News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Hilton Garden Inn (Peter & Adelaide, Easton Group, 16s, P+S)

Actually, this case in particular was meant as a Postmodern aesthetic gesture. (It was the early 90s, when such gestures still meant something.)

As a "unionized hack", I understand completely Palladio's aversion to having public officials accountable for building design. For that matter, let's go all the way to ensuring that "unionized hacks" can't decide building uses, massing, or any other element of city-building. For that matter, let's get them out of transportation planning and health care as well.

After all, Toronto has abundant evidence of non-unionized hacks deciding the aesthetics of buildings, of which a subway trip up to North York Centre will be sufficient evidence of what they and the mystic "market" will dictate.

I find your freqent references to "unionized hacks" offensive.

"After all, Toronto has abundant evidence of non-unionized hacks deciding the aesthetics of buildings, of which a subway trip up to North York Centre will be sufficient evidence of what they and the mystic "market" will dictate."

Not to steal the thunder of your rant but i just wanted to point out that the aesthetic of all buildings regardless of location are largely determined by public legislation and the code requirements dictated by organizations entrusted to create them by the government. You can quickly realize that the government poses as much if not more of an obstacle as any budget rationalization on the part of private interests.

Not to steal the thunder of your rant but i just wanted to point out that the aesthetic of all buildings regardless of location are largely determined by public legislation and the code requirements dictated by organizations entrusted to create them by the government. You can quickly realize that the government poses as much if not more of an obstacle as any budget rationalization on the part of private interests.

Aesthetics? I don't know about you, but even with the same building code across Ontario, you still get Spire vs. French Quarter. That's hardly an outcome of government regulations. And let's not even get into the issue of materials...

AoD

Thanks Alvin. Yes, the role of government in Ontario is largely to ensure safety and utility. Aesthetics really don't come into it much. My larger point is that I find the references to "unionized hacks" offensive, because the issue is not really union vs. non-union workers, but how to ensure a high quality public realm. And further, I do believe that it is fair to question how best to achieve that - whether it be by design review, peer review, or leaving it to the market.

hear hear!

The correct term is, "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

... from this afternoon

HiltonGardenInnonPeter.jpg

Steve Gupta was the same one who did the quite decent Marriott Residence hotel in the same area.

This hotel, on the other hand, is very meh. At least it will attract the mid-level traveller and families on holiday.

Looks like the structure is almost half built -- it's just starting to peek over the warehouse building on the SW corner of Peter/Adelaide.

This hotel is literally surrounded by clubs on all sides. Even if the noise isn't an issue, can you imagine the surprise of a traveller trying to walk up to their fancy hotel at 2am to be surrounded by drunken revellers?

The Hilton Garden Inn will be a mid-priced hotel. It will be one of the cheaper places to stay in the city. Perfect place to stay for drunk club kids :eek:

Back