto, Grey & Bruce Railway.

In 1884 the CPR took over the TG&B and established its eastern Great Lakes steamship base at the line's terminal in Owen Sound. Until 1961, two passenger trains a day ran in each direction between Toronto and Owen Sound. Passenger service ended altogether in 1970.

Back