News   May 24, 2024
 128     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 57     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 291     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Bring your cameras and chair to Front St next to the Lakeshore line starting at 10:30 pm Sat night to watch crew move the erected on site 400+ ton new track 1 bridge into position over the Port Credit River in Mississauga.

Crews were setting up the hoisting system on both sides of the river as well under the ends of the bridge.

The move is to start around 1am Sat night and to be completed by 5am. CN will bring the flatcars in early that night that will be use to move the bridge from where it is to the current bridge.

There are 2 500ton cranes in positions also.

Since the last westbound train has to pass this area on the last run of the night around 1:08am, does GO plan to terminate the train at Port Credit and bus riders to the other station to the west? Or does GO train carry on to the west and layover at Aldershot?

Not an every day event and in all my years in construction, this will be something to be seen.

Southdown Bridge:
CN will be erecting the new track 1 bridge over Southdown Rd 8pm Sat Aug 23rd. Southdown will be close to all traffic Sat to Sunday. I expect MT will stop all buses going north of the bridge and setup a stop in the north parking lot.

Oakville:
More area has been clear for the new track 1 at the west end of Oakville Station. I expect to see trains using the new track 1 over the new 16 Mile Creek bridge this fall.

Grade Crossing elimination on the Lakeshore Line....

Everyone: I am thinking of the Lakeshore Line-and I would like to know how many grade crossings are left today.

I remember grade crossings being eliminated near Oakville back in the 80s and I remember that a short stretch of detour tracks curved around the site while a bridge was being constructed over a roadway on the regular right of way. For a busy line like the Lakeshore Line eliminating grade crossings is the right idea-especially for increased train service and to help alleviate road congestion.

How many grade crossings are left on the Lakeshore West and East lines today and if so are there any plans to eliminate them or perhaps install safety gates that practically eliminate track intrusion for those that remain?

LI MIKE

Everyone: I am thinking of the Lakeshore Line-and I would like to know how many grade crossings are left today.

I remember grade crossings being eliminated near Oakville back in the 80s and I remember that a short stretch of detour tracks curved around the site while a bridge was being constructed over a roadway on the regular right of way. For a busy line like the Lakeshore Line eliminating grade crossings is the right idea-especially for increased train service and to help alleviate road congestion.

How many grade crossings are left on the Lakeshore West and East lines today and if so are there any plans to eliminate them or perhaps install safety gates that practically eliminate track intrusion for those that remain?

LI MIKE

9 in the west

Kerr St will become an overpass within the next few years as there is an EA out on it now. CN was supposed to have an EA out a few years ago for a underpass at King Rd and heard nothing more on it.

The crossing in Mississauga do not require grade separation as they server a very low density area in the first place and most are local streets. To do it will require tearing down exist homes as well closing off side streets that connect near the crossing.

Applby requires a grade separation.

City Council turn down CN request to close a road in Malton this week and I agree with them. It cuts the community in haft as well there is no room to put in a under/overpass in the first place.

At Grade Crossings

I can only think of one in the east end of Toronto (on the Lakeshore line).

Morningside Avenue. There was a grade seperation planned there years ago; but it got put off, and I don't think its in the budget anymore.

I can't think of any others in the east end. The GO owned tracks east of Pickering were built with universal grade separation.

City Council turn down CN request to close a road in Malton this week and I agree with them. It cuts the community in haft as well there is no room to put in a under/overpass in the first place.

Where in Malton is that (northeast of Airport and Derry?).....will that negatively effect the growth in service on the Georgetown line? If so then I have to disagree....it is fairly small area of housing (ie. a smallish "community") and while it would not be nice for them to be "cut in half" the number of people affected would be very small relative to the massive benefits to so many by expanding this line.

The Scarboro Street crossing. Road access might not be absolutely necessary, but I can see how it could sever the community. I really don't get the fear of level rail crossings, unless the track is rated above 100 MPH, which I doubt for the Weston Sub. There's also level crossings at John/James in Brampton (which has been reduced to allow only pedestrians and one-direction of traffic to allow double-tracking), Woodbine Racetrack/Carlingview, the 3 in Weston, and Denison. I hope that Strachan is grade-separated, given that CN Weston and CN Newmarket and CP/GO Galt cross here.

I love how random dudes waiting for their SOs are treated like an expert panel in this article.

GO eyes 3-level parking

Markham
Jul 24, 2008 07:51 PM
Structure could hold more than 500 cars at Centennial Station
By: Joe Fantauzzi

Honestly, I don't care what they do, they have to do something about that station. To me, it's quite useless. I can't get to it efficiently by bus because I'd have to rely on the McCowan TTC bus to take me there since there are no parking spots available. Either put more useful bus routes that take the actual residents of Markham to this GO station, or put a parking facility up.

Lakeshore East GO Level Crossings

• Scarborough Golf Club Road,
  • Galloway Road
  • Poplar Road
  • Morningside Ave
  • Manse Road
  • Beechgrove Drive
  • Chesterton Shores (at Lawrence East/Rouge Hill GO)
  • Rodd Ave., Pickering

All of these are not major arterials and some connect to small residential and industrial areas close to the Lake.

Looking at the Scarboro Street crossing I wonder if push came to shove (like wanting to put in a fourth track from where it currently merges at Derry Rd), a diagonal bridge could be constructed from the end of Beverley St west of the existing crossing to Hull St/Princess St. where there is more land to construct it, at least on the north side.

However, the Scarboro St deletion is hardly onerous in my view - the worst case diversion is 900m from Scarboro and York via Airport Rd to Scarboro and Hull. The two sides seem to be mostly housing and except for a large building at the end of Beverley I'm wondering how much inter-estate traffic there is which isn't short-cut running from/to Airport Road.

Bring your cameras and chair to Front St next to the Lakeshore line starting at 10:30 pm Sat night to watch crew move the erected on site 400+ ton new track 1 bridge into position over the Port Credit River in Mississauga.

Crews were setting up the hoisting system on both sides of the river as well under the ends of the bridge.

The move is to start around 1am Sat night and to be completed by 5am. CN will bring the flatcars in early that night that will be use to move the bridge from where it is to the current bridge.

There are 2 500ton cranes in positions also.

Since the last westbound train has to pass this area on the last run of the night around 1:08am, does GO plan to terminate the train at Port Credit and bus riders to the other station to the west? Or does GO train carry on to the west and layover at Aldershot?

Not an every day event and in all my years in construction, this will be something to be seen.

Southdown Bridge:
CN will be erecting the new track 1 bridge over Southdown Rd 8pm Sat Aug 23rd. Southdown will be close to all traffic Sat to Sunday. I expect MT will stop all buses going north of the bridge and setup a stop in the north parking lot.

Oakville:
More area has been clear for the new track 1 at the west end of Oakville Station. I expect to see trains using the new track 1 over the new 16 Mile Creek bridge this fall.
Wow that's gonna be awesome. I'd love to see some photos. I'm a bit late seeing this as it's 11:30 now and it's probably done now.

This has probably been said a couple of times, but having dedicated commuter rail lines should be mandated for all appropriate areas. I'm glad that GO is working on the projects in Milton, Oakville and elsewhere.

Now we just need to electrify that shit!

Wow that's gonna be awesome. I'd love to see some photos. I'm a bit late seeing this as it's 11:30 now and it's probably done now.

You still had time to come down.

It took 5 minutes at 2:30am to roll the bridge onto the 2 flats cars on each of the 2 tracks for a total of 4 cars.

Took about 7 minutes to move the bridge onto the existing bridge by Rail mobil.

Took a hour at 3:30am to off load the bridge. Bridge was hung in mid air by 7 am. Left at 9 am and have no idea if it has been lower into position at this time.

It was hanging about 15' about the track and could still be there. To get a good shot, go to the park north-west corner. If the bridge is down, walk up the road on the north side to get a shot with it in position.

Back