News   Mar 18, 2024
 689     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 759     0 

Holt Renfrew (includes hr2)

Guys, we are years away until all this is done. So bloor will be a construction site for years to come. It's great for the street on the long term, for now thoigh, there is going to be some growing pains.

Really ? It sounded like things would start right away ? Or is it just that it'll take forever to finish and they'll keep the store open throughout ?

Really ? It sounded like things would start right away ? Or is it just that it'll take forever to finish and they'll keep the store open throughout ?

They will start right away - I think Vatche is confusing the MOrguard proposed renovation and reconstruction of 50 Bloor West, which is a totally different project. The store will be renovated (because it has to be in lieu of competition).

Re. ecommerce... holts hired a guy to manage their digital strategy - he started in January.... not sure if he's made any progress. My personal take is that I don't think Holts will weather the Saks/Nordstroms storm well.

I was referring to more in regards to the whole project 50 bloor and holts. On another note, do u guys think that nordstroms can compete with holts? I think holts is more upscale. The equivalent of holts I think is more Neiman Marcus. Nordstroms is more in between holts and the bay.

I walked by the new men's store and the paper was off the windows. What I could see looked very nice. Dark rich colours inside making it look very masculine.

^You're not the first to express that thought, marsh. It sounds like from the articles that the focus of the new men's store has a more business/sartorial focus, while menswear in the main store will have a more casual/sportswear focus. How it ends up working in practice, I guess we'll see.

^You're not the first to express that thought, marsh. It sounds like from the articles that the focus of the new men's store has a more business/sartorial focus, while menswear in the main store will have a more casual/sportswear focus. How it ends up working in practice, I guess we'll see.

With Harry Rosen being across the street, i'm kind of surprised they didn't make this store more for a younger clientele, like a Barney's NY.

I wasn't too impressed with the reno, except for the floors. That tiling in the main level - fantastic. I think they went too masculine and there is just dull grays and metals in the store. I would guess that Torontonian men aren't afraid of a little colour, but what do I know. I think they are going for an older audience.

It's kind that they are having the tailors work in that area overlooking the park on the second floor, but if you ask me, that's the most interesting part of the store. It has a cozy big city feel there.

It looks like they basically moved the main level men's section plus the shoes there. I have no reason to go to the new store, except to check out the amazing Paul Smith shirts, jackets, and ties.

I wasn't too impressed with the reno, except for the floors. That tiling in the main level - fantastic. I think they went too masculine and there is just dull grays and metals in the store. I would guess that Torontonian men aren't afraid of a little colour, but what do I know. I think they are going for an older audience.

It's kind that they are having the tailors work in that area overlooking the park on the second floor, but if you ask me, that's the most interesting part of the store. It has a cozy big city feel there.

It looks like they basically moved the main level men's section plus the shoes there. I have no reason to go to the new store, except to check out the amazing Paul Smith shirts, jackets, and ties.

I can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure I fell asleep half way walking through there. Lol. It's the same over-priced crappy clothing just moved down the street. I thought it would've been expanded like a Selfridge's men's department, but alas, no.

I can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure I fell asleep half way walking through there. Lol. It's the same over-priced crappy clothing just moved down the street. I thought it would've been expanded like a Selfridge's men's department, but alas, no.

Thanks for not breaking precedent with this forum's glass half-empty, I hate my life attitude espoused by the arm chair critics whose arm chair I suspect probably belongs to their parents! :mad: How did all of the world's most cranky bloggers all manage to find their way to Toronto???

I'm not sure why you would have expected the Selfridge's men's department in a space of that size (and since it's largely stuff that one can buy at Selfridges, I'm confused as to whether you were hoping that they would have more "over-priced crappy clothing" or not), and why you compare everything to a few stores near Oxford and Regent.

London is a major global centre for fashion and arguably the world's capital for menswear so the comparison is hugely unwarranted, and to criticize Holt's menswear through this lens is simply absurd. Toronto has been a fairly dismal place for guys who like threads so this space is a welcomed addition (to a number of others in recent years).

Back