News   May 08, 2024
 577     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 480     0 

Good Realtors (to sell property)

zaindo

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am thinking this would be the right place to post this question - Say if i want to sell my condo unit and do not have a realtor by refferal or by experience - what would be the best way for me to go look for one that can do the job with greater success in interest of saving time from being wasted. Understanding the market condition as they are and all the rest of the bad stuff - what would be the best way for me to do my due diligence to pick up the realtor with greater success to sell units out there in the North York area ?

You should expect to interview two or three Realtors to find one you are comfortable working with and are confident with in terms of experience and ability. There is no single Realtor that is the "best" regardless what their advertising says. Most buyers work with their own Realtor and the ability to negotiate and present and back up a position will pay for itself in the sale price.

Typically Realtors are expected to prepare a listing presentation. Among the items covered should be a current value assessment for the unit, a history of recent sales/listings in the building and market analysis. The Realtor should offer a marketing plan and pricing strategy along with a communication plan for booking appointments and showings.

Pick the one that you feel most comfortable working with.

If it's a 2 bedroom on a low floor (1-3) in a building that takes dogs (40 lbs+) send me a note...

The older the realtor does not mean they are better per say, a young guy like me who just started out in the real estate industry has a lot to prove and is ambitious. I'd follow the advice of the poster above and interview 2-3 realtors and see which one you feel comfortable with. All the best.

Zaindo, please take the time to talk to a number of different realtors. Once you talk to a variety of agents, you'll get a feel for things you like or don't like about each one. Find out what they offer and skip over all the fluff they may tell you. Jaycola provided some specifics to ask about. Obviously, as a seller you need to discuss the commission structure as well.

As far as where to go look for real estate professionals; check actual listings, look around locally, look up that individual, see if they have a website, call their office and see how accessible that person is, it certainly helps if that agent specializes in that specific neighborhood. Do not settle because there are lots of realtors to choose from.

Try google a realtor who's specialized in your neighbourhood. Look through testimonials on his/her site that these realtors have on their websites. Check their two or three last transactions and don't be afraid to call the clients to ask about their experiences with that realtor. If you know about some homes that were recently sold in your neighbourhood, drop by and ask about their realtor and experiences they had during the process.

Try google a realtor who's specialized in your neighbourhood. Look through testimonials on his/her site that these realtors have on their websites. Check their two or three last transactions and don't be afraid to call the clients to ask about their experiences with that realtor. If you know about some homes that were recently sold in your neighbourhood, drop by and ask about their realtor and experiences they had during the process.

+1. Gr8 advice

Thank You everyone for the amazing suggestions. Some very good information for newbie like me. I will certainly be meeting up with a few realtors before choosing one.

thanks to every one who replied to the post, again !

By now you've probably already worked with a Realtor or are currently working with one. How was/is your experience?

I am thinking this would be the right place to post this question - Say if i want to sell my condo unit and do not have a realtor by refferal or by experience - what would be the best way for me to go look for one that can do the job with greater success in interest of saving time from being wasted. Understanding the market condition as they are and all the rest of the bad stuff - what would be the best way for me to do my due diligence to pick up the realtor with greater success to sell units out there in the North York area ?

Excellent advice!

For future reference:
84533719e78aca275da309c093241d5a.jpg

Attachments

• 84533719e78aca275da309c093241d5a.jpg
    84533719e78aca275da309c093241d5a.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 433
You should always interview a couple of real estate agents when you decide to move forward on buying or selling a property. It gives you chance to ask them key questions about how they work, their success rate, experience and most importantly, evaluate and establish a rapport with that individual. Buying and selling real estate isn't always a walk in the park, and building a strong working relationship with a good agent who's style compliments your expectations can alleviate some of the stress buyer and sellers experience when things aren't going as smoothly or as quickly as they would like.

Personally, I typically won't work with a client until i have met them face to face, even if its just a quick chat over coffee to get to know each other.

An interesting tidbit I wanted to throw out there regarding how people choose a realtor. Undoubtedly we've all heard of sellers talking about how realtors don't add any value when selling their home, particularly if their property is located in a sought-after neighborhood, and that they'd simply just use the realtor with the lowest commission rate. In theory it makes sense but in reality I've found that this is not always the case. I can say, using myself as an example, that I've forgone realtors/brokerages with really low or flat rate commission structures and instead used a better, more well-known realtor in the area at a full commission rate to sell a previous property. I was simply more comfortable and more confident with the latter and I don't regret my decision at all.

I'm not knocking FSBOs or discount brokerages by any means, simply pointing out that many people I talk to, while they're conscious of the commissions they'd pay out with selling their home, are still not just going after the lowest commission rate as the primary deciding factor.

Best Chance for Best Sale

I am thinking this would be the right place to post this question - Say if i want to sell my condo unit and do not have a realtor by refferal or by experience - what would be the best way for me to go look for one ?

Zaindo,
When you put your home up for sale, you have four very important decisions to make. Presumably, you want a timely sale, an above average selling price, and the fewest problems possible.

First, you must find an agent who has a proven strategy to get his/her clients above average results. They should have a detailed plan to prepare your home or condo for sale. They should have plan for marketing your property to the MLS, not just post your listing on the MLS.

They should be full time and prepared to market your home beyond a sign in the yard, a posting on the internet and waiting for something to happen.

Avoid agents who discount their listing commission or firms that offer flat fee, posting only services. Discount agents generally bring discount buyers. How can you expect to get the highest value for your house/condo when all you talk to is discount buyers?

Always select your agent based on their marketing strategies and make that decision before you discuss price, commissions, or staging.

Second, after choosing you agent, discuss and select the right listing price. The right agent will show you recent sales, well priced currently for sale, and expired listings and be prepared to show you why a specific price will get you a faster sale and higher amount. Do not choose an agent based on price.

Third, with you agent, discuss and select the right commission. Surprise! An above average commission almost always puts more money in your pocket. Do not chose an agent who discounts. They might save you $5,000 in commission but cost you $10,000 in your selling price.

Fourth, with your agent, discuss staging. A small investment in staging generally results in a 300% to 500% return.

Taking these four steps correctly will give you the best chance to get a faster than average sale, an above average selling price, and more money in you pocket at closing.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Back