News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

that's great and all during the summer. Winter would be another story. So the benches will serve a purpose. Also, there are segments of the population that might not be able to get down so low as to sit comfortably on the ground. The bench will provide them with an opportunity to enjoy the slip as well.

It's just a bench. Seriously, that's all it is.

that's great and all during the summer. Winter would be another story. So the benches will serve a purpose. Also, there are segments of the population that might not be able to get down so low as to sit comfortably on the ground. The bench will provide them with an opportunity to enjoy the slip as well.

It's just a bench. Seriously, that's all it is.

It also ruins the style of the design. The design did not have benches in it. If I were the designer of this project, I'd be pissed.

There's seldom such a thing as "the design." This project went through detailed, microscopic analysis and critique at the design review panel in order to turn it into something that would work in the real world. We seem to need continual reminders that architecture and design are also about making places to live in, not just places to look at.

My mom will certainly enjoy the waterfront on one of her 'millions of benches' at the corner of Steeles and Yonge.

i recall the benches being part of the later designs. i think i also remember the design panel commenting on them. unfortunately, i've been having difficulty getting on to waterfront toronto's website all morning.

There are a million benches in the city, and probably many right around that area for her to sit on ;)

Have you actually LOOKED at the benches as opposed to a drawing or a photo? You generally seem too ready to criticise (or praise) based on renderings, or photos of work still in process. There's nothing like actually looking at the real thing, and sometimes reserving judgement until it is finished. I looked "on site" last week and think the benches are both useful and aesthetic.

At least the benches fit in with the design of the slip. Could be much worse and I know plenty of people who would never think of sitting on the ground who would gladly welcome these benches.

I think the benches are fine as they are surely going to be much more comfortable than sitting on the tiny little steps. As obvious as it sounds, benches have this power to order space and essentially say "SIT HERE". It's amazing what a psychological difference they make.
The little public spaces around the Varsity Stadium, for example, are now nicely populated by people on a nice day because they have these sitting blocks on them. I never saw anyone sitting around there before.

It also ruins the style of the design. The design did not have benches in it. If I were the designer of this project, I'd be pissed.
khristopher... are you an art student out of curiosity?

not everything in life is about looks and style. the benches serve a functional purpose.

would you rather having something that looks great and you cant use, or something that looks decent and you CAN use?

Well the designer of the project West 8 + DTAH were the actual designers of those benches..... take a look at Page 7. The new benches being installed there are exactly how they should look as outlined in the furnishings section of the PDF.

http://www.waterfronttoronto.com/dbdocs//47878be73d422.pdf

Back