616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Hudson's Bay Company

So here's the scoop from insiders:

The Bay on Bloor
- The Bay on Bloor is going to be converted into a Lord & Taylor

The Bay on Queen
- The Bay on Queen Street is going to be redesigned as The Bay's flagship and feature store with an emphasis on heritage.
- The Bay Queen will be just two floors of retail. Entire departments will be killed off (i.e. bye bye furniture)
- The first floor will focus on Cosmetics, Fragrances, Jewelry, Men's Clothing and accessories and some minor departments that are already on the main floor.
- The second floor will be dedicated to Women's fashion
- Everything above that (3rd floor to 8th) will be converted into a hotel. It's not clear if this involves the HBC tower on Bay/Queen or a new one.
- The lower level is to be converted into a Zellar's with a focus on home accessories. There'll be an expanded food market and pharmacy.

These are the most recent plans. Most of it will reach implementation which will phase in after the Christmas season is over.

I think that HBC's new owners have the right approach. They're focusing on their winning departments (fragrances, cosmetics and fashion) and killing off the rest. Lord & Taylor is more upscale so it'll be a good fit for Yorkville.

While this seems like a decent plan for the store I'll definitely miss the old school, giant department store.

The hotel plan doesn't make sense. The floor plates are huge. Unless the rooms are really large. Either that or some rooms will have no windows or they'll have to put an atrium in there.

That's what I thought. My source is a good one though so I'll believe it. The hotel portion seems to involve a tower. Whether its the current HBC tower (the former head office, recently vacated) or they plan on adding a tower above the heritage building.

Nonetheless, the floor plate isn't as large as it seems. The building is long and narrow actually. I can see large suites in the heritage building and regular, more affordable rooms in the tower.

Another option would be to host the common areas and conference centre rooms along the centre of the building (no need for windows) and rooms around the perimeter. The large two floor ballroom on 8/9 would certainly fit a hotel concept quite well.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one pan out. The Bay Queen's floors above 4 are often populated with associates swatting flies. The Department store concept is past its heyday.

I'm told there'll be more info coming as the Christmas season comes near.

When you say tower you mean the one at Yonge and Bloor the one slated for a hotel? Or above the site at Queen and Yonge? The Simpson tower I think?

That's what I thought. My source is a good one though so I'll believe it. The hotel portion seems to involve a tower. Whether its the current HBC tower (the former head office, recently vacated) or they plan on adding a tower above the heritage building.

Nonetheless, the floor plate isn't as large as it seems. The building is long and narrow actually. I can see large suites in the heritage building and regular, more affordable rooms in the tower.

Another option would be to host the common areas and conference centre rooms along the centre of the building (no need for windows) and rooms around the perimeter. The large two floor ballroom on 8/9 would certainly fit a hotel concept quite well.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one pan out. The Bay Queen's floors above 4 are often populated with associates swatting flies. The Department store concept is past its heyday.

I'm told there'll be more info coming as the Christmas season comes near.

It still seems extremely unlikely. Who knows. Stanger things have happened, I guess. The floor plates are very large -- it is a real stretch to call them narrow. Using the centre of the building for conference and banquet rooms would require mixing those facilities with guest rooms on each and every floor - a situation most hoteliers would seek to avoid at all costs. A new tower on top of the heritage building would take considerable time to get the necessary planning and heritage approvals, and it isn't a given. The conversion of the Simpson Tower may be more likely, although I believe that there are other office tenants in the building other than the vacating HBC staff - I suppose a hotel could occupy part of the building, but I would have thought Lord & Taylor would sell the building outright and let the new owner make plans for it, rather than dabble in the hotel business itself (even in partnership with others).

Good plan

I like the whole concept, it seems like Lord and Taylor is in for the long haul. Zellers is perfect because of all the condos going up there is not really any place to purchase household goods (cleaners, junk food, light bulbs, kids clothing) at cheap prices, it should also work well with the people traveling to work underground from Queen subway to the concourse, they could pick up items on their way to work.

As for the Hotel, seems like a good idea, the last time I went past the 2nd floor was when I was a kid and there was legoland up there, the hotel would do well, its in a great location, walking distance to many attractions and they can also integrate the nice restaurant on the 8th floor. Although I think that the should integrate more of their brands into the building ie. home outfitters and perhaps designer depot on the top floor

I've always felt the Bay discarded it's impressive heritage. I hope the flagship store goes under the old Hudson's Bay name and takes a more elegant stance. BTW, an employee of the Bay told me a few years ago that the main floor cosmetics section was among the most expensive retail areas in North America. If that's still the case it would explain why Lord & Taylor doesn't want to mess with it.

The Hudson's Bay flagship - which was a Simpson's less than a generation ago - lacks that big city swagger that you see in a lot of other upscale department stores in foreign cities. I would actually say that in this city, to a large degree, Holt's has taken over that role from both Eaton's and the Bay. During a decade when analysts decried the demise of the Canadian department store, Holt's managed to become more diversified and a more interesting destination to visit, even if you don't shop. There's still a place for department stores.

Oh, and I hope that any transformation of the Bloor street Bay includes a complete overhaul of that ratty exterior.

re: Heritage.

Yeah, I associate HBC stores with suburban mid-market linen shopping these days, thanks to Home Outfitters and Zellers.

Can you call Holt's a department store? It really has nothing more than expensive clothes and cosmetics.

I really hope they keep the 8th floor the way it is. I love walking through the Arcadian Court to the cafeteria and having a coffee ($1.61) by those giant windows overlooking both city halls. And my favourite painting in the whole city hangs in the foyer by the escalators, "Lights of a City Street" by F.M. Bell-Smith is a turn of the century painting of Yonge & King. It's so large you feel you could walk right into it and step back in time.

Arcadian Court 1944 (before the kitschy late-1980s renovation):

displayimage.asp

Dinner event in the Arcadian Court, Simpsons, Toronto, September 14, 1944

http://www.hbc.com/hbcheritage/learning/gallery/default.asp?PAGE=2&intCategoryId=9

Also, slideshow here:

http://www.arcadiancourt.ca/location/slideshow2.htm

slideshow3.jpg

From the above, to this (ugh):

slideshow4.jpg

Actually the original Arcadian Court was given a "stripped modern" makeover in the late 60s, comtemporary with the Simpson Tower--what we see now was in fact meant in the spirit of "restoration"...

I really hope they keep the 8th floor the way it is. I love walking through the Arcadian Court to the cafeteria and having a coffee ($1.61) by those giant windows overlooking both city halls. And my favourite painting in the whole city hangs in the foyer by the escalators, "Lights of a City Street" by F.M. Bell-Smith is a turn of the century painting of Yonge & King. It's so large you feel you could walk right into it and step back in time.

That's a great place isn't it? The last of the downtown Toronto department store cafeterias.

Back