News   Mar 18, 2024
 681     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 758     0 

Holt Renfrew (includes hr2)

London is a major global centre for fashion and arguably the world's capital for menswear so the comparison is hugely unwarranted, and to criticize Holt's menswear through this lens is simply absurd. Toronto has been a fairly dismal place for guys who like threads so this space is a welcomed addition (to a number of others in recent years).

Agreed.....menswear starting to get some serious attention and the clustering in Yorkville of Holt's new store, Harry Rosen, Suitsupply, Strellson and Kitton is welcome.

Thanks for not breaking precedent with this forum's glass half-empty, I hate my life attitude espoused by the arm chair critics whose arm chair I suspect probably belongs to their parents! :mad: How did all of the world's most cranky bloggers all manage to find their way to Toronto???

I don't hate my life, I hate Holts. And I'm not alone.
I don't live with my parents, but thanks for thinking I'm young enough to do so.
I am not cranky I am accurate.

London is a major global centre for fashion and arguably the world's capital for menswear so the comparison is hugely unwarranted, and to criticize Holt's menswear through this lens is simply absurd. Toronto has been a fairly dismal place for guys who like threads so this space is a welcomed addition (to a number of others in recent years).

So, we should be happy with what little we have and not attempt to aim higher? The clothes at Holts ar over-priced and deliver to a very niche market. The new store only moved the same stuff over to a new store. It is not absurd it is fairly accurate and appropriate.

I'm not sure why you would have expected the Selfridge's men's department in a space of that size (and since it's largely stuff that one can buy at Selfridges...

:confused:

It is clothing you can by in one section of Selfridges. And seeing as Holts owns Selfridges, I don't think providing some of the variety that Selfridges has is asking too much. As for size, granted, it is too small. Which makes the move to a men's only store with nothing more to add than it had at the original location pointless and only highlights how little it offers.

I'm not a Holts guy, except for the cologne section; it's just not my thing. To each their own.

Fine not to be a Holts guy. But your complaints come across as so inane. You bitch about crappy, high-priced clothes, yet whine that it's not Selfridges which sells the same kind of merchandise (not the first time you've complained about stores in Toronto because they don't mimic what you once saw at Oxford and Regent). Expecting the "variety that Selfridges has" completely misses the point of what they are trying to do, not to mention is oblivious to the fact that the space is a small fraction of the size of menswear at Selfridges. And, by the way, Selfridges is hardly the epitome of style or selection. Nice store, but I don't waste a lot of time there. We'd love to hear your constructive commentary about the Holts mens store, as others have provided - complaining that it's not some massive Oxford Street department store is not it.

So, we should be happy with what little we have and not attempt to aim higher? The clothes at Holts ar over-priced and deliver to a very niche market. The new store only moved the same stuff over to a new store. It is not absurd it is fairly accurate and appropriate.

We have been aiming higher, just look at the menswear choices available in Toronto now vs even the fairly recent past. All kinds of new retailers have come on the scene and at all price points.

Yes, Holts is catering to a particular niche in the market with this stand-alone boutique but is that really a retail crime to do so? It seems logical to me (and completely in line with their brand more to the point)... and they have stated that the menswear department within the main store will be very different, more casual and carrying different brands.

Bloor-Yorkville is really stretched for space at the moment. Retailers looking to expand their offerings in this area are not looking at many options right now. Something will be happening at the Holt's main location in the next few years expansion-wise, and Cumberland Terrace will transform, we will get new retail soon enough at 1 Bloor East, more is likely coming at the Manulife Centre, Hazelton Lanes will expand in a couple years, and eventually we will have lots of new space at 1 Bloor West, but all of that is going to take a long time. Because of the pressure to build taller, much taller, anytime there is a redevelopment in the area, the new retail space will take years to be realized.

Does anyone know when Hudson Bay's lease at 2 Bloor East is up? I would be surprised if they retain that space beyond the current term.

They need to get rid of that dreadful Royal Bank bunker, on the corner. I can't think of a worse retail outlet to put there. It totally destroys that intersection.

Honestly though... How many high department stores do we really need? Besides are they renovating their bloor flagship anytime soon? Cause time s running out.

Super interesting to see how Holt's will do at Square One. They will be the outlier there - Nordstrom and Saks will be at Sherway, which has always been perceived as more upscale. Even its secondary anchors: Sporting Life and Harry Rosen are bigger and more upscale than Square One. Feels like a miss to me.

Back