News   May 09, 2024
 516     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 825     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 551     0 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

People need to be peaceful and cooperative rather than agitate security and police forces.

Exactly, keep your head down, your mouth shut, and do as you're told. ;) The 'authorities' are the only ones who know what's best for you.

I think the G20 Summit being held in the heart of Toronto's Financial/Entertainment districts is nothing other than payback by the Harper Gov't for shutting him out during the elctions and denying him his coveted majority.

I am interested in photography strictly in an observational sense: a major event has arrived in my community, things out of the norm are happening, and when that happens I take photos. I know I'm not the only one. But I see it as conceivable that police or security would see this as a potential threat, perhaps protestors or other "evildoers" scoping out the security perimeter.

Any related thoughts or info? I have no political agenda here, but at the same time, it bothers me a little that for the first time I feel hesitant to take photos on the streets of Toronto. I am reminded of the same argument the police often use while installing security cameras all around the city: "If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about". Does this also apply to the police in the line of duty, or am I being hopelessly naive?

Yeah, it's like Toronto's morphing into New York City. I remember when I took a vacation there a few years back and was snapping pictures in the street (Times Square/5th Avenue area), a plain clothes officier out of nowhere warned me to stop. For a second I thought he was going to conviscate my cameraphone. I can empathize with the mindset of wanting to convey to global leaders that Canada is a secure place to conduct business in, and should something go wrong people will always say in hindsight that the security detail should have been greater, but something tells if police glimpse residents acting suspiciously it's probably not because of the Summit but rather due to the discomfort of having their every move monitored and surveilled. As of now, I'm avoiding going anywhere near south of Dundas Street just to avoid all the craziness and heightened paranoia.

Has anybody had experience photographing violent protests? Should I be worried? How do I avoid getting hurt? Any tips on what to expect and how to prepare?

lol.. you're kidding right?

I think a massive ZOOm camera would be in order... just walked around down here..
it's insane!

I think the G20 Summit being held in the heart of Toronto's Financial/Entertainment districts is nothing other than payback by the Harper Gov't for shutting him out during the elctions and denying him his coveted majority.

That's a pessimist view...

How about showcasing the financial heartbeat of the country for a summit that will be heavily related to the 'economic recovery' of the world recession?

People that are politicising his decision a little too much no?

If anything, this decision would be more aligned with the whole NDP look of big administrations and totally against the small 'c' of the conservative camp - I just watned to point that out.

That's a pessimist view...

How about showcasing the financial heartbeat of the country for a summit that will be heavily related to the 'economic recovery' of the world recession?

People that are politicising his decision a little too much no?

If anything, this decision would be more aligned with the whole NDP look of big administrations and totally against the small 'c' of the conservative camp - I just watned to point that out.

Not really showcasing the city if the delegates are inside their own sterile bubble, free from any real Torontonians (save from the ones who live there and, grudgingly, must be let in.)

Not really showcasing the city if the delegates are inside their own sterile bubble, free from any real Torontonians (save from the ones who live there and, grudgingly, must be let in.)

Yeah, but it's an unfortunate reality of life... It's idealistic to think that if we opened up security, all the delegates would be able to share a handshake, and perhaps even a pint?! 2.5 million proper in Toronto.. all it takes is one wacko... hence we have the 1 billion dollar security bill..

How much are world leaders worth?

Yeah, but it's an unfortunate reality of life... It's idealistic to think that if we opened up security, all the delegates would be able to share a handshake, and perhaps even a pint?! 2.5 million proper in Toronto.. all it takes is one wacko... hence we have the 1 billion dollar security bill..

How much are world leaders worth?

I understand why the security is there. I just think that, because of the necessity for security, the city isn't being showcased, and therefore it makes more sense to have the event somewhere else, where it could disturb less people.

It could have been a real opportunity for some smaller community - accomodations could have been built and then used as affordable housing, like in Vancouver.

I understand why the security is there. I just think that, because of the necessity for security, the city isn't being showcased, and therefore it makes more sense to have the event somewhere else, where it could disturb less people.

It could have been a real opportunity for some smaller community - accomodations could have been built and then used as affordable housing, like in Vancouver.

Would they not need the same amount of security in Vancouver?
Are you saying that it might not cost 1 billion?

Still an airport to secure, if anything, might be more difficult with the harbour and the hills by west Van that makes security as much a logistical nightmare

At what cost? The athelete's village is was what around 1000 units with a price tag of a 700 million give or take? And there will sure be many more people at a conference such as this.

At what cost? The athelete's village is was what around 1000 units with a price tag of a 700 million give or take? And there will sure be many more people at a conference such as this.

Creating an infrastructure legacy for the same price as security? Count me in! And factor in the economic activity that won't be lost because Toronto's financial district won't be disturbed...oh man!

Do you really think the G20 will have more people than the Olympics? Athletes have entourages too, and there were way more countries represented at Vancouver than in Toronto.

Creating an infrastructure legacy for the same price as security? Count me in! And factor in the economic activity that won't be lost because Toronto's financial district won't be disturbed...oh man!

Do you really think the G20 will have more people than the Olympics? Athletes have entourages too, and there were way more countries represented at Vancouver than in Toronto.

Average county delegations for G8 are upwards of 400 people. When you add in extra interpreters for added languages that are represented at the G20 (each country would bring their own for side meetings), the wider topics of dicussion, I wouldn't doubt most would be pushing 500 while big countries like USA and China would be close to 1000.

Add to that all the media, from each of those 20 countries (G7 in Calgary I read had around 6000 media members, so perhaps 10-12,000 media for G20).

So lets say conservatively 22,000 delegates and media - there are only three places that can really accomodate that - Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

To build a new city or neighborhood for the event would have been an uproarious expenses at the best of times, and considering the summit was only called a little more than a year ago, would have been even worse.

For comparison the Olympics in Vancouver had 5500 atheletes and Olympic officials (officials, coaches, etc) and 10,000 media reps.

For comparison the Olympics in Vancouver had 5500 atheletes and Olympic officials (officials, coaches, etc) and 10,000 media reps.

There were 10,000 media members at the IBC alone, not including any of the venues or the OBS staff.

Interesting to experience the TD Centre concourse today at a fraction of the usual office-hours traffic; almost felt like a flashback to how it might have been 40 odd years ago...

Downtown traffic has been WAAAAAY below normal levels yesterday and today. This has really minimized the effect of fencing and roadblocks. The Gardiner is free-flowing all day long and traffic is fairly consistently moving around the fences (much better than last week, when Bay, Front, and Wellington were pure gridlock).

I just want to say thanks to everyone who have had their lives disrupted and have made alternate arrangements.

Back