Future Toronto 3d model | Page 14

Discussion in 'Renderings & Live Cams' started by innsertnamehere, Jan 11, 2012.

1. WislaHD

WislaHD Senior Member

TDotTeen likes this.

2. Hanlansboy

Hanlansboy Active Member

Amazing, but seeing this, as a health care worker, I'm forced to ask, with so many more people living downtown, why are they not building more necessary infrastructure? All of them, including health care, public transit, shopping, schools, etc..are bursting at the seams already. While I'm so excited to see so many new projects grace our skyline, I'm concerned we'll reach a saturation point, and then surpass it. With no additional services for these new residences, I believe people will begin avoiding the city, and unless something is done to improve these essential services, we'll start loosing citizens. I know the TTC and Metrolinks, along with many hospitals, are greatly expanding, but no where near the rate of residential expansion. Eventually, somethings going to give. Would you stay when it takes years just to find a doctor, and have no efficient means of getting round town?

Odin likes this.
  3. innsertnamehere

innsertnamehere Senior Member

^there are several hospital rebuilds and expansions going on and have been in recent years.. St. Mikes is getting expanded right now.

4. Hanlansboy

Hanlansboy Active Member

I know, I work at St Mikes (technically, but been off sick for 3 years). Once completed, we'll have the biggest ER in Canada, so that will help, but even still, my spouse works in our MRI, just for a regular MRI, it's currently over a year wait, strictly due to volume.

Odin likes this.
  5. ur2thdr

ur2thdr New Member

wow thats cool

6. isaidso

isaidso Active Member

What about just using one colour? Very light and opaque for proposals, less light and less opaque for approved, and darker almost solid colour for under construction. That way the ones that are almost done (and a sure thing) stand out more/look permanent. Just using 1 colour would be less jarring. You'd have to make sure the 3 different versions were easy to tell apart though.

old boy and Tony like this.
  7. shanywany

shanywany New Member

Hey innsertnamehere, I know you have mentioned that given the size of the model you havent been able to upload these files. I was just thinking that one of the values of sketchup and Torontos 3d massing files is that they are open source. Have you considered either breaking up the files further or batching by proposed/under construction/ etc to make these more readily available for others to be immersed in the 3d world? Im just curious because Im currently at school for masters of architecture and I know a lot of my undergrad students that I TA for would appreciate this type of visualization of the city.

8. innsertnamehere

innsertnamehere Senior Member

Just letting everyone know this thing is still kicking. I got very lazy with it over the summer, but have had some time to work on it over the christmas break now to see it updated. As it stands now I've done around 30 updates to buildings / created new ones, with about another 30 to go before it is "current". Its been a bit of an uphill climb though as I started the break with around 30 "needed updates", and have added another 30 over the last few weeks as a slurry of new proposals came in.

I'll be done school come spring, so I thinking i'll be scaling back the model in some capacity to make it lower maintenance, as I likely just won't have the time anymore. I'm not entirely sure what that means yet. I may scale it down to buildings under construction only, make it so all buildings are only a single colour, or reduce the "range" of the model perhaps to a more limited view of the direct downtown.

Regardless, there will hopefully be an update soon.

Axf4ever, skycandy, isaidso and 5 others like this.