News   Apr 26, 2024
 72     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

John Tory: Four Time Loser

Actually its a shock to the Tories how Mcguinty takes so many rural seats.

The Tories thought they would at least get those...

Mcgunity imo may face trouble in the the southwestern part of the province, however it will be a very long time before the Tories break in to the 905 again.
The Liberals have 40 seats in the GTA alone. Ottawa, Windsor, London are their strongholds.

McGuinty doesn't come across as an "urban elite" like a lot of federal Liberal leaders have, especially not compared to John Tory.

It's unfortunate that an "urban elite" can't get elected anywhere. I think urban elites would probably do a good job.

It really is too bad. I was sincerely hoping that he would turn the Ontario tories into a more urban focused party something akin to the Conservatives in the UK. Now his party is simply going to revert to its pro-hick Mike Harris heritage. As a result there will be no serious opposition to Dalton McGuinty.

McGuinty doesn't come across as an "urban elite" like a lot of federal Liberal leaders have, especially not compared to John Tory.

Indeed, back in the Bill Davis days, the Tories were the "urban elite" party, compared to the rural/small-town identification of the provincial Liberals under Bob Nixon...

What the hell is an "elitist"? This is the dumbest political concept ever. Maybe if we had Tsar Alexander or some kind of Prussian junker running for office on the platform of eliminating funding for literacy amongst the peasantry it would be an appropriate label. As it is though, anybody who supports "book learnin" is an elitist.

McGuinty is not from Toronto, so that would help outside the GTA, just as it helped Harris.

McGuinty is from Ottawa - which some would consider worse.

Some like urbandreamer, come to think of it. Cuz like everyone from there is an book-lickin' elitist.

I for one think Tory would make a compelling candidate for mayor now that he has a higher profile. The guy has a heart for this town. His leadership of United Way demonstrated that. I would like to hear his vision for this city.

Although McSquinty is just as much an elitist as John-too-much-Tory. J Tory's wife would make a good candidate--at least she's good looking.:D

If you want a Liberal leader (theoretically) burdened by association with "elitism", look federally, not provincially--Iggy (and, for that matter, McGuinty's former Ottawa South federal counterpart John Manley) makes McGuinty look like the solid, sensible-shoes mainstream middle-aged suburban dad that he is.

And that's probably the point: McGuinty's utterly mainstream. He takes Bill Davis's "bland works" credo and surpasses it to the max.

It's probably the same formula that led to David Peterson's breakthrough vs Frank Miller in 1985: unfortunately, success spoiled Peterson, and by 1990 he was viewed as totally in the hands of the Toronto elites, and only nominally a London politician anymore...

If I ran for office, would people consider me elite because of where I went to high school (girls-only independent school which is more than a century old, followed by Queen's and U of T)? Or, will the overlook it because I'm the child of immigrants?

I'm just asking because they sometimes seem to play up Iggy's "UCC-ness."

It's quite apparent to me that Iggy is playing quite well among the Canadian media and cultural elite (look at the fawning coverage he's getting). In contrast the Harperites treat this group with total contempt.

Back