News   Apr 25, 2024
 277     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 893     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 908     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The budget continues to say that by 2020 GO trips will increase 50% over 2014.

There is a caveat that improvements are 'subject to agreement with freight railroad partners'.

- Paul

In the Ontario 2016 budget, there's some information about service increases in the next fiscal year (April 2016 to March 2017). Nothing we haven't already heard, but essentially evening and weekend rail service to Brampton, weekend service to Brampton, and a handful more peak trains on some of the other lines:

View attachment 68129

Oh, and I missed this - extension of GO rail service to Niagara and Bowmanville (though no timeframe). And also new and improved GO bus connections to the GO rail network for communities such as Brantford and Cambridge.

Hopefully that's the extension of the current hourly service to Mount Pleasant into the evenings and weekends. Aurora, though. When Newmarket (with its new Viva service, and an interesting little downtown) is only one stop further... (gah!)

Now that you mention it, it is odd that they stop at Aurora - it's not much further to Newmarket (and East Gwillimbury). But that's what they've been talking about this whole time. I wonder what the constraint is. Though presumably there can be a good connecting bus service from Aurora.

Now that you mention it, it is odd that they stop at Aurora - it's not much further to Newmarket (and East Gwillimbury). But that's what they've been talking about this whole time. I wonder what the constraint is. Though presumably there can be a good connecting bus service from Aurora.

I've talked to GO/Metrolinx people, and the reason why RER is shown on maps as only going to Aurora is because they don't really want to build expanded infrastructure along the West Holland River. It is a more constricted corridor through Downtown Newmarket - and more level crossings to deal with - but I think it's worthwhile.

It's like not wanting to work through extending RER to a logical point in Brampton. Bramalea, in an industrial wasteland, is easy; they're too willing to be content with that.

It's like not wanting to work through extending RER to a logical point in Brampton. Bramalea, in an industrial wasteland, is easy; they're too willing to be content with that.

Are they content? Or is it because they don't have/can't get the rights from CN at this time to electrify to Mount Pleasant as was the original endpoint of the RER?

I've talked to GO/Metrolinx people, and the reason why RER is shown on maps as only going to Aurora is because they don't really want to build expanded infrastructure along the West Holland River. It is a more constricted corridor through Downtown Newmarket - and more level crossings to deal with - but I think it's worthwhile.

Should be Mount Pleasant in any case for RER. Thing is they'll claim between the new tracks and such it will be too expensive.

Hopefully that's the extension of the current hourly service to Mount Pleasant into the evenings and weekends. Aurora, though. When Newmarket (with its new Viva service, and an interesting little downtown) is only one stop further... (gah!)
And the beginnings of Brampton as a practical counter-peak commute with true AD2W service.
(i.e. Becomes tolerable to live downtown Toronto, work in Brampton.)

(Rheoretical question: Where's Hurontario-Main LRT when you now need it even more in this brand new era?)

The Lakeshore West seemed to be on an abnormal schedule this morning. I didn't see any service updates: did I miss a notice? Compare today's schedule with the one posted at http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/PDF/Timetables/01160416/Table1.pdf
And the Kitchener line seems to be missing the mid-day runs???
http://www.gotransit.com/timetables...x?tableid=31&dir=E&date=2016-02-26&parentid=1

What is going on today? Is it a holiday? Did I go to work for nothing?
Looking at a realtime map, I see the trains exist... I guess the online schedule is in error today.

And the beginnings of Brampton as a practical counter-peak commute with true AD2W service.
(i.e. Becomes tolerable to live downtown Toronto, work in Brampton.)

(Rheoretical question: Where's Hurontario-Main LRT when you now need it even more in this brand new era?)
in the context of your post....I don't understand your rhetorical question. If you are suggesting that if ReR to Brampton was extended further than is currently planned.....that Brampton would be a viable place to work while living in Toronto....why would an LRT taking people out of Brampton make a difference to that?

In much the same way that the Yonge-University subway expands the reach of GO passengers arriving in downtown Toronto, the Main LRT would expand the reach of GO passengers arriving in downtown Brampton.

in the context of your post....I don't understand your rhetorical question. If you are suggesting that if ReR to Brampton was extended further than is currently planned.....that Brampton would be a viable place to work while living in Toronto....why would an LRT taking people out of Brampton make a difference to that?
Read my post again. I said AD2W, not RER.

Right now, the Brampton hourly GO trains stop service too early for Toronto downtown dwellers (who live or study in/near Brampton). The extra trains is the expected continuance of hourly trains through Brampton.

There are other destinations along the northern reaches of Hurontario-Main, and quicker reach to Steeles. With Brampton's fast-growing transit ridership and the definitely increased GO service (TOAreaFan I do not care how you spin/RER/AD2W it, it's still increased GO train service) that I feel they were an ideal candidate to get LRT service.

(To be fair: Metrolinx's RER initiative includes both electric and diesels, and the AD2W is a subset of the broad-ranging RER umbrella if RER is a multilayered service term like the Paris/France definition rather than a type of train).

As a commuter (Toronto-Waterloo, Ottawa-Montreal, and now Hamilton-Toronto), Brampton isn't an attractive place to me for work if I were living in downtown Toronto. IT software developers often sometimes suddenly work late unexpectedly, and need predictable easy evening options that they do not dread. Hourly trains that run till nearly midnight (like LSE/LSW) helps fill that void. If Brampton wants to attract incoming commuters, they have done a good job increasing ridership with Züm, attracting all-day GO service, but is now missing the LRT fill-in between Steeles and the GO station. If my theoretical office tower was on the LRT route slightly south of Brampton, the existence of LRT would have increased the likelihood.

As a software developer, I once turned down a six-figure contract because there was no good transit (I really don't want a 1.5-hour-long driving commute behing a steering wheel -- If I am commuting that long I'd rather be fully productive during transit (work sleep catchup Facebook family email telecommute VPN etc) and it is quite important that destinations become transit-friendly. Although I have now homesteaded down permanently in Hamilton, I know many who make decisions whether or not to accept work based on whether it's transit-accessible.

Last edited:
When should these budget-announced service boosts come into effect? Last year it was right after Labour Day, wasn't it?

They noted that the changes will ocurr within the next fiscal cycle, which for ML runs April to March. So they have a year.

Practically, they time changes for "change of card" which is when the crews select their runs. Beginning or end of summer is my speculation. That's when connecting (bus) schedules usually change.

- Paul

Back