News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

yes, but it does have some implications - should a bus ride from Hamilton to Waterloo Region really be $3.20?
I highly doubt this would be the case… it would probably just be a flat $10 fare like it more or less is right now. But, as this is mostly pertaining to local transit, if you could theoretically take an HSR bus to Waterloo, your transfer onto GRT should be free. Again, literally impossible given there will never be development at that end of Hamilton (Flamborough is all greenbelt) but if it were possible, its fine.

Seeing QP now only has about 6 months left before fare integration, is there any word on when exactly it will be implemented and more importantly, what exactly it's suppose to look like? 6 months isn't much time to update all of Presto, fare machines, and let the public know ahead of time what exactly is going to change and how it will impact their ride and wallet.
The system is already capable of it. Back in April, when GO busses diverted to Highway 407 Terminal you weren't charged a TTC fare when transferring from the GO bus.

The system is already capable of it. Back in April, when GO busses diverted to Highway 407 Terminal you weren't charged a TTC fare when transferring from the GO bus.

And not that long ago they had the $1.50 TTC fare with a GO connection, they can easily just charge $0. But God I hope they don't do that kind of detour again, it was a nightmare.

Whatever they are doing, they better get their act in gear. This fare integration is suppose to be done by the end of the year and I think Ford will keep to that. The last thing he wants is yet another political noose around his neck transit delay ala Eglinton.

Upgrading the software for payment is not particularly difficult or time consuming but it does require letting people know and understand the new fare structure is. This isn't just like increasing the fare every few years but a total rework of the fare structure and people have to understand it and know what it means for them BEFORE the new fare system takes effect. Considering the year is half over, there is little time left.

Upgrading the software for payment is not particularly difficult or time consuming but it does require letting people know and understand the new fare structure is. This isn't just like increasing the fare every few years but a total rework of the fare structure and people have to understand it and know what it means for them BEFORE the new fare system takes effect. Considering the year is half over, there is little time left.
How is this a total rework of the fare system? It's pretty much just the previous GO-TTC discount, but with a bigger discount...

I for one don't believe that GO-TTC transfers will be implemented by the end of the year. It's such a big promise with no funding or steps to show for it, it wasn't even an official press release.

Something is coming on this file. (I'm not meaning to be opaque, its a bit a hard to get details from provincial sources under this government, but I can tell you extensive discussions have occurred.)

Also, based on the FAO's numbers, Ontario is sitting on at least 3B in current year surplus, and 4.3B if you accept the originally projected deficit. There's money available, if that's how they choose to spend it.

If they go for zone based fare as some people suggested, it will be a major rework.
It's not likely, at least the initial implementation.
I for one don't believe that GO-TTC transfers will be implemented by the end of the year. It's such a big promise with no funding or steps to show for it, it wasn't even an official press release.
Right now, from a software development standpoint, the focus is finishing up/testing the "interface" between FareGo for the TTC Fare Gates and the rest of the Presto back end to enable account-based transactions (virtual card/open payment), as stated in the TTC's major projects update.

There's more, but I'm not allowed to say.

Something is coming on this file. (I'm not meaning to be opaque, its a bit a hard to get details from provincial sources under this government, but I can tell you extensive discussions have occurred.)
You're right, they've been quite strict about maintaining confidentially regarding this round of testing vs previous tests.

Whatever they are doing, they better get their act in gear. This fare integration is suppose to be done by the end of the year and I think Ford will keep to that. The last thing he wants is yet another political noose around his neck transit delay ala Eglinton.

I'm not going to rewrite this but note that I wrote this comment more than 2 months ago when QP, TTC, and GO had 6 months to present and implement fare integration by the end of the year. Now they have less than 4 months. Any news on the fare integration front?

I'm not going to rewrite this but note that I wrote this comment more than 2 months ago when QP, TTC, and GO had 6 months to present and implement fare integration by the end of the year. Now they have less than 4 months. Any news on the fare integration front?
The new target is February 2024, I'm as disappointed as everyone else.

Article:

"After years of discussions, there finally appears to be relief on the way for TTC passengers who connect with GO Transit trains and buses as the Ontario government is set to introduce discounted fares in early 2024."

“That fare integration is part of our plan going forward in the very near future. We’re just on target, five months away, in February 2024.”
Well, "part of our plan" is the only hint towards broader fare integration.

Back