News   May 24, 2024
 7.1K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 449     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Is that from the 2016-2017 Business Plan on the agenda for the upcoming Board meeting? I read it briefly and didn't have time to post anything here yet so glad to see it.

Holy Capital Spending Batman! -- the LRT "Rapid Transit" boom and the beginnings of RER infrastructure (Davenport, etc) begins this fiscal year.

View attachment 85563

Here for comparison and a chuckle is a photo taken today of construction on the Norwegian State Railways, which is upgrading and double tracking the rail link between Trondheim and its airport at Vaernes. I watched crews installing special work for the new junction today.

Any comparison to where Metrolinx is planning its next line is purely coincidental.

- Paul
Currently in Norway

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 982
''Construction commenced on the Downsview Park GO station in July 2016. This work is in collaboration with the TTC’s Toronto-York Spadina Extension (TYSSE) project and is expected to be complete by the end of 2017, in time for the opening of the subway extension.''

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...60909_BoardMtg_Capital_Projects_Report_EN.pdf

How come they can build a complex interchange station (the first, really) in 18 months, but rebuilding a station building at Burlington takes four years, or adding a new (simple in line) station like Confederation in Stoney Creek takes four years from confirmed announcement (June 2015) to opening, 2019? Well, the planning work for Downsview was done long ago...and Confederation was no more than a concept at the announcement, so that is one reason...

See. They can do it when they get their ducks in a row.

How come they can build a complex interchange station (the first, really) in 18 months, but rebuilding a station building at Burlington takes four years, or adding a new (simple in line) station like Confederation in Stoney Creek takes four years from confirmed announcement (June 2015) to opening, 2019? Well, the planning work for Downsview was done long ago...and Confederation was no more than a concept at the announcement, so that is one reason...

See. They can do it when they get their ducks in a row.

They just started, give it time to get delayed - I am sure Burlington wasn't supposed to take this long either - and none can beat the grand-daddy of all delays that is the Union Station redo.

AoD

and none can beat the grand-daddy of all delays that is the Union Station redo.

AoD

That is not fair. Many of us have done a home reno. Those who have know that until you strip the walls back to the studs that the magnitude of the issues is not clear. Union Station is a large, old and complex structure. We all (or mostly) know here that it's simpler (and mostly cheaper) to bulldoze something and re-build than it is to do a complex renovation. Were they painting the walls, I would support your contention. Digging out an entire new basement while continuing normal operations is quite a feat.

That being said, by the time the station is done, it will be 10 years as I recall that something started in 2007 and the train shed will take longer than that with the overhead refit

That is not fair. Many of us have done a home reno. Those who have know that until you strip the walls back to the studs that the magnitude of the issues is not clear. Union Station is a large, old and complex structure. We all (or mostly) know here that it's simpler (and mostly cheaper) to bulldoze something and re-build than it is to do a complex renovation. Were they painting the walls, I would support your contention. Digging out an entire new basement while continuing normal operations is quite a feat.

That being said, by the time the station is done, it will be 10 years as I recall that something started in 2007 and the train shed will take longer than that with the overhead refit

Repairing the shed did not require that - and they are still at it because why, exactly? We aren't necessarily just talking about the dig down here.

AoD

In fairness, the work at the track level is quite a bit more complex than just repairing the train shed as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back