News   May 06, 2024
 336     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 986     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.4K     1 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Since the recent discussion on the train shed, I've been Sketching Up some train sheds for Union Station. Tell me what you think about these... (and don't complain about only seeing Via trains in the renderings!)

The GO train shed (from page 3)

usta_go_aer.jpg

usta_go_pl1.jpg

usta_go_pl2.jpg

A shed inspired by Calatrava's Orient Station in Lisbon...

usta_ori_aer.jpg

usta_ori_pl1.jpg

usta_ori_pl2.jpg

A shed of my own design, which somewhat resembles the Saddledome, and also reminiscent of the great arched train sheds of Europe. It's big, but allows the Union Station headhouse to be viewed from the south (although that view will be blocked by the ACC and the high-rise developments on York Street).

usta_cur_aer.jpg

usta_cur_pl1.jpg

usta_cur_pl2.jpg

wylie, those are amazing. Great work on all three.

It's kind of sad that your sketch shows a reality that is not all that far-fetched, and yet just out of the grasp of the stiffs who run everything from GO transit to Transport Canada. It's not like you've rendered a fantastic world of maglev trains and billion dollar architecture; it's just a tasteful glass addition to the Bush shed and a fleet of Rennaisance carriages, and yet it looks so futuristic and progressive.

Umm...
Wyliepoon's first rendering is, indeed, what GO is proposing...
In case there's any misplaced resentment...

Union Station train shed improvements-interesting ideas!

Wylie: Interesting ideas on improving the GO train shed-I like the glass ones but the problems are that the glass would have to be designed to allow slots for diesel exhaust and if the sun shines directly on these windows it may make the shed area unbearably hot in the Summer but in the Winter it may be quite comfortable. An arched roof would be neat if exhaust gases can escape being trapped underneath. A new train shed would definitely be a plus for a gateway rail station like Toronto Union! LI MIKE

I pick your own proposal, 'poon. I'm guessing it would cost a bit more though, right?

There is major work being done here. I'm not exactly sure what I photographed but there is some serious construction going on at Union.

This room is underneath the first track south of the shed (there are 3 I believe). It is set up in the same way that GO have set up many their other passenger entry/exit points. On the right you can see where the stairs will lead up to track level (just above the ceiling) - not straight out (south) but rather to the east and west, in accordance with the tracks above. There was another one of these rooms just further west of here, beyond the background wall, but the two were not connected in any way - weird. The 'passage' on the left only extends out about six feet but runs the length of the room leading me to believe that these will also be stairs or elevators.

Looking West

2496564684_5b2523c9e9.jpg

The same room from the other side. In this shot, you are standing with your back against the first shot's background wall. You were standing in the doorway at the very end above. This helps illustrate some of the features described above.

2496558278_c64c9f6077.jpg

This shot will help you orient yourself. This is taken from the same position as the first shot but you are now turned 45 degrees to your right so you face south. Just beyond the door is the east side of Telus (you can see the yellow forms) and York St.

Facing south

2496559884_e9a70027f8.jpg

This is just a closeup of the Union tunnel taken from one of the renders on the hoarding. By the way, there is a tunnel but it is currently only about twenty-five feet wide - seemed a little claustrophobic. The worst thing was it was already concreted in (final?)...We'll have to wait and see. The good news is that a tunnel is being constructed.

2495732123_11bf2fbfa0.jpg

The first track south of the shed? That's Track 13 I believe. The Milton line used it briefly before moving to track 6, and then track 7. Unfortunately I don't recall what line will be using Track 13 this time around. Before it was temporary. I think this is supposed to be more permanent. Thanks for the photos!

EDIT: Found it!

New South Platform

Providing more capacity during construction and added flexibility for the future, the new platform will create much-needed elbow room.

When Union Station was constructed, 10 tracks had access to passenger and baggage platforms. A new platform to serve Tracks 12 and 13 was added, but there are three more tracks that cross the station area from east to west. There is adequate space between Tracks 13 and 14 to add a new platform.

The additional platform will provide more capacity for a variety of needs. Long-range plans tell us that this platform will be needed to handle the increasing number of trains using the station. And we can use the extra platform for train service if we have to stop using an existing track during construction work.

This new platform will be built before major work starts on the train shed roof.

Link: http://gotransit.com/unionstationrenewal/improvements/southplatform.htm

Union Station GO Train Shed Repairs

Does anyone know when will they going to start construction a train shed at union station. as far we know they have been circulating a difference design for the train shed but we don't know which one they have chosen.

Camera phone:
3040955529_e0ffd2b1a9_o.jpg

Is it technically feasible to redevelop the airspace above the Union train shed into some kind of super tower complex? In terms raw foot print, the area is similar to the area being proposed for the Hudson Yards project (albeit, more elongated). I mean, it just seems like such a waste of prime space.

Last edited:
Is it technically feasible to redevelop the airspace above the Union train shed into some kind of super tower complex? In terms raw foot print, the area is similar to the area being proposed for the Hudson Yards project (albeit, more elongated). I mean, it just seems like such a waste of prime space.

I don't care if it's feasible, building on top of the train shed would be a travesty. Union is the main gateway into the city, and it needs to be treated as such. For comparison, 43.3 million people passed through Union Station in 2004, while Pearson saw 30.9 million passengers in 2006, and the Gardiner (by my estimations) brings fewer than 23 million vehicles into downtown per year.

The Union trainshed needs to be replaced with something that provides an uplifting entrance into the city and fits the important role that Union plays.

Every other station in the world that built on top of their trainshed regrets it to this day (that I'm aware of). I'll take Gare de Lyon over Gare Montparnasse, Liverpool Street Station over Charing Cross Station, or old Pennsylvania Station over new Pennsylvania station.

However, building on top of the railway corridor on either side of Union is something I support fully.

Back