News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

I seem to recall there being a Niagara EA that roughed out a yard concept.
The 2010 EA had a few storage tracks facing east and then a phase 2 yard facing west including a PM bay. But it wasn’t clear whether this was in addition to Lewis Road or only if it didn’t get built (and a facility at St Catharines was also kept in scope)

I know talks about the refurbished cab cars are getting old and stale but just wanted to share what I saw.

204, 212, 207, 208, and 211 all in line at the west end of Willowbrook.

206, 203, 214, and 209 in line at the north end of Willowbrook.

And 201 sitting isolated with a cut of cars behind it (one of them was a 25xx CSA car)
IMG_8512.jpeg
IMG_8516.jpeg
IMG_8522.jpeg

is there any information on them leading?
I could see them starting to be used when the April service changes are implemented. I already saw some of them seemingly having their interior lights being tested, and 211 having it's numberboards illuminated.

I predict they might be used the same way the current classic style cab cars are being used, midset on weekday trains to allow them to split up into 6 car trains on weekends.

The simple math is - imagine Lewis pumping trains out in the morning - how many trains does it need to launch before the first train from Toronto arrives (wherever the end of line may be) to turn back the other way?
Alternatively, consider when the last train of the evening is likely to depart NF for Toronto? How many runs ex Toronto will arrive after that last turnback?
I can certainly imagine St Catherines launchin a couple runs to Toronto every morning, but until someone solves the Seaway issue, I can't imagine NF originating more than a couple runs inbound.
This is the first that I realised that signalling is also contemplated.... getting rid of the short stretch of dark territory into the Falls is a very timely investment.

- Paul
When VIA ran to Niagara they had 6?(Including the maple leaf) To Niagara. So I'm sure they could do the same now.

Will they be assigned to specific trains, as the current ones on the Kitchener line were, or will they run on an as-needed basis?

Welcome news in some respects. It clearly took some time to accomplish that work and yet MTO and Metrolinx’ secrecy culture demanded that people rage about this with no indication of action. I do also wonder whether Metrolinx was obliged to self fund this or whether, as should be the case, MTO made an additional budget allocation to fund the refit. Given Metrolinx will be maintaining and operating these railcars with a substantial non-revenue space in them, it’s a bit much for them to eat the cost of making them that way.

Back