News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto

Just curious....assuming it could be built, any idea what a 30 mile long maglev under lake ontario would cost?

Well, the Channel Tunnel is shorter than that and apparently was equivalent to a current cost of around $20 billion CAD, plus ten lives lost in construction.

Well, the Channel Tunnel is shorter than that and apparently was equivalent to a current cost of around $20 billion CAD, plus ten lives lost in construction.

Chunnel is conventional rail though...yes? Is maglev more or less expensive?

There is nothing stopping GO/Metrolinx selling equipment to other systems while replacing various cars with new long trip cars.

If the line to London is electrify, there no reason for not moving to 5 car bi-level trains found in Europe. Stadler has the best one as far as I am concern.

If you go to single level 5 car train, a wye gets built to the UPX line to the airport to make a stop before going on to Toronto or London. Long over due.

You need to run 2 different type of service where one is as proposed and the other makes a few more stops for places like Brampton, Georgetown, Guelph, Woodstock and so on.

Seating upgrade on over 2 hour trips is a must, but can be as per current setup as that what you find in Europe now and for new lines that just open. Even first class is this way with some one direction for part of the car. Some have an enclosed area. Some trains had a table between the seats, but not much more leg room. Most trains had Wi-Fi and power outlets to work on your laptop.

You can use both single and double seats

Here is a question for the (far) more knowledgeable folks than me....does a move to shorter trains travelling more frequently open up the opportunity to fit in that dream of mine of a Liberty Village stop on the KW GO line? Previously it was explained to me that the combination/proximity of the curve and the slope into the Strachan underpass made it very difficult to fit in a station platform anywhere in the area for 10 or 12 car trains.

Adding in the Liberty Village area with its proximity to the Exhibition/Ricoh/BMO would seem to be an excellent driver of, particularly, off peak travel......and, to this laymen, this could be an interesting by-product of going to shorter more frequent trains.

don't take my word as gospel, but I'm guessing not. The corridor essentially immediately transitions from the Strachan overpass into the king underpass. Even with 6 car trains of ~150 meters it would be too tight of a fit I would think. There is maybe 200 meters between the Strachan underpass structure ending and the King overpass structure beginning.. Once you include transition spaces in and out of the stations to allow for platforms, you have no space.

don't take my word as gospel, but I'm guessing not. The corridor essentially immediately transitions from the Strachan overpass into the king underpass. Even with 6 car trains of ~150 meters it would be too tight of a fit I would think. There is maybe 200 meters between the Strachan underpass structure ending and the King overpass structure beginning.. Once you include transition spaces in and out of the stations to allow for platforms, you have no space.

but you have to know that I take your word as gospel on everything ;)

Here is a question for the (far) more knowledgeable folks than me....does a move to shorter trains travelling more frequently open up the opportunity to fit in that dream of mine of a Liberty Village stop on the KW GO line? Previously it was explained to me that the combination/proximity of the curve and the slope into the Strachan underpass made it very difficult to fit in a station platform anywhere in the area for 10 or 12 car trains.

Adding in the Liberty Village area with its proximity to the Exhibition/Ricoh/BMO would seem to be an excellent driver of, particularly, off peak travel......and, to this laymen, this could be an interesting by-product of going to shorter more frequent trains.

Maybe not at King, but I would think that retrofitting the Queen-Dufferin intersection to include a station could be done. But like you said, we aren't the most knowledgable people to make that determination, haha.

There will never be a station south of Dundas to service all the lines. Using 3-5 car trains, you can only put a station on each side of the corridor that is very narrow even buying land for a station. No parking and only walk-in and there should be more of them.

The east side service the Barrie line and the west side the Milton line. To get the other lines to service those station will require a lot of crossover moves and becomes an operation nightmare once service start to fall under 30 minutes, but most of all,"PEAK TIME". If a switch fails, it will end up screwing up the whole system.

You can put a station on the Milton Line south of Queen and one at King for the west side.

The east side will be south of King as well at Queen.

You can put in a station for Dundas and require buying the land in between the Barrie and the KW line that will service both lines. Don't know of a spot for the Milton Line without doing some major impact on the area.

The corridor is not wide enough to spread the tracks apart for platform with the 8 tracks going in this area. You could if there was less tracks, but not the case today.

I have call for more stations to be built on all the lines with most of them being for walk-in and using shorter trains all day long. Metrolinx/GO Transit need to think local as well long distance for service to the point you run different types of service to service these new station. I see the milk run that service all the stations including the new ones. Hip Hop that bypass various stations; short runs that only operate between various point only; Local Express that runs from one or 2 stations to Union; current service; Mid express running to/from X station to Union and then the long express that make very few stops from Union to end of line along the line what is there now.

GO should be running 5 car trains off peaks for most of its life, but the cost to break/makeup a train today is too expensive. If DUM/EMU built to EU standard were to be use in place of current standards, the cost to doing the break/makeup becomes a non factor to the point you could run various length of trains at the same time for peak service.

Here's hoping we can get a provincial election out of the way and get moving with high speed rail investments and GO electrification.

Here's hoping we can get a provincial election out of the way and get moving with high speed rail investments and GO electrification.

Of course that's all dependent on who would win such an election. If Hudak comes to power then goodbye to this entire discussion basically.

Decided to do some "Shopping" and looked up some Bombardier trains that would fit the needs of 200+km/h. Came up with these guys, capable of 230km/h. Imagine something like this pulling into Union station, The Kitchener Mobility Hub, and Downtown London... Drool.

cq5dam.web.750.750.jpeg

We could probably save some money by getting trainsets that don't tilt, but yes, 4-6 car EMUs are pretty much the ideal for frequent intercity service.

Back