News   Apr 26, 2024
 428     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 348     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 546     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Yeah that statement was much ado about nothing but on the other hand there's not much they can do, they can't add more trains since the system is already at or near maximum capacity during rush hour.
No (maybe), but the fact that they think telling people to stay until after the rush hour is a good idea tells you they are only thinking their trains (and their customers) are on the lakeshore lines....otherwise you would be giving the reverse warning "reminder to people on non-lakeshore lines, the trains only run until "X" so don't dilly dally or you may end up on a bus"

Lakeshore West GO Train Service Reductions Due to Railway Tie Replacement

TORONTO: October 09, 2015– GO Transit is replacing rail ties on the Lakeshore West line so it can continue to provide reliable service to customers. This will require Lakeshore West GO Train service between Oakville and Aldershot to be reduced from every 30 minutes to hourly each night from 8:00 p.m. until the end of service October 13 – 22 and October 27 - 31.

From November 1 until December 15, with some exceptions*, the entire Lakeshore West GO Train service will operate on an hourly schedule each night from 8:00 p.m. until the end of service.

These service reductions are needed to allow us to replace railway track ties that are nearing the end of their lifespan so we can continue to provide safe, reliable service to our customers. The ties keep tracks stable and hold the rails in place to ensure they properly align with the wheels of the train.

Please note: GO Transit remains committed to providing extra trains throughout the Blue Jays playoff schedule.

Speaking of Lakeshore service, I wrote a new GO article (#2) about stopping the Niagara seasonal GO trains in Hamilton.

16 trains are passing by a big brand new city station (Hamilton) this thanksgiving weekend. And every earlier summer weekend too. 8 to Toronto, 8 to Niagara. Without stopping at the new 50 million dollar station.

www.raisethehammer.org/article/2720

It is written towards educating local residents (who do not know the existence of this train) and stakeholders. It is simplified for educating locals how complex a 100 meter track extension can be!

Hamilton's mayor, Fred Eiseberger, actually emailed me to thank me for this article!

Last edited:
Posts regarding the new stations being considered by Metrolinx in conjunction with GO Transit RER conversion have been moved to a new thread here.

What is the lifespan of the railway ties?

Depends on the material they are made from, where they are being used and whether they are new or used. The generally accepted lifespan of the average mainline wooden track tie is about 25 years, although they won't replace them if they are fine - so there are some ties in use that are well over that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

rejhon_go2_west_harbour_go_station_after_sunset.jpg
I don't understand why they thought a handful of twee little ornamental garden boxes randomly scattered around were appropriate in such an enormous gray space.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they thought a handful of twee little ornamental garden boxes randomly scattered around were appropriate in such an enormous gray space.
That said, It's not final appearance yet. It's still under construction till 2017.

Also, compared among all the GO stations in the entire GO network, it's one of the more beautiful GO stations, relatively speaking.

As far as I know, more permanent landscaping and extended plaza is being built where the temporary PanAm asphalt was.

Also, the planned artswork piece is going to take over plaza space.

http://urbanicity.ca/2015/09/west-harbour-public-art-competition/

There are six of them. I voted for this one, because my neighborhood kids would love slaloming around this sculpture. The other sculptures won't attract as much pedestrian (family) traffiic, which is great advertising for the existence of the GO service itself.

This is the one I voted for:

PreferredArt.jpg

Credit: Urbanicity, supplied to them by Metrolinx/City

This is the one of six I voted for, since the above sculpture the most kid-attractive and would attract families to walk past West Harbour GO, giving it more foot traffic that the plaza deserves.

The voting ended October 9th. My #2 choice went to the "It's About Time" ironworks sculpture. It has multiple ground anchor points, providing slaloming opportunities (kids, etc).

The final plaza appearance isn't until 2017.

Attachments

• PreferredArt.jpg
    PreferredArt.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:
I noticed two or three of the new GO cab cars sitting at Willowbrook this evening. Sadly due to a mixup with my phone I lost the pictures I took, but they looked great. Hope we get to see them in service soon...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-10-13 at 2.33.51 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-13 at 2.33.51 AM.png
    328.7 KB · Views: 706
  • Screen shot 2015-10-13 at 2.34.00 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-13 at 2.34.00 AM.png
    259.9 KB · Views: 707

Back