News   May 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 939     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 7.7K     9 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

If Milton went to all-day service then I wouldn't care so much about getting a subway to Square One.

If Milton went to all-day service then I wouldn't care so much about getting a subway to Square One.

At the rate progress is being made, you will be able to stop caring in about 3-5 years.

Doesn't it feel good to have that stress off your shoulders? :D

At the rate progress is being made, you will be able to stop caring in about 3-5 years.

Doesn't it feel good to have that stress off your shoulders? :D

Is that a joke? Because service on Milton hasn't increased since I was taking the train in to Toronto for school and that was back in 2001/2. So the current rate of progress would be 0.

And yes I'm referring only to the trains, because the trains are what I'm talking about.

I'm well aware of the EA and happy about it, but what good is an EA without the money to do it and the willpower to force CP to allow it? Not to mention that EAs take forever and then the years of construction for additional tracks? I don't count on all-day service along the Milton line for a long time to come.

Or like Lakeshore East, where we had the EA, built the track, but still don't have any sign of the service increases that were promised during the EA.

The whole point of the EA is to build the extra tracks so that CP won't have any more objections to increased service.

As for the Lakeshore East section, the new track just went into service a few weeks ago. I think a bit of patience is appropriate.

As for the cash, that's what the investment strategy due out in a month is for.

The whole point of the EA is to build the extra tracks so that CP won't have any more objections to increased service.

As for the Lakeshore East section, the new track just went into service a few weeks ago. I think a bit of patience is appropriate.

As for the cash, that's what the investment strategy due out in a month is for.

We know what the point of the EA is thanks. But the EA is just the very first step. There has to be a total change in the mindset of our politicians for us to get all-day both-way service on all GO rail lines. Not to mention dealing with all the NIMBYs who might live along those lines and who'll be horrified at the prospect of trains running every 15 minutes to half hour every day all day.

And if we expect 15-30 minute off-peak service, we need to buy something a little smaller than the bilevels we're using now. Massive 12-car bilevel trains are NOT going to be running down the Milton line all-day every-day. There's just NO way. The thought is ridiculous. We need to electrify the GO lines and buy new trains. We're many, many, many years away from that.

So sure, if you want to consider an EA progress, fine. It's the first step toward progress in my mind. But it's not actually DOING anything. It's just planning. And God knows we've had enough plans. GO-ALRT anyone?

If they add more track, then the trains can operate more frequently. It was a simple matter for them to add more cars to the trains, and it will be simple for them to take cars away.

And also, if I am not mistaken, two more trips in each direction have been added to Milton line since 2001/2002, so it is not accurate to say the service hasn't increased.

We know what the point of the EA is thanks. But the EA is just the very first step. There has to be a total change in the mindset of our politicians for us to get all-day both-way service on all GO rail lines. Not to mention dealing with all the NIMBYs who might live along those lines and who'll be horrified at the prospect of trains running every 15 minutes to half hour every day all day.

I believe that we are seeing that change in the politicians at both the municipal and the provincial level. The fact that there is even a Metrolinx is proof that the province cares. Move Ontario 2020 is further proof. As for fighting the NIMBY crowd, the city of Toronto's actions against the St. Clair group shows that there is political will at the municipal level. It will always remain a challenge, but its part of the game.

And if we expect 15-30 minute off-peak service, we need to buy something a little smaller than the bilevels we're using now. Massive 12-car bilevel trains are NOT going to be running down the Milton line all-day every-day. There's just NO way. The thought is ridiculous. We need to electrify the GO lines and buy new trains. We're many, many, many years away from that.

While that would be the ideal situation, it is not a prerequisite for running 30 minute service or better. For the sake of argument, we could run six coach trains of the existing stock in the interim, the replace the locomotive with a few bilevel DMU coaches spread out across the train. Colorado Railcar makes them, or we could get Bombardier to stick an engine inside a bilevel cab car. Not every coach has to be powered, and it doesn't have to be electric from day one.

I'd be more optimistic if all mentions of service increases any time soon didn't seem to have vanished from both GO, and our politicians, in the last year or two. And a shame - I saw standing room only 10-car trains over the weekend.

I'd be more optimistic if all mentions of service increases any time soon didn't seem to have vanished from both GO, and our politicians, in the last year or two. And a shame - I saw standing room only 10-car trains over the weekend.

Ah....but you did see trains on the weekend!!! There are a lot of GO lines that can't say that....the patience has to be across the system and people have to realize that their line may not get the "next dollar" because there are more pressing needs elsewhere.

Frankly, I get a bit peeved when I read about Lakeshore communters demanding more service now!

If they add more track, then the trains can operate more frequently. It was a simple matter for them to add more cars to the trains, and it will be simple for them to take cars away.

And also, if I am not mistaken, two more trips in each direction have been added to Milton line since 2001/2002, so it is not accurate to say the service hasn't increased.

As long as I've been taking GO, there've been no train trips added. I started taking the GO train shortly after they added the 6th train I believe. I lived downtown for first year, which was 01/02, so I guess I started taking GO in 02/03 or so. So it's been at least 6 or 7 years since they added any service on the Milton line.

I'm well aware of the EA and happy about it, but what good is an EA without the money to do it and the willpower to force CP to allow it? Not to mention that EAs take forever and then the years of construction for additional tracks? I don't count on all-day service along the Milton line for a long time to come.

Did you read the article about EA's only taking months rather than years now?

Did you read the article about EA's only taking months rather than years now?

When was the 3rd track between Port Credit and Kerr St to be finish as stated during the EA study? The EA was approved when?

To date, there is a bridge over the Port Credit River, 16 Mile Creek and Southdown Rd. There is no bridge over Mississauga Rd or the creek in Oakville as well a number of other spots. There is no retraining wall built along the north side to support the new track let along earth work.

On Aug 25 work is supposed to start rebuilding Clarkson Station. Oakville station work will not start until Feb 2009 or until the new VIA station is finishing being built. New track work can be in place for the 16 mile bridge and part of Oakville station this fall.

At the rate this expansion is going, 2010 will be the completion time and about 2 years late.

Given this pace, 2015 is a date the Milton line will see 3 tracks 100% at the earliest.

Back