1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 949     1 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Siemens lands contract for Toronto-area passenger infrastructure maintenance​

Agreement with Metrolinx covers passenger network’s Central Region

TORONTO — Siemens Mobility has been awarded a contract by Ontario transportation agency Metrolinx to handle track, signal, and right-of-way maintenance for the Central Region of Toronto’s passenger rail infrastructure system, Siemens has announced. Siemens already has a similar contract in the West Region and handles signal and communications services at the Metrolinx Network Operations.

Duration and value of the contract was not announced.

“With this announcement, we are excited to strengthen our partnership with Metrolinx, keeping their system running safely, efficiently and sustainably, and providing passengers with reliable and available service 365 days a year,” Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, CEO of Siemens Mobility in Canada, said in a press release. “Our teams combine experience and expertise in both the real and digital worlds, to assist railways in meeting the needs of today and shaping tomorrow.”

Siemens and Metrolinx will collaborate to mobilize resources, including vehicles and large equipment, in preparation for the start of services in summer 2024.
Siemens’ involvement in Canadian transit includes infrastructure maintenance in Quebec and Ontario; light rail vehicles for Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta; and electrification and system maintenance for the light rail network in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ont. The company has also built new trainsets for VIA Rail Canada, is building equipment for Ontario Northland scheduled for delivery in 2026, and is working on locomotives for Montreal-area commuter operator Exo.

Siemens lands contract for Toronto-area passenger infrastructure maintenance​

Agreement with Metrolinx covers passenger network’s Central Region

TORONTO — Siemens Mobility has been awarded a contract by Ontario transportation agency Metrolinx to handle track, signal, and right-of-way maintenance for the Central Region of Toronto’s passenger rail infrastructure system, Siemens has announced. Siemens already has a similar contract in the West Region and handles signal and communications services at the Metrolinx Network Operations.

Duration and value of the contract was not announced.

“With this announcement, we are excited to strengthen our partnership with Metrolinx, keeping their system running safely, efficiently and sustainably, and providing passengers with reliable and available service 365 days a year,” Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, CEO of Siemens Mobility in Canada, said in a press release. “Our teams combine experience and expertise in both the real and digital worlds, to assist railways in meeting the needs of today and shaping tomorrow.”

Siemens and Metrolinx will collaborate to mobilize resources, including vehicles and large equipment, in preparation for the start of services in summer 2024.
Siemens’ involvement in Canadian transit includes infrastructure maintenance in Quebec and Ontario; light rail vehicles for Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta; and electrification and system maintenance for the light rail network in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ont. The company has also built new trainsets for VIA Rail Canada, is building equipment for Ontario Northland scheduled for delivery in 2026, and is working on locomotives for Montreal-area commuter operator Exo.
So theres this for the "central region" and then theres this for the "west region of toronto" https://www.railway-technology.com/news/siemens-mobility-service-contract-metrolinx/?cf-view

what are theese for? Onxpress is taking over most railway corridors including maintenance. So what is this contract for?

About the old cabs with CEM, Sunrail has CEM in their old style coaches. I don't think they have it for their cabs. Any opinion on the old cabs having CEM?

I know talks about the refurbished cab cars are getting old and stale but just wanted to share what I saw.

204, 212, 207, 208, and 211 all in line at the west end of Willowbrook.

206, 203, 214, and 209 in line at the north end of Willowbrook.

And 201 sitting isolated with a cut of cars behind it (one of them was a 25xx CSA car)
View attachment 549578View attachment 549579View attachment 549580
Where's 200? And in one of the pictures I found on the web, on 206's rebuild, I noticed the K5LA missing. In newer pictures, it looks like a K5CA-LS on the roof. 206 rebuild.jpg

Last edited:
Where's 200? And in one of the pictures I found on the web, on 206's rebuild, I noticed the K5LA missing. In newer pictures, it looks like a K5CA-LS on the roof.View attachment 553600
Obviously stuff like that is going to be missing literally in the middle of the rebuild process, they’ll just add stuff like that back on at the end so it isn’t damaged while they work on the coach

About the old cabs with CEM, Sunrail has CEM in their old style coaches. I don't think they have it for their cabs. Any opinion on the old cabs having CEM?
AFAIK GO Transit has partial CEM features on cab cars 255-257 which were built in 2012/2013, retrofitting these on the old cab cars 200-214 would likely be unfeasible, however.

AFAIK GO Transit has partial CEM features on cab cars 255-257 which were built in 2012/2013, retrofitting these on the old cab cars 200-214 would likely be unfeasible, however.
The last 3 cab cars were built to the same standard and design as all of the others before.

They don't have "partial CEM features" - such a thing does not exist.

Dan

Back