News   May 03, 2024
 734     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 476     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 242     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

As far as I know there isn't any difference with the road switchers "schedule" on weekends vs on weekdays, yeah different customers may be serviced at different days.

L533 runs on the Guelph Sub usually after 9pm
529 usually runs on the weston after 1 pm ish but there should be enough capacity on the weston for a hourly go train
549 runs to west toronto after 11pm usually

Hourly to Bramalea is certainly feasible. Between Peel and Brampton is a bit of a bottle neck with the 2 tracks...

There’s only one short bottleneck now at Brampton Station, but other parts of the CN Halton Sub are single tracked north and south of Milton. CN can cope.

^ Sorry, you're right. I was being too fast.

Here's the title of the column.

Toronto’s traffic is a mess. And it’s going to get worse unless the province does something​

OPINION: Downtown streets are so jammed that Go Transit has cancelled dozens of buses. The obvious answer? The last thing Ontario wants to consider

Written by John Michael McGrath
Sep 2, 2022

That’s the thing….. the public and political attraction to contracted and P3 relationships is the premise that you can hold someone to a contract - and, if they don’t perform, they don’t get paid or suffer penalties. Or you can just “fire” them and find someone else. That is far too simplistic a belief and it fundamentally doesn’t happen.

I don’t know how much information ML has access to about Alstom’s pool of train crews. I suspect the contract simply says Alstom will provide people with credentials, subject to some sort of audit process to verify that the workers have the required credentials and training. So if ML became dissatisfied with Alstom and terminated the relationship, it would have to find all those people and transition their employment to themselves or another contractor. In the interim, they would have no access to those workers, and all service would be affected.

ML Negotiator: “Item 27. We need a clause that sets a standard and lays out penalties for a situation where the contractor can’t provide all the crews we require.”
Alsom Negotiator: “ No need. That will never happen. Look, this relationship won’t ever work if you keep being so negative about everything that might hypothetically happen….”
ML Negotiator: “Oh, OK. Sorry. Item 28…….”

- Paul
Even when the government/Mx has the contract and the angels on their side, they are often reluctant to enforce it. It likely wouldn't happen with a company the size of Alstom, but no government wants to be in the media release that company X was forced into bankruptcy and Y employees now unemployed because of the government's actions. Some government contracts are so large or specialized that they - and the industry - know that some other company being able to quickly come in and pick up the pieces is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Even when the government/Mx has the contract and the angels on their side, they are often reluctant to enforce it. It likely wouldn't happen with a company the size of Alstom, but no government wants to be in the media release that company X was forced into bankruptcy and Y employee now unemployed because of the government's actions. Some government contracts are so large or specialized that they - and the industry - know that some other company being able to quickly come in and pick up the pieces is highly unlikely.
Both situations that really do make outsourcing not make much sense.

Apparently a westbound LW train had a breakdown half way between Union and Exhibition last night around 10:20 p.m. Lots of people stuck on that one for about 45 minutes. Those late evening train delays are the worst. Everyone is already tired and just wants to get home and then that happens.

Apparently a westbound LW train had a breakdown half way between Union and Exhibition last night around 10:20 p.m. Lots of people stuck on that one for about 45 minutes. Those late evening train delays are the worst. Everyone is already tired and just wants to get home and then that happens.

I'm sure many who have traveled have a story of an unfortunate breakdown at an inconvenient time.

Mine includes a trip from Linz to Prague that changed from 1 train to 3 trains, 3 buses, and a 9 hour delay with a language barrier and multiple points where we thought we had been abandoned.

I just found out that GO experimented with in-service deadheading trains back in 2019, so I made this Lakeshore West service map:
6B3EEF0F-4419-46F9-A43D-4DD9217328F1.jpeg

Can Metrolinx PLEASE stop using Port Credit as a quick and easy detour method. It doesn’t work at all and if anything it frustrates people even more for those that just wants to head downtown. Why not just go to Kipling or even Yorkdale as an efficient method and communicate with the TTC to allow riders on for free as they have clearly done that in the past.

Words cannot describe how dumb this sounds when you tell someone that they’re sending you back west to Port Credit only to put you on a train that comes every 30 mins and is already 80% crowded by the time it reaches the station after serving the passengers on its own line.

Back