News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

IMO, the reason behind the argument against departing from flat fare is because TTC and its riders are still stuck in 1980. If you look at any other major system in the world
with comparable size they are virtually all fare by distance or hybrid. There is no way that TTC can continue to expand and charge everyone 3.25 to ride from end to end, especially if the subsidisation is low.
TTC riders who claim that they will be unable to afford transit are really just complacent via inaction by the TTC to adapt to the 21st century and have become entitled to what is essentially an obsolete and financially inefficient model.

IMO, the reason behind the argument against departing from flat fare is because TTC and its riders are still stuck in 1980. If you look at any other major system in the world
with comparable size they are virtually all fare by distance or hybrid. There is no way that TTC can continue to expand and charge everyone 3.25 to ride from end to end, especially if the subsidisation is low.
TTC riders who claim that they will be unable to afford transit are really just complacent via inaction by the TTC to adapt to the 21st century and have become entitled to what is essentially an obsolete and financially inefficient model.
How long is your daily travel route as well travel time??

How long is your daily travel route as well travel time??
I have to travel Viva and TTC. It used to be achievable during rush hour within 1.5hrs but now with the crosstown....2 hrs is expected.

Still regardless, you really shouldnt charge someone the same $X for taking the bus 3 blocks with someone who takes the bus, takes the subway across town and transfers again.
Even Montreal has somewhat separated their bus service with their metro

I think you nail it. I think, in general, they're just a very conservative organization and they can't see past themselves and they sincerely don't really care if someone has to take YRT to the GO station to Union and then take a subway up to their job at College, or whatever.

I've said it here and on other threads but none of the "world class cities" we aspire to be run things this way. They don't have flat fares, they don't have 20 warring local agencies; it just doesn't happen. This is about responding to the new reality vs. 1980 (or 73, when they started doing it), which is people going in different directions and crossing borders.

I mean this, from the article, is just B.S.:
TTC officials are reluctant to abandon that flat fare model. “To be able to travel right across Toronto with one fare is a huge benefit,” said Chris Upfold, the TTC’s chief customer officer, “and I think very, very clearly, is one of the reasons why Toronto has such high proportional ridership compared to transit systems across North America.”

Very clearly? Very VERY clearly?
Prove it. New York City has different fares for subway and bus and do tell, Mr. Upfold, how's their ridership?

More straight-up B.S:
And there is no reliable way to measure the length of bus and streetcar trips, Upfold said.

Because you can't tap on and off with Presto? What's he even talking about here? And finally, I agree with Colle's point here that the TTC should be made whole but then he goes off about their subsidy when everyone knows that TTC's insanely low subsidy is something they love trumpeting.

No matter what, Colle is adamant that the TTC, which carries 85 per cent of transit riders in the GTHA, not take on additional costs. He notes that as it stands, each TTC trip is subsidized by Toronto taxpayers at a rate of 89 cents per ride. That means that the 12 per cent of the TTC passengers who live in the outlying regions and take Toronto transit have their trips subsidized by Toronto residents.

That's fine, but then realize how it undermines your argument about the overall network. If Toronto was paying more than half the fare, as happens in most of the 905, it would be a lot easier for them to complain but by putting so much on the farebox, it's less of an issue where the riders come from.

Talking about those subsidies without looking at origins and destinations is also disingenuous. If someone from North York goes from Fairview Mall to North York Centre, the fact they're in an "outlying region" is meaningless. Especially compared to someone who lives downtown and treks out to the far end of the Danforth.

I think those quotes demonstrate, quite clearly, how hard it is for TTC to think outside the box. They literally don't understand how tapping on and off works, even though the tech has been around in World Class Cities for over a decade. It's kinda sad, really.

with comparable size they are virtually all fare by distance or hybrid.

While I can't speak for "all major systems in the world with comparable size", I can say neither NYC, Chicago, nor Montreal are fare by distance. In fact, the only subway I have been on with any kind of zoning is London.

Toronto has a possibly unique political circumstance - any attempt to increase fare by distance within the 416 will *directly* punish the lowest income portions of the city, and *directly* benefit the more affluent core. Political poison.

Last edited:
More straight-up B.S:
And there is no reliable way to measure the length of bus and streetcar trips, Upfold said.

Because you can't tap on and off with Presto? What's he even talking about here?
They literally don't understand how tapping on and off works, even though the tech has been around in World Class Cities for over a decade. It's kinda sad, really.
While I agree with most of your post, this is not exactly a solved problem. Vancouver tried to do tap-off on buses, and it failed spectacularly.

Reading the commentary I have to wonder - is this about ameliorating the cross-municipality double fare effect, or is it about flat fare within a municipality being "passe" or that it makes short distance travel unattractive? They are different policy problems that depending on how you frame it, has different solutions.

IMO, the reason behind the argument against departing from flat fare is because TTC and its riders are still stuck in 1980. If you look at any other major system in the world with comparable size they are virtually all fare by distance or hybrid.

And oftentimes said zones coincide with political boundaries.

AoD

Reading the commentary I have to wonder - is this about ameliorating the cross-municipality double fare effect, or is it about flat fare within a municipality being "passe" or that it makes short distance travel unattractive? They are different policy problems.

AoD

Exactly - the first issue is being used as cover to modify the second. Zoning the 416 can have only three outcomes:

1) The current pricing establishes a maximum price, and inner zones become cheaper - yeah right, like that will happen
2) pricing is modified up and down with the net result achieving revenue neutrality - Political suicide
3) The current pricing establishes a minimum price, and outer zones become more expensive - see #2 . Personally, on principle I am opposed to trying to squeeze more money out of the fare box.

Exactly - the first issue is being used as cover to modify the second. Zoning the 416 can have only three outcomes:

1) The current pricing establishes a maximum price, and inner zones become cheaper - yeah right, like that will happen
2) pricing is modified up and down with the net result achieving revenue neutrality - Political suicide
3) The current pricing establishes a minimum price, and outer zones become more expensive - see #2 . Personally, on principle I am opposed to trying to squeeze more money out of the fare box.

Besides, it would be kind of weird to expect Toronto to zone its' fares and not say Mississauga or Brampton to do the same, especially if travel distance is the argument - and that would be a giant can of worms as well. I know York Region does it - but that's only N/S - no attempt to zone E/W, which is practically the width of the City of Toronto.

AoD

Last edited:
While I can't speak for "all major systems in the world with comparable size", I can say neither NYC, Chicago, nor Montreal are fare by distance. In fact, the only subway I have been on with any kind of zoning is London.

Toronto has a possibly unique political circumstance - any attempt to increase fare by distance within the 416 will *directly* punish the lowest income portions of the city, and *directly* benefit the more affluent core. Political poison.

Why do people think fare by distance will hurt the lowest income families? It hurts the cause when politicians perpetuate this misconception.

You assume that they all have the same travelling patterns as a white-collar worker (9-5 downtown). While some do, many have to travel from Toronto to Mississauga or York to get to their blue collared job working in a factory. Quite a few lower income friends have to have a car since transit is not running at the time they need to get to their shift (and the stop is a long way from work). They also need shorter trips to get to the mall to go shopping while generally middle/upper class can either walk to the store (downtown or right on a subway line) or drive there (outer Toronto).

Right now they are probably worse off due to the single-fare structure. If they want to get to the store for a bag of milk...it's $3. Pick up the kids from daycare...it's $3. With zones these short rides will be cheaper ($1.50) and maybe there will be a monthly pass for a small zone (5 km) that is only $50.

I'm really looking forward to the data that Presto will give us on where people go to/from. Sorta wish they gave Presto 6 months after implementation so they could gather data before making these decisions.

No matter what, Colle is adamant that the TTC, which carries 85 per cent of transit riders in the GTHA, not take on additional costs. He notes that as it stands, each TTC trip is subsidized by Toronto taxpayers at a rate of 89 cents per ride. That means that the 12 per cent of the TTC passengers who live in the outlying regions and take Toronto transit have their trips subsidized by Toronto residents.

He also forgets a few other things about travel patterns:

- there are an equal number of people leaving Toronto every day as people coming to Toronto. And since YRT (and other transit bodies) subsidize more per rider than the TTC, doesn't that mean that Toronto residents win out?
- Ontario subsidizes inbound trips to Toronto via GO Transit which significantly reduces the cost of transit/roads compared to other cities
- Commercial/retail fund a large component of taxes in Toronto

If he was as serious about running the TTC as he is about getting his name published in the Star we would have a efficient transit operator!

Why do people think fare by distance will hurt the lowest income families? It hurts the cause when politicians perpetuate this misconception.

You assume that they all have the same travelling patterns as a white-collar worker (9-5 downtown). While some do, many have to travel from Toronto to Mississauga or York to get to their blue collared job working in a factory. Quite a few lower income friends have to have a car since transit is not running at the time they need to get to their shift (and the stop is a long way from work). They also need shorter trips to get to the mall to go shopping while generally middle/upper class can either walk to the store (downtown or right on a subway line) or drive there (outer Toronto).

Right now they are probably worse off due to the single-fare structure. If they want to get to the store for a bag of milk...it's $3. Pick up the kids from daycare...it's $3. With zones these short rides will be cheaper ($1.50) and maybe there will be a monthly pass for a small zone (5 km) that is only $50.

I'm really looking forward to the data that Presto will give us on where people go to/from. Sorta wish they gave Presto 6 months after implementation so they could gather data before making these decisions.
Where are you getting the idea that a short fare is $1.50? There exist a problem in Toronto where some people can't find jobs locally (especially immigrants). They end up living in the poorest neighbourhood like Jane-Finch and work at a Timmies in Scarborough. This isn't a misconception but reality that some of us aren't aware cause we don't live like these people.

I expect that prices would be higher like 2.50 for short trips (bus only), 3.50 for longer trips (burbs to downtown) and 4.50 for the extra long Scarborough to Etocicoke trips. They even got the idea of a fare premium for travelling in rush hour. The TTC wants the new fare system to bring in the same revenue as the existing one. This means ideally the majority of customers would be paying the same price as today. The more short trips made, the higher the price short trips would be. This is TTC math for you. The system can't suffer thus the majority won't save any money. Some would end up paying more to substitute for those paying less.

To remove double fares, everyone else will just chip in a little more to pay for the second fare. This is reality if no additional government subsidies happen.

He also forgets a few other things about travel patterns:

- there are an equal number of people leaving Toronto every day as people coming to Toronto. And since YRT (and other transit bodies) subsidize more per rider than the TTC, doesn't that mean that Toronto residents win out?
- Ontario subsidizes inbound trips to Toronto via GO Transit which significantly reduces the cost of transit/roads compared to other cities
- Commercial/retail fund a large component of taxes in Toronto

If he was as serious about running the TTC as he is about getting his name published in the Star we would have a efficient transit operator!
Show me some numbers to back this claim. I find this hard to believe (in terms of transit usage). Unless you are claiming the same 905 riders coming and going which makes your point invalid.
The number of 905 riders taking the TTC/GO is much higher than 416 riders taking the GO/MiWay/YRT/DRT/Brampton Transit. If your claim is true, we should see the bus at Finch pick up the same about of riders as it drops off. GO trains should do two way service to bring the 416 riders to the 905 region. If it's the same 905 riders taking TTC, Toronto is subsidizing both their inbound and outbound trips. They are also filling up the subway at Finch displacing 416 riders who paid fare and property taxes. This is unfair to people living in Toronto to put up with this. 416 riders don't fill up VIVA buses. The number of 416 riders needing subsidies on the YRT is far lower.

Toronto residents don't win anything at all in terms of transit. The city gains economics at the expense of a failing transit system and a congested road network. The GTA is much better off if there are larger economic cores in the 905. This would increase the counter-peak direction ridership and would reduce subsidies.

Agreed. There's zero evidence that the number of 905->416 riders is equivalent to the number of 416->905 riders.

There's also zero evidence that whatever change occurs would be revenue neutral - every government is looking for a way to increase revenues.

While I agree with most of your post, this is not exactly a solved problem. Vancouver tried to do tap-off on buses, and it failed spectacularly.

I hear you. But the point is that we're not reinventing the wheel. We can look at Vancouver, New York, London, Paris; on and on, places where they have various forms of fare integration. Toronto's position - to be clear- is they want NO fare integration. Or, to be a little fair, no fare integration without a fare subsidy which is not entirely unreasonable, as a position. But their starting position is NO change, just like with Presto they would have kept using tokens until kingdom come (unless you believe the belated "open payment" dog and pony show they put on).

As for 416/905 commuting, there are screenline counts that show how many people go between the regions.. I've seen them but maybe some pros know where to find them. I don't know the numbers are equal but they're definitely more than 416 pols think and the trend of 416-->905 trips is certainly increasing consistently over the years, I think it's safe to say.

I think the larger point is that one way of reducing stress on the current radial system is to encourage cross-border trips and off-peak trips and that there are already lots of off-peak, and reverse-commuting trips that are not served by the current system. A good system would create overall fairness, even if some people who now benefit would no longer do so.

There is a lot of 416-> 905 trips. A car is usually involved oppose to transit. 905 subsidizes the road cost for 416 drivers and vice versa. Ontario pays for they 400 series highway while Toronto residents have to pay up for the 905 drivers on the Gardiner/DVP. 905 drivers opposes the proposed tolls on them while they technically shouldn't even have a say in this topic.

In the TTC budget, none of this matter. There is a lot of 905->416 transit trips from 905 riders and not the other way around.

Back