News   May 16, 2024
 679     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 934     1 

Interior Condo Door Swing Regulations?

celestia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can someone point me to an Ontario Building Code that mandates which way the entrance door to your condo unit must swing? I've recently purchased, and on the mechanical drawings it shows the entry door to the unit swinging in a direction that simply does not make sense, and the builder is only saying it is a "code issue" and cannot change it.

Basically, if you are standing in the unit facing the door, there will be a empty wall to your right, and a small hallway to a powder room and laundry to your left. Rather than the door swinging open to the right (so it is against the blank wall) it is showing on the plans that it will swing to the left, blocking the hall to the powder room/laundry, and making entry and exit into the unit very awkward. There are multiple units with exactly the same layout on my floor, and my unit is the only one that is showing it will swing in this odd direction (and for no apparent reason).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Can someone point me to an Ontario Building Code that mandates which way the entrance door to your condo unit must swing? I've recently purchased, and on the mechanical drawings it shows the entry door to the unit swinging in a direction that simply does not make sense, and the builder is only saying it is a "code issue" and cannot change it.

Basically, if you are standing in the unit facing the door, there will be a empty wall to your right, and a small hallway to a powder room and laundry to your left. Rather than the door swinging open to the right (so it is against the blank wall) it is showing on the plans that it will swing to the left, blocking the hall to the powder room/laundry, and making entry and exit into the unit very awkward. There are multiple units with exactly the same layout on my floor, and my unit is the only one that is showing it will swing in this odd direction (and for no apparent reason).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I saw a similar issue to this in the past. Off the top of my head there are 2 possible reasons. One is that there is no where to install a light switch for immediate access if the door swings the other way. The other possibility is that the door could hit another door (in this case your powder room) if the swing goes the other way.

I'm planning to modify many of the direction of our doors with our builder. There's a price attached to that though...

Well sorry to says this but if you used a proffessional Realtor like myself they would have helped explains to you these things, this is a risk you take when dealing with directly builder, tough luck with any resolve.

Im never too busy for any of your refferals!
Be smart use a proffessional!

I saw a similar issue to this in the past. Off the top of my head there are 2 possible reasons. One is that there is no where to install a light switch for immediate access if the door swings the other way. The other possibility is that the door could hit another door (in this case your powder room) if the swing goes the other way.

Thanks for your response Wooba. The two items you mention are actually the issues if the builder leaves the plan as is, and I'm asking them to change it because of it, as well as the possibility of someone getting trapped in the powder room/laundry area in the event of a fire. I'll try and do up a quick drawing later so that people can see.

Hi cityplace guy - I actually do have a realtor that has been extremely helpful. I am simply asking the question in this forum to get additional information and insight from people here. And sorry, but I certainly wouldn't refer anyone to a realtor that tells me "tough luck" in a Real Estate forum such as this, that is unprofessional. Btw, I notice you didn't actually answer the question either.

Hi cityplace guy - I actually do have a realtor that has been extremely helpful. I am simply asking the question in this forum to get additional information and insight from people here. And sorry, but I certainly wouldn't refer anyone to a realtor that tells me "tough luck" in a Real Estate forum such as this, that is unprofessional. Btw, I notice you didn't actually answer the question either.

Exactly! Your poorly written and unprofessional comments have been neither insightful nor constructive, and actually quite annoying. Do yourself and everyone else a favour and think before you post anything.

Go with the rest because this cityplaceguy is such a pest!

Last edited:
Ok so I get bashed by some of these haters, lol life not treating you well. I simply advised that the Realtor should be able to answer the question. If this were my client I would look over all the docs and see any reasoning, then I would call up the developer and demand for it to be changed as it is unsafe and unreasonable, I can even draft up a threatening letter with one of our lawyers and that usually works. Anyways I am flattered by you haters, you must be jealous because I have what you wish you can have!

Forget the haters, they just jealous
come to me your one stop shop!

then I would call up the developer and demand for it to be changed as it is unsafe and unreasonable

....and after the developer stops laughing, he'll hang up on you.

Anyways I am flattered by you haters, you must be jealous because I have what you wish you can have!

Do yourself a favour, go into stand up comedy....real estate is obviously not your game....it requires an ability to communicate and you don't have that.
No one here is jealous of your pathetic little life. Most of us are capable of communicating with each other, we don't defraud insurance companies or mortgage lenders. We don't post on free forums in an attempt to drum up business either...if you are so successful, why can't you afford to advertise like other, professional agents?

....and after the developer stops laughing, he'll hang up on you.

Do yourself a favour, go into stand up comedy....real estate is obviously not your game....it requires an ability to communicate and you don't have that.
No one here is jealous of your pathetic little life. Most of us are capable of communicating with each other, we don't defraud insurance companies or mortgage lenders. We don't post on free forums in an attempt to drum up business either...if you are so successful, why can't you afford to advertise like other, professional agents?

Lol good one, why should I go into comedy maybe you has a strange sense of humour? Also im very sucessful at what I do making over six figures gor past 4 years so why should I leave? My pathetic little life lol, I have done more in 5 years than you in your entire life good one. As for advertising I do that already in newspaper, billboard, on-line, call center etc, so what your problem Doug? You think I not sucessful? lol than what is please inform me?

And by the way why would developer hang up on me? you have now idea how a business is run.

why should I go into comedy maybe you has a strange sense of humour?

wait, you're not trying to be funny?

Also im very sucessful at what I do making over six figures gor past 4 years so why should I leave?

Hey me too...I make seven figures!!! and I don't have to lie, cheat or steal from anyone ;)

I have done more in 5 years than you in your entire life good one.

LOL...you're too funny. What qualifies this childish remark? Your lack of intelligence? Your extremely poor communication skills? Your lack of morals and penchant for fraud?

And by the way why would developer hang up on me?

because you're arrogant, uninformed and come across as a moron.

Getting back on topic....

Celestia, out of curiousity, do you know if your particular suite on the other floors (i.e. column) have the same issue?

Back