News   Apr 26, 2024
 361     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 193     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 648     0 

H5 & H6 Final Run

Kind of sad to see them go. But this is the cost of progress.

Best of luck to the Nigerians. These things will be 70 by time they're done with them. Fingers crossed that they last that long :rolleyes:

Official last run for the H5 will be around noon on Friday June 14, with more detail to be release on Thursday

The last H5 trip will depart the Wilson hostler southbound at around 12 noon, 1:00 pm Finch, 2:00 pm Downsview and then into the yard!

H-5s

The last H5 trip will depart the Wilson hostler southbound at around 12 noon, 1:00 pm Finch, 2:00 pm Downsview and then into the yard!

This will put the H-5s in fourth place for longevity at 36 years and almost 1 month of service. H-4s hold down first spot (37 years and four months), followed by the M cars and the G-1s (both at well over 36 years). The shortest service lifespan is held by the H-2s at just over 29 years (March 1972- summer 2001). If the H-6s are all gone by next spring they will take over last place at only about 27 years.

This will put the H-5s in fourth place for longevity at 36 years and almost 1 month of service. H-4s hold down first spot (37 years and four months), followed by the M cars and the G-1s (both at well over 36 years). The shortest service lifespan is held by the H-2s at just over 29 years (March 1972- summer 2001). If the H-6s are all gone by next spring they will take over last place at only about 27 years.

That's really interesting!

Glad this is going to be over soon. Roll on the H6 exit. Not half as cheering as the exit of the sauna H4s of course.

Glad this is going to be over soon. Roll on the H6 exit. Not half as cheering as the exit of the sauna H4s of course.

I guess you weren't around town to ride the H1s and H2s? At least the diffusers on the H-4 fans circulated the air downwards for some air flow. The fans on the H1s and H2s were completely useless, they were real sweatboxes.

I guess you weren't around town to ride the H1s and H2s? At least the diffusers on the H-4 fans circulated the air downwards for some air flow. The fans on the H1s and H2s were completely useless, they were real sweatboxes.

I guess you weren't around town to ride the Gloucester cars? :) With no fans at all, the only ventilation was provided by opening windows, and that was completely inadequate. Used to be I'd pass by G cars in hopes that a H1 or H2 would come by; they were vastly more comfortable.

Comfort depends on what you are used to.

I guess you weren't around town to ride the Gloucester cars? :) With no fans at all, the only ventilation was provided by opening windows, and that was completely inadequate. Used to be I'd pass by G cars in hopes that a H1 or H2 would come by; they were vastly more comfortable.

Comfort depends on what you are used to.

Summers in the mid-80s didn't have the extended blazing heat waves we've been experiencing more recently so riding G cars wasn't as bad as overheated H-cars in the blistering summers of the late 90s and 2000s. I actually rode Gloucester trains at every opportunity and let H-1s pass by so I guess our paths never crossed ;-)

Modified my schedule a little so I would make it on the H5. Video to come soon...

YLCaNyB.jpg

z4oZ1Vg.jpg

gUYs131.jpg

iJUhO4K.jpg

SkqAhwT.jpg

9044225296_f9100c7565_c.jpg

Modified my schedule a little so I would make it on the H5. Video to come soon...

Thanks for the shots. I understand the train crapped out northbound at Eglinton West and had to be run into the yard out of service by a technician. That's what happens when you leave an old train sitting in the yard for a week without using it! Oh well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the shots. I understand the train crapped out northbound at Eglinton West and had to be run into the yard out of service by a technician. That's what happens when you leave an old train sitting in the yard for a week without using it! Oh well.

Yes it crap out at Eglinton, but made its way to Downsview. Caught a couple of shots as it was pulling out and too fast to get a video of the departure.

Nice to hear the whistle being used to announce the closing of the doors.

My guard/driver went all for this event with all the PA announcements and very friendly as well. My hat off to him for the well done job by him. He even ended up blowing the horn more than enough to make everyone day happier. He even dress up for the event and wore his hat also.

He due to retire in the next year or so since he has more than enough years in at this time.

H5 entering service at Wilson Station.
[video=youtube;gM30FyKzLfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM30FyKzLfQ[/video]

Word is the H6 will be gone in January 2014.

Last edited:

Back