News   May 06, 2024
 54     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 608     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 549     0 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

I'll withdraw from political discourse here. I think you lot would rather circle jerk each other in a bias-confirming echo chamber than hear dissenting thoughts.

Enjoy the next 8 years of MAGA. :)

Trump happened because of you.

It happened because you banned super-size sodas. And smoking in parks. And offensive ideas on campus. Because you branded people who oppose gay marriage ‘homophobic’, and people unsure about immigration ‘racist’.

Because you treated owning a gun and never having eaten quinoa as signifiers of fascism. Because you thought correcting people’s attitudes was more important than finding them jobs. Because you turned ‘white man’ from a description into an insult. Because you used slurs like ‘denier’ and ‘dangerous’ against anyone who doesn’t share your eco-pieties.

Because you treated dissent as hate speech and criticism of Obama as extremism. Because you talked more about gender-neutral toilets than about home repossessions. Because you beatified Caitlyn Jenner. Because you policed people’s language, rubbished their parenting skills, took the piss out of their beliefs.

Because you cried when someone mocked the Koran but laughed when they mocked the Bible. Because you said criticising Islam is Islamophobia. Because you kept telling people, ‘You can’t think that, you can’t say that, you can’t do that.’

Because you turned politics from something done by and for people to something done to them, for their own good. Because you treated people like trash. And people don’t like being treated like trash. Trump happened because of you.

Get a grip.

Not the last we'll hear of this trend...

q-wO9puQ_normal.jpg
Les Perreaux@perreaux
19 mins ago
Can't quite get over that refugees are walking to Manitoba in January to get out of the United States. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/border-412356543.html

How many Muslim refugees in the U.S. might follow?

"Too many," Abdi replied, sitting in an office at the Welcome Place, which offers government-assisted refugees in Manitoba temporary shelter and legal assistance to refugee claimants like Abdi. "Not to follow me. They will run from Trump. Muslims say America is not safe right now."

I wouldn't take such stories seriously. Technically speaking, Canada and the U.S. have similar asylum/protection frameworks. An asylum seeker denied of refugee status in the U.S. will not simply get it in Canada.

I wouldn't take such stories seriously. Technically speaking, Canada and the U.S. have similar asylum/protection frameworks. An asylum seeker denied of refugee status in the U.S. will not simply get it in Canada.

At this point yes, though I am not sure how the Safe Third Country agreement can continue to stand at a logical level if and when the US becomes anything but "safe".

AoD

Illegals crossing the bordering may become a concern (both for their well-being and for our security) at the land borders.

It's difficult to fully monitor the entire border with its length- you might see a bump up in crossings in Quebec (the border with Maine/Vermont, proximity to Montreal), and the prairies provinces, especially Manitoba (proximity to Minnesota with its large Somali population, Winnipeg).

Ontario and BC borders should be fine due to the presence of natural barriers, and Alberta/Saskatchewan/ New Brunswick border states with low populations, so their bumps might be less. I think that the usual goal of any illegals would be to first find their way to the nearest large city where immigration services and support network are located before dispersing across the county.

Donald Trump just gave a Black History Month speech about the persecution of Donald Trump

The U.S. president’s speech, on the first day of Black History Month, repeated a long list of personal grievances and said little about African-Americans.

See link:

Happy Black History Month, everyone. Have you heard about the greatness and persecution of Donald J. Trump?

The president of the United States held an “African-American History Month listening session” in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on Wednesday. He began with a five-minute monologue that was more about himself — his campaign, his alleged mistreatment by the media, his popularity — than it was about African-Americans.

Trump’s third paragraph, for example, started with a single sentence about the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. It was followed by 10 sentences of grievance about his alleged mistreatment by the media.

Read the latest news on U.S. President Donald Trump

Trump said King’s “incredible example is unique in American history.” Immediately, he pivoted to his oft-repeated gripe about a Time reporter’s erroneous claim — which the reporter quickly corrected and apologized for — that he had removed a King bust from the Oval Office after moving in.

“You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. And it turned out that that was fake news,” Trump said.

“The statue is cherished. It’s one of the favourite things — and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson, and we have Dr. Martin Luther King. And we have other (sic). But they said the statue, the bust, of Dr. Martin Luther King was taken out of the office. And it was never even touched. So I think it was a disgrace, but that’s the way the press is. It’s very unfortunate.”

Trump did not spend any more time on the other black icons he mentioned. About Frederick Douglass, the 19th-century slavery abolitionist, writer and speaker, Trump said: “Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job that is being recognized more and more, I notice.”

Trump, who spent years promoting a racist lie about Barack Obama’s citizenship, is overwhelmingly unpopular in the black community. His latest comments were greeted with astonishment, alarm and anger among black Americans, among others, on Twitter.

“OH. MY. EFFING. GAWD. Trump’s Black History Month speech is an abomination,” said Sil Lai Abrams, author of the book Black Lotus, saying it involved “racism” and “tokenism.”

“This transcript is barely English,” said Kwanza Osajyefo, creator of the comic book BLACK.

“Donald Trump doesn’t care about black people,” wrote Kwame Opam, an editor at The Verge, referencing a famous Kanye West line about then-president George W. Bush.

Even former first daughter Chelsea Clinton waded in, suggesting she was speechless: “This is...this is...”

Attendees of the gathering — which Trump opened by saying, “This is Black History Month, so this is our little breakfast” — all appeared to be vocal Trump supporters, such as incoming housing secretary Ben Carson, former Apprentice reality villain Omarosa Manigault, pastor Darrell Scott and television commentator Paris Dennard.

Trump managed to turn even his introductions into an attack on a media outlet he doesn’t like.

“Paris has done an amazing job in a very hostile CNN community; he’s all by himself. Seven people and Paris. I’ll take Paris over the seven. But I don’t watch CNN, so I don’t get to see you as much. I don’t like watching fake news. But Fox has treated me very nice, wherever Fox is, thank you. We’re going to need better schools, and we need ‘em soon. We need more jobs, we need better wages, a lot better wages,” Trump said.

Trump did offer some words of praise for black Americans, saying “their story is one of unimaginable sacrifice, hard work, and faith in America.” Returning to his association of black communities with crime, for which he received black criticism during the campaign, he also promised to “work very hard on the inner city,” calling black communities so unsafe it is “terrible.”

And then he continued on his favourite subject: his own success.

“If you remember, I wasn’t going to do well with the African-American community, and after they heard me speaking and talking about the inner city and lots of other things, we ended up getting, I won’t go into details, but we ended up getting substantially more than other candidates who had run in the past years,” he said. “And now we’re going to take that to new levels. I want to thank my television star over here — Omarosa’s actually a very nice person. Nobody knows that.”

Trump’s administration has also managed to generate anger with a Holocaust remembrance statement (which omitted any mention of Jewish people) and condolence remarks on the Quebec City mosque massacre (which his spokesman used to justify his travel ban targeting Muslims). He has only been president a week and a half.

Here is a full transcript of Trump’s remarks:

Well the election, it came out really well. Next time we’ll triple the number (of black votes) or quadruple it. We want to get it over 51, right. At least 51.

Well, this is Black History Month, so this is our little breakfast, our little get-together. And just a few notes. During this month, we honour the tremendous history of the African-Americans throughout our country. Throughout the world, if you really think about it, right. And their story is one of unimaginable sacrifice, hard work, and faith in America. I’ve gotten a real glimpse during the campaign; I’d go around with Ben to a lot of places that I wasn’t so familiar with. They’re incredible people. And I want to thank Ben Carson, who’s going to be heading up HUD (Housing and Urban Development), and it’s a big job, and it’s a job that’s not only housing, it’s mind and spirit, right? And you understand that. Nobody’s going to be better than Ben.

Last month we celebrated the life of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. And it turned out that that was fake news. The statue is cherished. It’s one of the favourite things — and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson, and we have Dr. Martin Luther King. And we have other. But they said the statue, the bust, of Dr. Martin Luther King was taken out of the office. And it was never even touched. So I think it was a disgrace, but that’s the way the press is. It’s very unfortunate.

I am very proud now that we have a museum, National Mall, where people can learn about Reverend King, so many other things, Frederick Doug — Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job that is being recognized more and more, I notice. Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, and millions more black Americans who made America what it is today. Big impact. I’m proud to honour this heritage and will be honouring it more and more.

Folks at the table, in almost all cases, have been great friends and supporters. And Darrell, I met Darrell when he was defending me on television. And the people that were on the other side of the argument didn’t have a chance, right. And Paris has done an amazing job in a very hostile CNN community; he’s all by himself. Seven people and Paris. I’ll take Paris over the seven. But I don’t watch CNN, so I don’t get to see you as much. I don’t like watching fake news. But Fox has treated me very nice, wherever Fox is, thank you. We’re going to need better schools, and we need ‘em soon. We need more jobs, we need better wages, a lot better wages. We’re going to work very hard on the inner city. Ben’s going to be doing that, big league, that’s one of his big things that we’re going to be looking at. We need safer communities and we’re going to do that with law enforcement. We’re going to make it safe. We’re going to make it much better than it is right now. Right now it’s terrible.

I saw you talking about it the other night, Paris, on something else that was really — you did a fantastic job the other night on a very unrelated show. I’m ready to do my part, and I will say this, we’re going to work together. This is a great group, this is a group that’s been so special to me, you really helped me a lot. If you remember, I wasn’t going to do well with the African-American community, and after they heard me speaking and talking about the inner city and lots of other things, we ended up getting, I won’t go into details, but we ended up getting substantially more than other candidates who had run in the past years. And now we’re going to take that to new levels. I want to thank my television star over here — Omarosa’s actually a very nice person. Nobody knows that. I don’t want to destroy her reputation. She is a very good person and she’s been helpful right from the beginning with the campaign and I appreciate it, I really do. Very special. So I want to thank everybody for being here.

WTF happened to the United States? How can a country go from a global leader in science, invention, engineering, innovation, education, literacy and advocacy and become this sh#tshow circus?

Those things haven't disappeared yet - and that leadership was in any event never evenly distributed among its' populace in the first place. We shall see whether it can maintain it though. The change in tone by even those who are normally more stoic (and conservative, incidentally) the last day or so is becoming most disturbing - though personally I think their faith in the institutions is misplaced to start.

In other news, Trump just thrown Australia under the bus, and the first US strike at Yemen directed by the administration ended up being a nightmare of sorts. Nothing to see here.

AoD

Last edited:
It's only a matter of time before Trump starts having some problems with Trudeau as well.

Well after reading that article from the Washington Post, I'm suddenly curious if his call with our PM went the same way.

Indeed. The call didn't get leaked, and nobody is talking so maybe it is "ok". It's only a matter of time though.

AoD

Indeed. The call didn't get leaked, and nobody is talking so maybe it is "ok". It's only a matter of time though.

AoD

We shouldn't have an issue - yet. Trump's annoyed about Obama agreeing to take refugees off of Australia's hand. Trudeau's offering the opposite.

It does seem inevitable that everyone will have an issue with Trump though.

Trump had a rather awkward phone call with the Australian PM too.

I found the news of the call with the Australian PM ridiculous. Apparently Trump was bragging about the size of his election win (one must grant him the fact that he achieved the very difficult task of winning the presidency, but his win ranks 46th out of 58 - hardly a landslide). Even on calls with other leaders, his ego needs stroking.

And while I never agreed with Obama's deal to swap asylum seekers with Australia (largely because it helps support Australia's current inhumane treatment of asylum seekers in Nauru and Manus), Trump's reasons for disliking it are just uninformed and knee-jerk ("the next generation of Boston bombers") - what a bigot.

Back