News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 545     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Posted today.

Screenshot_2024-01-30_140948.jpg

Guelph Central Station
Looks like the platform is all but complete. In the first photo the track for the 2nd platform is tied into the mainline
QDbsjrgBTAScEmTUVMQYtQ.jpg

ipXV7q66Rb+cradGIDI9Zw.jpg

ETJ12B2bTt6PUpoZqH2ALA.jpg

CBhPeK3fR9WJxZQOV7gWuA.jpg

l4W2%YpjTyOJmwdYtH8wig.jpg

I hope someone captured some drone shots of the Guelph station before construction began. That way we can get a proper, "before & after" comparison.

That reminds me, I was at Guelph Central two nights ago, and they put this gate in at the east end of the existing platform, which I found curious. It wasn't locked. Any insights?

View attachment 537826
They've shifted the stopping position of the trains west along the north platform. The gate will be accompanied by signage indicating as much.

Dan

Does anyone have a sense of how the West Harbour eastern exit track project in Hamilton is progressing? Hopefully the overall mild winter to date has helped keep things on the intended timeline, if not ahead.

That reminds me, I was at Guelph Central two nights ago, and they put this gate in at the east end of the existing platform, which I found curious. It wasn't locked. Any insights?

View attachment 537826
The stopping position was moved west to enable operators to see the new signals at the Conti control point visible in the image.

View attachment 537826
They’re going to shift the platform westward as other posters have mentioned.

Which is great news as platforms will go past Wyndham Street. Enabling the underpass and staircases to actually be used. Since completion 10 years ago those stairs have remained closed. You can see the stairs on the last image.

Which is great news as platforms will go past Wyndham Street. Enabling the underpass and staircases to actually be used. Since completion 10 years ago those stairs have remained closed. You can see the stairs on the last image.
The north platform was extended across the bridge in the 2011 renovation, so the north side stairs have always connected directly to the platform regardless of it being relocated.

Aerial view from 2013:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

I walked across Wyndham bridge several times over the years and the north stairs were open then but can't recall when they closed it. Both south stairs were blocked off even with the platform in place then. On one of my last few trips to the station, did some shooting from the bridge platform.

It will mean a longer walking distance to/from the bus terminal to/from where a rider catches the car, they want to be in.

Moving the platform was my first impression when I saw the posting and left to others who are there more than me to reply to the question to make sure my impression was correct.

Does anyone have a sense of how the West Harbour eastern exit track project in Hamilton is progressing? Hopefully the overall mild winter to date has helped keep things on the intended timeline, if not ahead.
If I'm around the area, I can take a look and perhaps some pictures, but I don't know too much just from looking as I'm not an expert.

This thread from Twitter is dated December 30th, 2023. Signalling work is advancing well, and the space for the new track is coming along. Since then, I am not sure how much work has occurred. I assume next steps are sub-base construction like gravel where the future track will go, and track laying itself (or maybe panel track delivery to the site). Probably lots of signalling work to do still.

This thread from Twitter is dated December 30th, 2023. Signalling work is advancing well, and the space for the new track is coming along. Since then, I am not sure how much work has occurred. I assume next steps are sub-base construction like gravel where the future track will go, and track laying itself (or maybe panel track delivery to the site). Probably lots of signalling work to do still.
It will require work for the switches at 2 separate locations unless the plan to have the north track as a through with the south being a stub which I don't seeing that happening.

Back