News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 537     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Graffiti

And why not - tagging is certainly a more honest mode of expression than the pretentious "graffiti art" that has nothing much to do with art at all since it says nothing original.

how do you figure? since tags and pieces are saying the same thing..... 9/10 times it's the writers name. A piece is a more in depth version of the hand style(tag)

it's not extortion, because no one is forcing you to get a mural

you should be concentrating on what the cops are going to do about it, its their job not ours. if their current anti-graffiti program is not affective then maybe they should rethink their strategy.

When someone has their property vandalized without their consent it is something being forced on them. You suggested that these vandals could be placated by a property owner paying tribute to the vandal. Seems someone would be spraying things up regardless.

As for the police, no I should not be concentrating on them. Such a suggestion is simply childish. The police are not carrying out the vandalism in question, are they? Why are they responsible for it if they are not doing it? You have willfully misplaced responsibility to protect your assumed right to vandalize the property of other people.

The fact that vandalism is somehow being confused here with rightful freedom of expression and art is telling. To proclaim that acts of vandalism such as this are free expression is akin to suggesting that uttering death threats is also free and rightful expression. It's a mockery of the idea.

Buy yourself some canvas or purchase your own home and spray all you want. Lay off other people.

Quoted for truth.

Roots I have to agree with TrickyRicky completely. While it may be a matter of semantics, if all the 'graffiti' was like what you posted I am sure that this thread would exist a a means to support and encourage it. In the context of this thread though, it is being referred as the 'tags' which in no way constitute art. They are nothing more than an eyesore and are a problem in the city.

Fair enough, the tittle of the thread should be tagging, but it doesnt really matter.

And to call the wilfull defacing of public and private property a "culture" is the biggest load of self-serving crock of shit I have ever heard of. So criminal activity constitutes "culture"? If by sub-culture, you mean, sub-human, then you're correct, along with being a moral and intellectual cripple.

Not all Graffiti is illegal, so the legal stuff you still consider not cultural? yes graff artist with real talent are the worst criminals on earth, they should be marched into a ditch and shot lol, there not morally superior with divine law bidding insight like you, your like an advanced human prototype bread from the heighest plains of royal judgment of whats culture and whats not.
not like those dirty sub human graff skids.

just because you dont enjoy the aesthetic of graffiti pieces, doesnt mean its not worth anything or not cultural,

and by far most graffiti has nothing to do with gangs, alot of the graff guys end up going to school like sheridan or something.

actually graffiti saved alot of kids from getting into trouble, they focused on there craft and lived a sub culture that trancends everything, every race, cultural background, age, or class does it, poor kids along side the wealthier kids, it started in new york and went world wide, new york is considered one of the most creative cities in the world right, every major creative city has graffiti, in fact if toronto had no graffiti i'd be worried, it would probably mean that toronto is not a hub for all walks of creative people, it would probably mean that toronto is a unicultural city, dry.

ok im done haha, feel free to continue bashing the tags that are all over.

Graffiti-when did it come to Toronto?

Everyone: Since this topic is about graffiti when did it come to Toronto? I remember little from my mainly 1980s trips north. Some artists can do very colorful and elaborate work. I was interested in graffiti when I was a teenager-I feel where it is sanctioned no problem but vandalizing property-like those 1950s TTC Subway cars that were recently tagged at the Halton Railway Museum-I say NO WAY and that is where I draw the line there(no pun intended).

Paraone and Ganjavih: I recognize the Phun Phactory-it is in Long Island City,Queens adjacent to the 45th Road/Court House Square #7 line station. Some of the best murals are visible from the #7 train on the east side(not pictured) and note the Citicorp Tower in the background-NYCs tallest building outside Manhattan.
LI MIKE

Everyone: Since this topic is about graffiti when did it come to Toronto?

There was actually very little graffiti here during the 80's. There were a couple of shitty pieces out in scarborough and a few things found here and there. In about 1988 Ren, Hope, MSK, Recca and Kane started a crew called TCM and started to paint behind the Midas on Bloor St. Thats when a lot of kids were introduced to it.
So in about 1990 it really started to flourish here. We started to have jams in the parking lot on Queen next to the old Bamboo and each year it doubled in size. The owner of a mural compant called Murad started Flexpo, which was a huge Jam each summer sponsored by Sony, they got great artists from the US to come out, like Zephyr, Twist, Crush, Sub, Tyke, thats when it just got crazy up here. Graffiti really started to come out of the shadows and into the mainstream a bit more.

they got great artists from the US to come out, like Zephyr, Twist, Crush, Sub, Tyke, thats when it just got crazy up here. Graffiti really started to come out of the shadows and into the mainstream a bit more.

Thats cool, yeah its cool how universal it got, just kept progressing,
Seen is one of the top famous graffiti kings from new york, i think he has a tattoo shop now? then theres Dondi he died way back, amazing painter, Doze does some really cool organic stuff, cool beings, ancient symbolism, mixed with futurism in his stuff, its really innovative, and Ramellze is on some weird stuff, but cool, theres so many that made carriers,

Mear one is one my favs as well, he has fun stuff, and he has some very political work as well,

check out his site its got lots
http://www.mearone.com/

graffiti = around for 2000+ years
people complaining about it = about the same amount of time

just stop. stop. nothing will come of this discussion.

Banksy does do some amazing thought provoking work for sure....

just came across this site this morning. On-line auction showcasing some classic graff pieces for sale, the only banksy they have is already sold, not that I have 10,000 pounds!!

http://www.luciusgallery.com/

Bansky is awesome, he went into one of the main art galleries in England and managed to sneak in a gallery with some of his art work and he hung it up on or wall or something, it stayed in the gallery for a while before they noticed and they ended up keeping Banskys art work, he has a name for sure.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/

A partial solution would be to ban the sales of spray paint to anyone that's less than 19. Something similar to sales of cigarettes.

A partial solution would be to ban the sales of spray paint to anyone that's less than 19. Something similar to sales of cigarettes.

but people tend to like the murals, and stuff done with the spray cans better then the tags done with markers, so you'd just be encourging more tags instead of real art work

Back