News   May 06, 2024
 549     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 707     1 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

I like the video where the one cop shoots the other jack off stealthy acting cop in the back of the head with a rubber bullet.

I wish the protestors had rubber bullets and batons to give back what those idiots did.

Setting aside the presence of the Black Blockheads, who muddy the waters somewhat, this whole thing reminds me more of the 1981 steam bath raids than of any other large scale police shenanigans we've seen in our town in many years. I think it's far too early to tell how this thing will play itself out, just as we had no idea when we took to the streets in anger how those raids would give the gay community a strong sense of purpose.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=455347&id=681970186&l=83cd8e10af

This is a link to a Facebook page, which has images of the guy who trashed the cop car, whom many people suspect of being a cop himself. The person seems quite identifiable. If the police wanted to catch him, surely they could.

37407_10150215689050187_681970186_13398832_5862765_s.jpg

34586_10150215689135187_681970186_13398834_4703146_s.jpg

I find it interesting that the You tube video from which these frames were taken was posted on Sunday and yet as of this evening the police have not released a copy of this on their website requesting assistance from the public in identifying this man! If this guy is not one of their own you would think the cops would be anxious to I.D. this guy but apparently they are not. It will be interesting to see if a copy of this ever makes its way to their website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-5jeaIh4YE

Last edited:
A little levity in the middle of all this bedlam. A crazed consumer looses his marbles when he can't shop at the Eaton Centre during it's lock-down on Saturday. Catch it before it gets taken down, it's been pulled once already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXIE2uOdnkQ

His T-shirt says "Courage to Resist" and has a peace sign on it (couldn't make out the rest)... Is he taking a break from protesting? :D

Having read through pages and pages of arguments and counter-arguments here, I think that the need for a transparent and impartial inquiry is clearly shown. The truth is, none of us really KNOW what happened during these various confrontations. Certainly some people will claim police brutality, or claim that they were only innocent bystanders when they were not. But the sheer number of complaints and the anecdotal video and photo evidence that seems to back them up does raise some serious questions about police behaviour which have not been answered in any satisfactory way. The evasion of the police to pointed questions, and their own seeming confusion about their actions during and after the events are very worrying. In particular, the extremely large percentage of people who were released without charges after many hours of detainment is troublesome. I've seen no hard statistics, but from what I've read it seems that the vast majority were detained without just cause or any proof of wrongdoing that was strong enough to hold up in court. And if this is the case, why were they detained? Even when the police try to justify things, such as by displaying yesterday's lame outlay of weapons (including several they already admitted were not G20 related, and dozens of gas masks which are not weapons and were in fact handed out to journalists by various news organizations) has only served to weaken their own position.

I don't think most sane people are asking for all police to be demonized or blamed for everything; we are asking for an honest transparent investigation and for some straight answers. The police had a tough job to do, but they were well-equipped, well-trained, and well-compensated for their work, and they are not above the law themselves. And, as unfair as it may be, the police are held to a much higher level of accountability than criminals. Because some people were acting as hooligans does not mean that the rights of hundreds of other people in this city can suddenly be voided.

Additionally, anyone bringing the political views of the individuals arrested into the conversation is missing the point of the anger. I personally do not share the political opinions of the vast majority of the protesters I saw on the weekend-- I am not anti-capitalist, anti-G20, anti-Obama, anti-prison, pro-marijauana, etc. However, I understand that as Canadians we have a right to take these stances and make our opinions known. I feel no need to protest at the moment because everything in my life is pretty swell; but that might change in 10, 20, or 40 years, and one day if I have a reason to support a personal cause I want to know that my right to fight for it legally is still intact.

I've only been peripherally reading these posts on this thread, but this is by far the best post I've read and the closest to my own personal opinion.

Whether you agree with what the protesters have to say, everyone has the right to assemble and have their voice heard - if it disrupts your shopping at the Eaton Centre or your streetcar route, too stinking bad. The right to protest is bigger and more urgent than any individual human need because protest is at the root of lasting social change. If it weren't for people protesting in the streets, we wouldn't have gay rights, women's rights or even black people allowed at the front of the bus. Hell, if you go back to the early labour movements in Victorian England, without striking factory workers, we wouldn't even have a middle class or weekends off.

When you think about it, we tell our children every Remembrance Day that soldiers died defending our freedom and way of life. They did, but ask yourself what brought about those freedoms and that way of life that was so worth defending? We don't have a day where we honour the spirit of political protest and yet that is the real incubator of change.

Unless you're the direct descendant of a European aristocrat, all the rights and freedoms and all the material trappings that underpin your daily life are the result of somebody who, at some time, decided to take to the streets. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, a society without protest is a society that does not progress.

Really? I saw an idiot move in front of a horse (perhaps by mistake, perhaps on purpose). Would you jump infront of a moving vehicle? Why would you even come close????

The guy that had his camera "smashed" was taunting police and not following police instruction to move back. That's police brutality, if an officer asks me to move back oh I don't know MAYBE I MOVE THE F**K BACK AND STOP TAUNTING POLICE.

Face it many people went looking for something to bitch about and then whine about it.

Exaclty.

I suspect too many people went down there and were completely naive about how serious the situation was or they knew exactly what might happen and thought they were somehow untouchable. There is no way though, that people were unaware of the risks involved with the G20 summit this weekend. Especially after the violence and ugliness just 24 hrs earlier.

You had to be living on Mars to not know this.

It comes down to understanding the risks and realizing that force might be used.

People made the decision to go down to the frontline of the protests or the immediate vicinity and there were consequences to them being so close to a potentially explosive situation. I was aware of the risks involved in travelling downtown on the weekend. Particularily on sunday and thus I paid close attention to my surroundings, where I was and kept a very respectful distance from the crowds of protestors.

I was very aware of where I was and what was going on. I accepted the risks amd excercised extreme caution.

But if I had gotten approached by police, questioned or detained, I woulld have understood why and not complained about being a victem. Fortunately this didn't happen. You have to accept some responsibility for putting yourself into a potentially dangerous situation which a lot people are refusing to do......

I know this is going to piss off people but personally I think many of those complaining did not actually expect to be arrested or detained and felt entitled to special treatment.

Last edited:
A little levity in the middle of all this bedlam. A crazed consumer looses his marbles when he can't shop at the Eaton Centre during it's lock-down on Saturday. Catch it before it gets taken down, it's been pulled once already.

I think this man has provided the G20 protests with its most important tagline:

"WE ARE THE TORONTO PUBLIC AND WE WANT TO SHOP"

Everyone (protesters, onlookers, media, and cops) wanted a minor ruckus and that's exactly what they got.

Exactly. You put it better than I ever could. People (onlookers, protestors, media) wanted something to happen, it happend and now they're trying to wash their hands cleans.

Last edited:
People made the decision to go down to the frontline of the protests or the immediate vicinity and there were consequences to them being so close to a potentially explosive situation. I was aware of the risks involved in travelling downtown on the weekend. Particularily on sunday and thus I paid close attention to my surroundings, where I was and kept a very respectful distance from the crowds of protestors.

I was very aware of where I was and what was going on. I accepted the risks amd excercised extreme caution.

But if I had gotten approached by police, questioned or detained, I woulld have understood why and not complained about being a victem. Fortunately this didn't happen. You have to accept some responsibility for putting yourself into a potentially dangerous situation which a lot people are refusing to do......

I know this is going to piss off people but personally I think many of those complaing are self entitled brats that expected special treatment. I'm so fed up with this entitlement attitude out there and cult of victemhood that's just so common now.

So, if you go to a dangerous neighbourhood and get mugged, it's your fault?

Stupidity on the part of the citizens should not be justification for police brutality, which includes unreasonable detention. The police have a legal obligation not to infringe on Charter Rights. There is some evidence they did. They have to be investigated for this.

Anyone who argues against this is just annoyed at the protesters. But no matter how annoying they were (and they were annoying!) they deserve Charter Rights. Even brats!

Argue against this, and you are arguing for a police state. Your choice!

Last edited:
Chief Blair has been caught in another lie!

In an interview with the G&M's resident cop-worshiper, Christie Blatchford, he "reveals" that the repatriation ceremony of the Canadian solider last Friday was disrupted by the "Black Block"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rrupted-soldiers-cortge-blair/article1625239/

However a youtube video of the motorcade arriving at the coroners office shows that the ceremony was peaceful and without disruption and there has been no other independent reports of a disruption last Friday despite the fact that 100's of people attend these ceremonies along with the media!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTfnjHRDud4

What I find disgusting is that this man, who was responsible for 100's of Canadians having their basic freedoms taken away from them last week - is using - as a cover - the tragic death of a Canadian soldier who no doubt believed that he was fighting FOR OUR FREEDOMS!

Chief Blair has reached a disgusting new low with this newest lie!

So, if you go to a dangerous neighbourhood and get mugged, it's your fault?

Not what I'm talking about and you know it.

There is a difference between strolling down your street and someone attacking out of nowhere. It's entirely a different scenerio when you intentionally put yourself into a risky situation and something happens. There's a reason why we caution people about being aware of where they are, who they're with and what's happening around them. I was taught this as a kid. My mother drilled it into my head.

I understand that the world isn't always a nice place. I understand that my choices can make things worse.

If you live in a dangerous neighborhood, then it's not the same as visiting a dangerous neighborhood and someone mugging you. Ditto for so many scenerios. What's happening now in our society is that people are not using common sense anymore. They make bad choices and then when shit happens, they expect someone else to rescue them and feel entitle to pity and compensation.

I know my opinions and views, especially on this topic, aren't popular but people need to be held accountable for their own choices and stop playing the blame game.

Last edited:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=455347&id=681970186&l=83cd8e10af

This is a link to a Facebook page, which has images of the guy who trashed the cop car, whom many people suspect of being a cop himself. The person seems quite identifiable. If the police wanted to catch him, surely they could.

37407_10150215689050187_681970186_13398832_5862765_s.jpg

34586_10150215689135187_681970186_13398834_4703146_s.jpg

Here is an even clearer picture of this guy. Note the expensive gear he is wearing? He certainly looks more like a cop than an anarchist! Why haven't the cops plastered this all over the place?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mollymotmot/4741238382/in/photostream/

If you live in a dangerous neighborhood, then it's not the same as visiting a dangerous neighborhood and someone mugging you. Ditto for so many scenerios. What's happening now in our society is that people are not using common sense anymore, they make bad choices and then when shit happens, they expect someone else to rescue them and feel entitle to pity and compensation.

No, actually visiting and living in a dangerous neighbourhood is the same thing. You deserve the same protection in either case. I don't deserve to be mugged in Parkdale, and my friends who visit me don't deserve to be mugged, either. You are arguing for less protection than the law actually provides.

tkip, just because you don't like some people because you think they lack "common sense" does not mean that it justifies what happened to them. I have a feeling we have completely opposite political views, but I would fight for your chance to vent them in a peaceful fashion away from police harm. I think you should probably extend similar sympathy to those people who annoy you.

Oh, and you should because it's the law.

There is a difference between strolling down your street and someone attacking out of nowhere. It's entirely a different scenario when you intentionally put yourself into a risky situation and something happens. There's a reason why we caution people about being aware of where they are, who they're with and what's happening around them. I was taught this as a kid. My mother drilled it into my head.

Last weekend the dangers faced by those taking part demonstrations - or merely in the vicinity of a demonstration - came from one source only - the Police.

If you chose to exercise your right to peaceful assembly for the purpose of protesting (or just happened to be in the area of a protest) you faced the prospect of police brutality, illegal apprehension and searches and illegal detention under conditions worse than Guantanamo Bay!

On Friday I was stopped and given the third degree by a cop as I walked in the direction of Allen Gardens. Why was I "putting myself in this risky situation"? I happen to live right across the street from Allen Gardens. I responded to the inquiries of the douche-bag cop that stopped me - had I not I probably would have landed in the detention centre.

I don't know how anyone can take the position that what happened to the 100's illegally arrested it is just a price to pay for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:

Back