News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 629     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Graffiti

Yeah, there seems to be something awfully...weird about tkip as Mike Stafford acolyte. Like, a really culturally stunted filter through which to judge the culturally stunted.

Indeed, if I may judge from whatever tkip's related of himself and his family and views, his problem is that he's a peasant. His background may be one of "values"; but it still sounds to me to be terribly simple-minded and unsophisticated. And he's speaking of his peasant peers and next-generations--but again: let's bring the UT tradition of urban-form-discussion into this. In the end, those kids who vandalize in the name of graffiti and public ill-manners are no different from their elders who (often much more innocently, their being untutored, unsophisticated peasants and all) vandalize in the name of gross teardowns and EIFS stucco jobs...

Again, the usual smug, superior progressive retort I expect from people who can't handle hearing criticisms about society and social problems. Just easier to call me names and vilify because it makes you feel better.

Nope. Just easier to say "unsophisticated" and "peasants" to justify that you have the only true angle on society. People like me and others are somehow deluded or bitter or just plain poor, uneducated hicks that can't understand reality around them. It's a wonder I was even able to type, spell and post this.

I was raised in a home by a single mother with rules and consequences and we had to pull our share, help out and make our way. No freebies, no free ride. We had to make sacrifices, were taught work ethic and the value of earning your own way. Simple upbringing with some good times and some hard times. Mother wanted us to learn certain values.

Contrast this with my father's parenting.

Raised my half siblings in the opposite environment where they were no curfews, no rules, no consequences. Allowed to indulge all their wants with no clear boundaries and expectations introduced and enforced. His parenting was very similar to the pattern of what's happened over the past several years in north america.

And it's been a spectacular failure. We've produced a gen of people who can't cope properly, can't maintain relationships, have insanely inflated sense of self worth and possess little modesty and restraint.

We allowed unhealthy themes to raise and condition our youth and then people wonder why/about people in masses tear up streets, threaten openly in public, disrespect all authority, litter everywhere, rampant drug use, out of control promiscuous behaviour, broken relationships abound, disregard for others, collapse of manners, the over-sexualization of society and still nothing is wrong?

The next time you guys complain about those hordes of trashy, obnoxious douches from the 905, I'm going to remind you that someone RAISED them to behave this way. Didn't happen in a vacum.

Last edited:
A whole generation of who?
Are you mad, man? Seriously. Are you honestly going to tell me that my entire generation (I'm 26) is fucked up beyond reproach? First, this requires lumping us all into one homogenous group...which, by the way, is just plain fucked up. Secondly, this ignores the vast multitude of variables that go into the experiences that make people who they are.

My various groups of friends alone are vastly different from each other as groups. You really are delusional. Now, I'm not going to lie: my best friends and I are quite the pirates and we are ridiculous and we do stay up all night and do copious amounts of drugs both legal and illegal and we do drink in public and we can be a bit loud sometimes when having a laugh but we have a thousand times more respect for others than you give an entire generation credit and we work and pay taxes and understand what it means to be responsible and carry your own weight. And this is just my space cadet crew. You would shit if I were to tell you about my highly-educated, university graduate, professional friends. It would blow your mind. :p

Shit, and you're only in your mid-40s.....goody gumdrops, I can't wait to see how grumpy, senile, and delusional you'll be in your 70s.

Perhaps it's just me but I enjoy the sidewalk chalk artists.

I think they're great. It seems most people are agreeing that illegible names written in black marker is not art. I'm don't even know why people do that (please explain?).

But if people are REALLY upset about it, check out how NYC dealt with its problem. I remember reading (in Gladwell's Tipping Point maybe) that the NY police would sit back and watch as kids spent hours painting a subway train. Then when they were done, the cops would walk down and paint over it in front of them (probably not the cops, though). They sent a message that your efforts will go to waste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti_in_New_York

I think they're great. It seems most people are agreeing that illegible names written in black marker is not art. I'm don't even know why people do that (please explain?).

But if people are REALLY upset about it, check out how NYC dealt with its problem. I remember reading (in Gladwell's Tipping Point maybe) that the NY police would sit back and watch as kids spent hours painting a subway train. Then when they were done, the cops would walk down and paint over it in front of them (probably not the cops, though). They sent a message that your efforts will go to waste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graffiti_in_New_York
That's awesome. Kudos to them.

Again, the usual smug, superior progressive retort I expect from people who can't handle hearing criticisms about society and social problems. Just easier to call me names and vilify because it makes you feel better.

Nope. Just easier to say "unsophisticated" and "peasants" to justify that you have the only true angle on society. People like me and others are somehow deluded or bitter or just plain poor, uneducated hicks that can't understand reality around them. It's a wonder I was even able to type, spell and post this.

I was raised in a home by a single mother with rules and consequences and we had to pull our share, help out and make our way. No freebies, no free ride. We had to make sacrifices, were taught work ethic and the value of earning your own way. Simple upbringing with some good times and some hard times. Mother wanted us to learn certain values.

Contrast this with my father's parenting.

Raised my half siblings in the opposite environment where they were no curfews, no rules, no consequences. Allowed to indulge all their wants with no clear boundaries and expectations introduced and enforced. His parenting was very similar to the pattern of what's happened over the past several years in north america.

And it's been a spectacular failure. We've produced a gen of people who can't cope properly, can't maintain relationships, have insanely inflated sense of self worth and possess little modesty and restraint.

We allowed unhealthy themes to raise and condition our youth and then people wonder why/about people in masses tear up streets, threaten openly in public, disrespect all authority, litter everywhere, rampant drug use, out of control promiscuous behaviour, broken relationships abound, disregard for others, collapse of manners, the over-sexualization of society and still nothing is wrong?

The next time you guys complain about those hordes of trashy, obnoxious douches from the 905, I'm going to remind you that someone RAISED them to behave this way. Didn't happen in a vacum.

Yeah, and re "didn't happen in a vacum" (sic), that's why I raised the issue of those who "vandalize in the name of gross teardowns and EIFS stucco jobs". A built-environmental metaphor that transcends your twaddle (and which, interestingly, you sidestepped, unless your knock against my "smug, superior, progressive retort" counts as not sidestepping--in which case, I don't understand why a philistine child of philistinism like you is even *in* Urban Toronto in the first place. Of course, you're going to get bludgeoned around here for defending that stuff...)

Last edited:

Back