News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 436     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

It's only the G8 up in Muskoka - I suppose the "lesser" 12 countries that make up the G20 will be arriving on Friday. Plus every country here will bring with it hundreds - and in some cases thousands - of staff, who all need to get around too.

They should have held it in Iqaluit--inconvenience as few people as possible and give the visitors a seal steak dinner!

It's only the G8 up in Muskoka - I suppose the "lesser" 12 countries that make up the G20 will be arriving on Friday. Plus every country here will bring with it hundreds - and in some cases thousands - of staff, who all need to get around too.
It's the G8 plus ... some other countries will also be attending, so it's sort of going to be the G17 or something. Lesser countries that don't usually attend have been invited. Which begs the question -- if Huntsville wasn't big enough for the G20, how will it accommodate the G8Plus? Granted, the contingents of the "plus" countries probably won't be that large, but the whole thing is becoming rather silly.

It's the G8 plus ... some other countries will also be attending, so it's sort of going to be the G17 or something. Lesser countries that don't usually attend have been invited. Which begs the question -- if Huntsville wasn't big enough for the G20, how will it accommodate the G8Plus? Granted, the contingents of the "plus" countries probably won't be that large, but the whole thing is becoming rather silly.

Plus countries don't usually get to bring 100s of sherpas and don't require and negoatiaters - they are there to deliver a message. (except for the EU President, which is almost like a quasi leader)

They should have held it in Iqaluit--inconvenience as few people as possible and give the visitors a seal steak dinner!

I think people easily forget just the mass of people that are coming - it is rather insane. Iqualiut could barely accomadate a G7 finance ministers meeting.

Love it! The Europeans would probably scream murder and leave in anger, and then there'd be way less people to deal with.

But seriously, this event could definitely be in many, many places that would inconvenience less people. Why doesn't our beloved Prime Minister have the event in Calgary, with all of his fans? See how much they love him after going through what we're going to go through?

Love it! The Europeans would probably scream murder and leave in anger, and then there'd be way less people to deal with.

But seriously, this event could definitely be in many, many places that would inconvenience less people. Why doesn't our beloved Prime Minister have the event in Calgary, with all of his fans? See how much they love him after going through what we're going to go through?

Calgary doesn't have the hotel space to accommodate the G20, and it hosted the G8 at a nearby ski hill in 2002. While the amount of security is ridiculous at times, and the spending high, I think we still often overlook the sheer scale of this event in the number of media and government officials that are showing up.

Anyone planning on photoblogging the "event"? Either the protestors protesting, or the delegates attending events, or anything else?

I'm planning on shooting the protests. I don't think you'll get anywhere near the delegates unless you're a prescreened member of the media.

The G8/G20 protests are known to get violent and this is what I plan on shooting. Has anybody had experience photographing violent protests? Should I be worried? How do I avoid getting hurt? Any tips on what to expect and how to prepare?

Anyone planning on photoblogging the "event"? Either the protestors protesting, or the delegates attending events, or anything else?

This brings up a question I have: what are the legalities/policies related to public photography during the G20, namely the barricades, fencing, security, etc? I was walking downtown last week and snapped a few photos of the fence along Wellington, and I swear (perhaps I am slighly paranoid after reading so many G20 security-related articles) that I was followed by an undercover security person for several blocks, walking a couple steps behind me muttering into his sleeve.

And a quick Google brings up this article: http://carlosmiller.com/2010/06/08/filmmakers-detained-in-tornonto-convention-center/

I am interested in photography strictly in an observational sense: a major event has arrived in my community, things out of the norm are happening, and when that happens I take photos. I know I'm not the only one. But I see it as conceivable that police or security would see this as a potential threat, perhaps protestors or other "evildoers" scoping out the security perimeter.

Any related thoughts or info? I have no political agenda here, but at the same time, it bothers me a little that for the first time I feel hesitant to take photos on the streets of Toronto. I am reminded of the same argument the police often use while installing security cameras all around the city: "If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about". Does this also apply to the police in the line of duty, or am I being hopelessly naive?

Last edited:
I think people need to be aware about how sensitive this type of summit is, given the history of violence etc. People need to be peaceful and cooperative rather than agitate security and police forces. That doesn't mean surrendering one's rights. However in the video linked above the person who was questioned was calm, cooperative up to his comfort level, and presented himself and his case calmly. Others choose to antagonize police and subsequently cry police brutality.

Hasn't this G20 nonsense gone overboard? Now they are closing seven downtown LCBO stores for 3 days.

This action is being taken to minimize risks to customers and staff and reduce traffic congestion in the downtown core. We apologize for any inconvenience.
http://lcbo.com/main/en_g20_pop.html

Back