News   Sep 24, 2024
 489     0 
News   Sep 24, 2024
 792     0 
News   Sep 24, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Hero Burger

"Looks like there is yet another Hero Burgers opening up, this time on the east side of Yonge, just north of King (right beside the Sleep Country). I've heard very mixed reviews of this mini-chain. When it first opened in Hazelton Lanes a few years back lots of people raved about the food, but now it seems more negative than positive....mostly being that the food is overpriced and average in taste."

Quality at all locations went downhill hard and fast about six months ago. I don't know why. It's a shame, because it really did used to be pretty terrific.

"Quality at all locations went downhill hard and fast about six months ago. I don't know why. It's a shame, because it really did used to be pretty terrific."

For me, it's not that the quality has declined - I don't think it has - but that the novelty has worn off. When a combo + condiments can cost over $10, it better be a pretty damn good burger...without the novelty, it's just not always worth it anymore.

re Hero:

"For me, it's not that the quality has declined - I don't think it has - but that the novelty has worn off. When a combo + condiments can cost over $10, it better be a pretty damn good burger...without the novelty, it's just not always worth it anymore."

Fair enough. However, my assessments were made with an almost complete disregard for price ($7 vs. $10, big deal - I'm happy to pay for what I like, and I say that as a non-wealthy individual who isn't usually careless with $, and who really values value, so to speak). I ate there maybe a bit less often than once a month or so pretty regularly for about a year, at various locations. It certainly seemed to me that there was an abrupt change in basic ingredients, as I mentioned, something like 6 months ago, or a bit after the Queen West location opened, whenever that was (fuzzy memory on this point). I'm pretty sure that both the potatoes used for fries and the beef used for burgers simply changed, and clearly not for the better, imo. I can't prove this, of course, and you may be correct, but the change was so noticeable to me that I then visited other locations (Yonge/St.Clair, Hazelton) to investigate further, and was sad to find that it appeared to be an across-the-board drop. Things like this happen sometimes in the 'quick-service' (ugh) industry, especially during expansions - different suppliers, new corporate contracts or whatever, etc. I suppose one could call 'em up and try to find out whether or not this occurred, but I can't be bothered - it doesn't matter much, because either way there seems to be growing consensus that it ain't so great at the moment.

Value does influence taste...if I'm satisfied with a $1.59 junior bacon cheeseburger at Wendy's, I really have to be in the right mood to spend $8 on a Hero burger. Even if there was an unidentifiable "change" in the base ingredients, my burgers are so smothered in Boursin and mustard and my fries so smothered in vinegar that I probably wouldn't notice. However, I have noticed that my odds of getting served a hot burger have declined at all locations lately, even when there's no one else there...but that's not a big deal since Boursin disintegrates when the burger's too hot, anyway. The buns could often be fresher - if there's one ingredient that perhaps has been downgraded due to expansion, I'd say the buns are it. I still seem to eat there at least every two weeks, though.

Brian, I agree with your assessment completely. Something in the food changed. If it were simply a matter of cost, I'd still be craving them, but they just don't taste the same. I'm also finding the fries sporadically cooked - some days white, some days overdone.

The expansion phenomenon that Brian identified - a need to buy ingredients in bulk for instance, rather than shopping for select fresh produce daily, and the quality control challenges that come with multiple locations and staff - sounds plausible. I used to go to the first Toby's Good Eats all the time when it opened on Bloor back in the mid-1970's and it was great. They practically reinvented the burger joint, with a cool retro 1950's feel, at a time when "burgers" meant "greasy spoon" food for most people in this town. Then they opened other locations and everything tasted like cardboard.

i am a fan of the hero burger - but i'm a fairly new convert so i can't compare to the earlier version. really, i think it's more about the different toppings than anything else. maple chipotle barbeque sauce. mmmmm. creole mustard. mmmm.
the fries are indeed hit or miss though.
the yonge street location should reduce the massive lunchtime lineups at their foodcourt location (can't remember which foodcourt it's in)

the loss of harvey's/swiss chalet on front street has really hurt my lunch time rotation of fast food joints.

Back