News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Vaughan Civic Centre (Maple, 4s, KPMB)

I didn't even know there was a thread. I go up there at least every other week. The bell tower is quite the view terminus along Major Mac from the west

Renderings

thanks for digging this thread up I-42 :D

Renderings from Vaughan's website: http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/mediacentre/photos/photo_new_cityhall.cfm

Master Plan (click to enlarge)

city%20hall%20atrium_s.jpg
city%20hall%20atrium2_s.jpg

civic%20plaza%20summer_s.jpg
city%20hall%20skating_s.jpg
city%20hall%20street%20view_s.jpg

new%20chambers1_s.jpg
new%20chambers2_s.jpg

city%20hall%20model1_s.jpg
city%20hall%20model2_s.jpg
city%20hall%20model3_s.jpg
city%20hall%20model4_s.jpg

I have driven past the site a couple of times lately and it looks like they are applying cladding and the glass to some parts. Generally, I think it is a decent design and should be a good impetus for better design in this sprawlber-hood.

However, I wonder about the choice of location- I know the former town hall and civic centre was located here, but isn't there a plan to make Hwy. 7 and Rutherford their newly adopted centre of town? Would it not have made more sense to put this there?

p5

I don't know.. the site models look like it's out of the 50s/60s. It appears like it could have been a submission for Toronto's city hall..

That being said, I haven't seen it in person, mostly because I avoid Vaughan like the plague. I'll withold judgement.

I don't know.. the site models look like it's out of the 50s/60s. It appears like it could have been a submission for Toronto's city hall..

Was there something particularly problematic about the architecture of this period? Unless its egregiously anachronistic, or of a particularly bad design (none of which can be said about this building), I'd withhold criticism.

city%20hall%20atrium2_s.jpg

Apparently the people in the basement and top floor of this building are expected to move extremely quickly.

Is Vaughan known for highly efficient city staff?

8 January 2009 photo update

Actually, not certain if this is the correct thread. On Keele (downtown Maple), just south of Major Mac, with a view of the VCC tower (looks nice, I'd never paid much attention to it before years ago when I often found myself in this part of the world), I spied something under construction--a condo, an office building, or part of this civic centre development?

DSC00170.jpg

Nice view south from here, sadly my camera fails to show the gorgeous York U towers in the distance:

DSC00168-2.jpg

Seven and Finch never meet. More to the point though, there's stuff north of Seven?

Just kidding, we have been planning to get up to Vaughan to shoot this place, and have now booked the canoes and visited the outfitters.

Vaughan's City Hall, as it turns out, has turned out beautifully! It opens officially this Sunday at 2 PM, and you will be able to tour the building after the ribbon is cut. We have a quick story with some gorgeous Tom Arban photos up on our front page here, but will post a more in-depth one in coming weeks.

Vaughan's City Hall, as it turns out, has turned out beautifully! It opens officially this Sunday at 2 PM, and you will be able to tour the building after the ribbon is cut. We have a quick story with some gorgeous Tom Arban photos up on our front page here, but will post a more in-depth one in coming weeks.

Wow... August 1st, 2010 you were getting ready to head up to Vaughan with your canoe, and yesterday, September 23, 2011 you finally returned with the evidence that Vaughan has indeed built a city hall. Glad to hear you made it back!

Back